Forum | The Bad Religion Page - Since 1995 21st Century (Digital Boy) on No Control? - The Bad Religion page forum - Page 1
Quote of the day: "What they created was a family story no one will tell. Itís a photo album too terrible. But the pride and the pallor continue to swell as the matron silently prays." - Pride and the Pallor
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

21st Century (Digital Boy) on No Control?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Marty View Drop Down
Admin
Admin
I'm with her

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 21st Century (Digital Boy) on No Control?
    Posted: 01/07/2009 at 12:14
I found this blog where someone states the following:
Quote Although it appeared on Against the Grain, 21st Century (Digital Boy) didn't became a hit until it appeared on Stranger Than Fiction. It was slated to appear on Bad Religion's fourth album, No Control, but was deemed to slow of a song for the band.

I haven't heard this one before. Do you guys think there's any truth in it? Jay...?
Robo Pilgrim View Drop Down
Generator
Generator
linkage robot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robo Pilgrim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/07/2009 at 12:41
Too slow? It's no slower than Sanity. 
Go on take a swig of that poison and like it
tested View Drop Down
Billy Gnosis
Billy Gnosis

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tested Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/07/2009 at 15:58
I've got a bootleg copy of their Acoustic show and interview on KROQ from a few years ago, where the talk about it, and that, (plus my own recollection) seems to suggest this; Brett wrote the song for No Control, (hence the reference to the album in the song), but the producer, and possible the other members of the band thought it was too mainstream rock-ish, and left it go. They picked it up on Against the Grain, and weren't sure that it would be "accepted" by their fans and the punk community, however the airplay it recieved on KROQ helped to solidify the song as a semi-popular song, and eventually re-recorded for Stranger Than Ficition, and became one of their biggest hits.
Edit: Jay most likely knows what really went on and is really the one to ask
Disclaimer: This is only my memory here, and I could be remebering some things incorrectly, or be just plain wrong!   

Edited by tested - 01/07/2009 at 16:02
“When you do things right, people won’t be sure you’ve done anything at all.”
nropevolI View Drop Down
Infected
Infected
pr0n Jeremy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nropevolI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/09/2009 at 06:16
I don't think it matters that much. There was only a year between those albums. It's not like it was written in 1982. I want to know how old the songs on TPOB were
Marty View Drop Down
Admin
Admin
I'm with her

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/09/2009 at 12:55
Well, it may be only one year... but personally I think NC and ATG are very different. Both in sound and style.
So actually I'm trying to image what No Control would have been like with 21st Century (Digital Boy)... and Against The Grain without that song.
One song could have major impact on an album...
tested View Drop Down
Billy Gnosis
Billy Gnosis

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tested Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/09/2009 at 14:57
Originally posted by nropevolI nropevolI wrote:

I want to know how old the songs on TPOB were
Weren't the songs on TPOB new songs (at the time) just in the old style altough maybe Brett was hanging on to some stuff he had written durring his absence?
Agrigate View Drop Down
Blenderhead
Blenderhead

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Agrigate Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/09/2009 at 21:00
Originally posted by Marty Marty wrote:

Well, it may be only one year... but personally I think NC and ATG are very different. Both in sound and style.
So actually I'm trying to image what No Control would have been like with 21st Century (Digital Boy)... and Against The Grain without that song.
One song could have major impact on an album...

I don't think ATG would have been much different, but it would have been interesting to see where and how it would fit on NC. Right after I Want Something More would have been interesting. 
What was wrong with the old America?
Marty View Drop Down
Admin
Admin
I'm with her

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/10/2009 at 02:42
Originally posted by Agrigate Agrigate wrote:

I don't think ATG would have been much different, but it would have been interesting to see where and how it would fit on NC. Right after I Want Something More would have been interesting. 
Or instead of The World Won't Stop Without You... That would be my vote.
Agrigate View Drop Down
Blenderhead
Blenderhead

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Agrigate Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/10/2009 at 16:21

Originally posted by Agrigate Agrigate wrote:

Or instead of The World Won't Stop Without You... That would be my vote.
Hey I can see that working! As long as it wouldn't fade out, and ends with "Ain't life a mystery!" like in the live shows
GillesDeRiceKrispies View Drop Down
Automatic Man
Automatic Man

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GillesDeRiceKrispies Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/10/2009 at 17:31
Personally, I'd put it right after Sanity - I think the outro to that right next to the intro of Digital Boy could be interesting. 
tested View Drop Down
Billy Gnosis
Billy Gnosis

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tested Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/10/2009 at 17:35

Yep, that's where I'd put it too.

Agrigate View Drop Down
Blenderhead
Blenderhead

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Agrigate Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/10/2009 at 17:57
Originally posted by Brmarlin Brmarlin wrote:

Personally, I'd put it right after Sanity - I think the outro to that right next to the intro of Digital Boy could be interesting. 
Nah, I prefer how the beat goes into Henchman too much to fuck that up.
AnxietyDestroys View Drop Down
Hippy Killer
Hippy Killer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AnxietyDestroys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/11/2009 at 09:15
I like ATG version of Digital Boy.

Anyway ever listen to 21st Century Schizoid Man?... that song and album are amazing..
Anti- View Drop Down
Generator
Generator
Butt-head

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anti- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/11/2009 at 09:54
I drool when I imagine that... No Control would have been even better than it is now. And it is a fuckin great album. Maybe it would have suited well right after the title song. Who knows...

But anyways, all this makes me think of the song New Chapter that was supposed to be on NMOH. If I remember correctly, someone in the band said that they might put it on the next album or something. Well, if the next album sounds too different from NMOH then they might choose not to use it at all. Or if they use it it might sound weird. But of course they could use it as a b-side on a single.

Uff... I know that was kinda off-topic, but I just wanted to say that. Sorry...
Sometimes It Feels Like... *?!%+!*#@+¤
tested View Drop Down
Billy Gnosis
Billy Gnosis

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tested Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/11/2009 at 10:12
Originally posted by Anti- Anti- wrote:

But anyways, all this makes me think of the song New Chapter that was supposed to be on NMOH. If I remember correctly, someone in the band said that they might put it on the next album or something. Well, if the next album sounds too different from NMOH then they might choose not to use it at all. Or if they use it it might sound weird. But of course they could use it as a b-side on a single.

Maybe we can pay 25 bucks for it again... Ha ha ha ... but seriously I bet that New Chapter doesn't sound as interesting as it would seem, it gets hyped because it got cut from the album, but maybe it wasn't all that good... we'll have to wait and see what if anything they do with it :) 

Edited by tested - 01/11/2009 at 10:13
Anti- View Drop Down
Generator
Generator
Butt-head

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anti- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/11/2009 at 10:45
Well there is no way knowing if it is a good one or not, is there? But I do know that they have left great songs off records before. I'm of course talking about Who We Are and one of my all time favourite Surface of Me. So, it wouldn't suprise me too much if it turned out that New Chapter is their most incredible song ever. But like I said, there is no way to know.

I'll try to dig up the topic we had about New Chapter to see if there was any interesting info.
Sometimes It Feels Like... *?!%+!*#@+¤
Marty View Drop Down
Admin
Admin
I'm with her

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/11/2009 at 11:14
Talking about unreleased songs.... check out this little piece of info from The Answer:
Quote They recorded 23 songs for The Gray Race and only 15 made it to the CD. Even if Universal Cynic and The Dodo were 2 of them, there are still 6 left.
I wonder how much of this is true as I can't remember having heard anything else about it.

Edited by Marty - 01/11/2009 at 11:14
tested View Drop Down
Billy Gnosis
Billy Gnosis

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tested Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/11/2009 at 11:19
Originally posted by Anti- Anti- wrote:

Well there is no way knowing if it is a good one or not, is there? But I do know that they have left great songs off records before. I'm of course talking about Who We Are and one of my all time favourite Surface of Me. So, it wouldn't suprise me too much if it turned out that New Chapter is their most incredible song ever. But like I said, there is no way to know.

I'll try to dig up the topic we had about New Chapter to see if there was any interesting info.

I'm not saying it won't be good, I'm just saying that we shouldn't assume that it will be. So I think we agree!

Edited by tested - 01/11/2009 at 11:21
jabberwock View Drop Down
The Same Person
The Same Person
jaylicious

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jabberwock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/11/2009 at 12:06

I found this blog where someone states the following:
Quote Although it appeared on Against the Grain, 21st Century (Digital Boy) didn't became a hit until it appeared on Stranger Than Fiction. It was slated to appear on Bad Religion's fourth album, No Control, but was deemed to slow of a song for the band.

I haven't heard this one before. Do you guys think there's any truth in it? Jay...?

nope... written for against the grain. if you notice, the song is pretty "buried" in the track listing. it wasn't that we thought it too slow, but maybe a bit too much like eddie and the subtitles "american society".. http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=46445746
i am the walrus. everything i say in this forum is unsubstantiated pablum
tested View Drop Down
Billy Gnosis
Billy Gnosis

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tested Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/11/2009 at 12:13
All right, thanks Jay I guess my knowlege was wrong!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic