Forum | The Bad Religion Page - Since 1995 What are you reading? - The Bad Religion page forum - Page 24
Quote of the day: "And I want to conquer the world, give all the idiots a brand new religion" - I Want To Conquer The World
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

What are you reading?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2223242526 28>
Author
Some Guy View Drop Down
American Jesus (Mod)
American Jesus (Mod)
Voice of Flavorlessness

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Some Guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/26/2012 at 22:53
Originally posted by Alice Alice wrote:

The Arsenic Century: How Victorian Britain was Poisoned at Home, Work, and Play by James C. Whorton.  It's quite fascinating.
For a second there I was wondering how this Whorton guy managed to poison Britain so thoroughly. Then I read it again and felt stupid. lol
Maybe in order to understand mankind, we have to look at the word itself. It's made up of two separate words: "mank" and "ind." What do these words mean? It's a mystery, and that's why so is mankind.
Alice View Drop Down
Automatic Man
Automatic Man
12 hours wiser

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/27/2012 at 04:38
Originally posted by Some Guy Some Guy wrote:

The Arsenic Century: How Victorian Britain was Poisoned at Home, Work, and Play by James C. Whorton.  It's quite fascinating.
For a second there I was wondering how this Whorton guy managed to poison Britain so thoroughly. Then I read it again and felt stupid. lol

Judging by the book's content, I don't think the British needed any help in poisoning themselves. They did a damn fine job of it on their own!
Alice View Drop Down
Automatic Man
Automatic Man
12 hours wiser

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/27/2012 at 04:39
Originally posted by frod79 frod79 wrote:

foreward by S.Y. Priors

It all makes sense now...
brdanne View Drop Down
Billy Gnosis
Billy Gnosis

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brdanne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/30/2012 at 01:31
Blood Fire Death-The Swedish Metal History  \m/
Through the darkness of future past, The magician longs to see, One chance out between two worlds: Fire walk with me.
Kai View Drop Down
Lost Pilgrim
Lost Pilgrim

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/08/2012 at 20:44
I just finished reading Catcher in the Rye by J.D. Salinger. Great book I love Holden's views on people. Now I'm reading Slaughterhouse Five By Kurt Vonnegut.
I have an evil plan to save the world, and I think it's better than the way it's being run/
Warstub View Drop Down
The Same Person
The Same Person
Biggest brpage Tool... Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Warstub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/08/2012 at 21:49
I didn't think much of Cather in the Rye when I read it a few years back. I started Slaughterhouse-5 but stopped for some reason. Must try that one again.
Check out my novel 'I am the Local Atheist' at: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00FLWDBKS
Raindancer View Drop Down
Automatic Man
Automatic Man
It's Rainy man. Hallelujah!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raindancer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/09/2012 at 00:18
I just started reading 'the name of the rose' which I always wanted to read. So far it's great.
Ich bin ein Weltraumfahrer, ein Regentänzer, ein Waldbeschützer
Atzlan View Drop Down
Hippy Killer
Hippy Killer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atzlan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/09/2012 at 11:43
Just finished the newest Dark Tower... The Wind Through the Keyhole.... That makes  all 8 Dark Tower books in about 6 weeks.

Holy amazing, Batman.
Well madness reigned and paradise drowned...
Warstub View Drop Down
The Same Person
The Same Person

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Warstub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/09/2012 at 12:58
Originally posted by Raindancer Raindancer wrote:

I just started reading 'the name of the rose' which I always wanted to read. So far it's great.
I've always wanted to read that book as well. Let me know how you get on.
Check out my novel 'I am the Local Atheist' at: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00FLWDBKS
Warstub View Drop Down
The Same Person
The Same Person

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Warstub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/12/2012 at 18:18

Okay, so I started The Lovely Bones while waiting for parents to turn up at a teacher-parent meeting and issued it from the school library the next day on the assumption that since the first 2 pages had caught me in the moment and I had kept reading, that the same moment would take me when I got home, however, it has been over a week and I've only made it as far as the 5th or 6th page - it waits on my night table for me to make more effort.

I drove to Hamilton on Friday with a fellow teacher for a Music-teaching course and after lunch we got lost in the non-negotiable streets of Hamilton (where the hell are all your damn road signs?), so I said lets just skip the last lecture and go to this awesome 2nd hand bookshop that I used to frequent. This was a mutually agreed upon term. Inside, I - naturally - went to the Science-Fiction and Fantasy section seeking out first editions, but instead chose some paperbacks by Robert Heinlein and Little, Big by John Crowley which has been a must-read of mine for many years now. After Carrie had cursed me for enticing her into a 2nd-hand bookshop (sounds like someone else I know :P), strolled down to the cash-register, handed over her cash, and then excused herself for a toilet break, I took some time to browse the music section whereby I found Beecham Remembered by Humphrey Proctor-Gregg who was a musician who played under Beecham's baton for some years.

Arriving back at my beach-side abode, I sat down with Beecham Remembered and started reading in front of the TV, discovering how my favourite conductor of Frederick Delius' music was once a national institution of England's music scene, taking concerts all over the world, conducting all major composers as well as debuting and revitalising many since forgotten composers. No one has ever equaled the recording achievements that he bestowed upon the music of Delius, or spoke with such passion about why we should hold Mozart above all others as the greatest composer ever. I continue to read with much joy.

Since the day in Hamilton had required much driving (albeit, unintentional), I decided to head to bed early in the evening and take Little, Big with me - The Lovely Bones eyeing me suspiciously from the side drawer. It is rare for a book to grab me instantly and keep me reading through the share joy of the written language that appears on each page. I do not remember the feeling of wanting to continue reading since a very long time ago, and this is putting aside the Philip K. Dick books that I have enjoyed reading for many years now; John Crowley's prose in this story blinds me to the considerations of how thick the novel is and how long that thickness may take me to traverse. I may only enjoy this for the share joy of reading and the wonderful images that are conjured up in my mind if the story itself is less to rave about, but if that be the only joy, then it will be enough to sustain me.

Edited by Warstub - 05/12/2012 at 18:23
Gravel View Drop Down
The Same Person
The Same Person
I Rock More Than YOU

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gravel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/04/2012 at 21:10
Prose is the most important part of any writing, in my humble opinion.
The greats weren't great because at birth they could paint; the greats were great because they paint a lot!
skellington88 View Drop Down
Blenderhead
Blenderhead

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skellington88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/04/2012 at 23:53
I am reading Overthrow by Stephen Kinzer. It is an excellent overview of many nations we have been directly involved in overthrowing leaders (often democratically elected leaders). Generally it has been in the name of special interests and false information. I didn't know the U.S. has been in the business of regime change for over 100 years. I highly recommend the book; though, I am only 2/3 of the way through.
"This is where it all begins, on the outside lookin' in." -Danny Elfman
Warstub View Drop Down
The Same Person
The Same Person

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Warstub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/05/2012 at 00:26
Originally posted by Gravel Gravel wrote:

May I correct you and say 'prose style'? Prose is after all the written form outside of poetry. I believe that style is just what makes a book readable for some people. Philp K. Dick is never thought of as a stylist but his work resonates with many people who have a concern for the metaphysics and the individual's place in, what is often in his works, a crumbling society. The style of prose that John Crowley presented me with in Little, Big  was very descriptive in a highly imaginative way - as though all thoughts, ideas and feelings had a life of their own - but much of that has disapated as though entropy were working a steady grip upon the author's creative momentum. I have already stopped reading after only about 60 odd pages. I want to continue, but each time I pick it up, the meandering style does not seem descriptive enough to keep me reading.
Alice View Drop Down
Automatic Man
Automatic Man
12 hours wiser

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/05/2012 at 03:36
The Lovely Bones wasn't exactly a fabulous book. I remember reading it, but not much else about it. Apart from the ending, which really was an effort in "how dumb and unbelievable an ending can this be/ get?" Apparently quite a lot, given how ridiculous it gets.

And I quite like second-hand book stores. It doesn't take much to entice me into one. I just object to how much I have to hand over for some of the books!
Robo Pilgrim View Drop Down
Generator
Generator
linkage robot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robo Pilgrim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/05/2012 at 03:41
The film was rubbish.
I'm The Greatest™
Warstub View Drop Down
The Same Person
The Same Person

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Warstub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/05/2012 at 12:18
I stopped reading The Lovely Bones and returned it to the school library. I'm reading Pig-Heart Boy now because it's been recommended as an early teen novel to study in class.
-Fatal- Apocalypse View Drop Down
Infected
Infected
Hail!raiser

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote -Fatal- Apocalypse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/05/2012 at 14:01
Originally posted by Gravel Gravel wrote:

That line lacks prose for me to care ;)
*I Remember The Future.*
Raindancer View Drop Down
Automatic Man
Automatic Man
It's Rainy man. Hallelujah!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raindancer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/06/2012 at 08:36
Originally posted by Warstub Warstub wrote:

Originally posted by Raindancer Raindancer wrote:

I've always wanted to read that book as well. Let me know how you get on.

I finished it a couple weeks ago but just remembered I still have to answer that post.

First, this book is long. About 1/3 of the time it's a story about two monks trying to identify a serial killer in an abbey. That part of the book is fun to read. It's exciting and sometimes scary. The other 2/3 those same monks are debating with others about some theological stuff I don't give a fuck about. Probably I just don't get what the author wants to tell me but I found those passages often boring.

Ich bin ein Weltraumfahrer, ein Regentänzer, ein Waldbeschützer
GillesDeRiceKrispies View Drop Down
Automatic Man
Automatic Man

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GillesDeRiceKrispies Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/06/2012 at 20:37
The Foundation novels, Neuromancer, The Illuminatus! Trilogy, Principia Discordia, and I'm going to start on Being And Nothingness and Infinite Jest soon.
Christmas Halford is watching you all year every year.
I have a way with words like pedophiles have a way with children, consequently I'm not allowed within 500 feet of a bookstore or library.
Gravel View Drop Down
The Same Person
The Same Person
I Rock More Than YOU

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gravel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/06/2012 at 21:04
Confessions of an Economic Hitman, and Cryptonomicon

edit
@Gilles what's your thoughts on Illuminatus!  I think I wanna read it next.

Edited by Gravel - 08/06/2012 at 21:11
The greats weren't great because at birth they could paint; the greats were great because they paint a lot!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2223242526 28>
  Share Topic