Forum | The Bad Religion Page - Since 1995 Defining Bad Religion - The Bad Religion page forum
Quote of the day: "It's natural to feel unlucky. Too many winners spoil the prize. So if you're on the bottom don't you cry." - Since Now
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Defining Bad Religion

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Jesse View Drop Down
Staff
Staff
I'm with him

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jesse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Defining Bad Religion
    Posted: 11/27/2008 at 15:39
The new site has been live for almost a month, yet there are only two new interpretations added to the Defining Bad Religion section.
After seeing some discussions about lyric interpretations in several threads, I decided to promote the Defining Bad Religion in this topic. So what’s the deal with Defining Bad Religion…
  1. In this section you can write your own interpretation of Bad Religion songs. However it should not become a discussion board. Basically you can agree or disagree with ones’ interpretation, but you’ll always have to give some good arguments. So scoffing at others’ interpretations and personal assaults are not allowed.
  2. Only interpretations are allowed. So comments such as “I like this song” or interpretations without arguments (such as “It’s about God.”) should not be posted.
  3. An interpretation is personal. So even if it doesn’t conform to the meaning of the songwriter, it doesn’t necessarily mean that the interpretation is wrong. We’re interested in all interpretations! So let’s keep it fun.
  4. If you write an interpretation, try to pay some attention to the punctuation. It makes it easier to read and could help to prevent misunderstandings.
I’d also like to point out that there’s a difference between an ‘interpretation’ and a ‘meaning’. If a band member has ‘revealed’ the true story behind a lyric, this will be the real meaning of a song. For example: if Greg Graffin explains that Adam's Atoms is about the economist Adam Smith, we will have to take that for granted. But if somebody interprets the lyric as being written about Adam and Eve, it will be an interpretation. Even though it might not fit with the original meaning, it still can be a valid, but different way of thinking about a lyric.

And last but not least, here’s an excellent way to describe ‘interpreting lyrics’ by Jay Bentley:
Quote Everyone has their own interpretation of a song meaning, and unless it's way off base. Why not let them have it. I have ideas about what songs mean to me that are very personal and I know there is no way the author could have been writing my thoughts. Think of it as a painting, everyone will look at it differently. There is only one true subject, but the interpretations are unlimited.

So let’s go and start adding your interpretations! There are still hardly any interpretations on all songs of New Maps Of Hell!

The interpretations are fully integrated into the discography section. So simply look up a song (by searching or by browsing through the discography) and you'll find the interpretations on that page. Plus, the latest interpretations are always shown on the Defining BR page.

Edited by Marty - 08/18/2019 at 12:07
smarti22 View Drop Down
Billy Gnosis
Billy Gnosis
Get off my lawn!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smarti22 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/27/2008 at 21:35

There doesn't seem to be a way to post unless you quote somebody.  Am I missing a button?

Angry nerd, sanctimonious minion, Juris Doctor.
The Crotch View Drop Down
Hippy Killer
Hippy Killer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Crotch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/27/2008 at 21:44
The reply button?  It's right beside the quote button for me.

Or just use the quick reply like I generally do.
DIE! on organic poison gas!
smarti22 View Drop Down
Billy Gnosis
Billy Gnosis
Get off my lawn!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smarti22 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/27/2008 at 21:51
Quick reply isn't there... unless I'm seriously missing something...
Marty View Drop Down
Admin
Admin
I'm with her

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/29/2008 at 02:48
Originally posted by smarti22 smarti22 wrote:

Quick reply isn't there... unless I'm seriously missing something...
Where exactly are you looking? In the forum or where you can add an interpretation?
The Crotch View Drop Down
Hippy Killer
Hippy Killer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Crotch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/29/2008 at 09:58
Do you have the WYSIWYG option turned on?  Because I think you need to have that enabled.

I think.
DIE! on organic poison gas!
smarti22 View Drop Down
Billy Gnosis
Billy Gnosis
Get off my lawn!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smarti22 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/29/2008 at 11:57
Okay, so it works in Firefox, but not in IE.  Guess that just figures...
Marty View Drop Down
Admin
Admin
I'm with her

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/29/2008 at 12:44
Originally posted by smarti22 smarti22 wrote:

Okay, so it works in Firefox, but not in IE.  Guess that just figures...
Ok, I've spotted the problem now. Thanks.
I'm not at home right now, but it'll be fixed in a couple of hours.

Damn IE. Damn it to hell.

Edited by Marty - 11/29/2008 at 12:44
Marty View Drop Down
Admin
Admin
I'm with her

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/30/2008 at 04:51

I was able to fix the "Add an interpretation" link on each of the song pages. So start adding your interpretations everyone! :)

coleone View Drop Down
Incomplete
Incomplete

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coleone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/18/2012 at 05:47
Everything
Caro View Drop Down
Blenderhead
Blenderhead

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Caro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/15/2014 at 11:03
Hello World!

Finally this deep insight has to be revealed. Observing global coincidence, re-enacting bit by bit influential Bad Religion songtexts along the way it has become more than obvious that there has been manifold, multifaceted inspiration to the band and their songwriters. Inspiration of course not only on material level, such as lyrics on the album "Generator" or of the song "21st century digital boy" that explicitly refer to literature and quotations which they were inspired by but also inspiration on spiritual level, such as lectures and literature by contemporary professors and scientists that were somehow or other familiar with characteristics of the band but impossibly conscious or cognitive to them.

A striking example was the British scientist Baroness Prof. Dr. Susan Greenfield (of Austrian and Russian descent) who lectured in Berlin on April 28, 2010 for the 200th anniversary of the Humboldt University while Bad Religion celebrated their 30th anniversary:

See Prof. Dr. Greenfield lecture at the HU Berlin

Greenfield's ideas are present to BR-lyrics such as
"modern man" - "struck a nerve"- "infected"(maximally) - "meeting of the minds"
so that the presumtion suggested itself that Greg and Brett were Susan's soul mates or constantly perfoming tributes to the Oxford-based Londoner.

Hence he BR-concert in Berlin's Huxleys 2010 appeard to be very harmonic with the posted "performance" in the Humboldt-University about one month before. Anyone else who saw both live?

RIP to Susan's father who died in early 2011.
Source: Fisher Science World Spain 2011 in three parts:

Underlying references to the insight were not only the band members of Bad Religion mentoring, but also other global players such as the philosophers Prof. Dr. Richard Swinburne (film), PhD Mishka Jambor (Sidney) ('97), Jennifer Batten (film), Marla Glen (film), Prof. Dr. Susanne Albers (film) and a few others that are not present to the mind this sunday, four years and one week after the mentionned above concert the forthcoming "standing in line" to be processed.

Thank you for your attention!

This message has been sponsored by All about J.
___ thinking about a signature text that is sufficiently responsible.
Caro View Drop Down
Blenderhead
Blenderhead

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Caro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/15/2014 at 11:10
Correction:
Marty View Drop Down
Admin
Admin
I'm with her

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/15/2014 at 13:34
If you wouldn't have specifically used the words 'bad' and 'religion' in your post I would've thought you're a spambot and blocked your account.
Greg Giraffin View Drop Down
Generator
Generator
Master of Puppies

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greg Giraffin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/15/2014 at 13:58
Originally posted by Marty Marty wrote:

If you wouldn't have specifically used the words 'bad' and 'religion' in your post I would've thought you're a spambot and blocked your account.

lol... i had the same thought

I did hear about some bot passing the turing test the other day. Maybe the robot uprising is happening.
Gravel View Drop Down
The Same Person
The Same Person
I Rock More Than YOU

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gravel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/15/2014 at 14:16
Originally posted by Greg Giraffin Greg Giraffin wrote:

Originally posted by Marty Marty wrote:

lol... i had the same thought

I did hear about some bot passing the turing test the other day. Maybe the robot uprising is happening.

Ignoring for a moment that Turing tests are mostly laughable (Alan Turing created them as a kind of joke), claiming a chat-bot passed the Turing test is kind of an inside joke - chat bots are not true AI.

Also, humans often fail the Turing test as well.

Also, Cleverbot scored higher on the Turing test than this chatbot did.

dont take my word for it though
http://www.wired.com/2014/06/turing-test-not-so-fast/

Edited by Gravel - 06/15/2014 at 14:25
The greats weren't great because at birth they could paint; the greats were great because they paint a lot!
Caro View Drop Down
Blenderhead
Blenderhead

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Caro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/15/2014 at 16:28
So Turing killed Greenfield?
Marty View Drop Down
Admin
Admin
I'm with her

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/16/2014 at 01:12
Originally posted by Caro Caro wrote:

So Turing killed Greenfield?
Oh yes, definitely. The purple monkey swam across the river kwai.
Caro View Drop Down
Blenderhead
Blenderhead

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Caro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/17/2014 at 10:23
You've surely been to Thailand^^
Let's wait for "Bangkok live" by Bad Religion!
Have they ever been touring there?
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic