Forum | The Bad Religion Page - Since 1995 Album countdown: Back To The Known - The Bad Religion page forum - Page 1
Quote of the day: "Judgment's not tomorrow, its today (yes now it's here). But no it isn't Jesus, take a look at all your peers" - Best For You
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedAlbum countdown: Back To The Known

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Marty View Drop Down
Admin
Admin
I'm with her

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Album countdown: Back To The Known
    Posted: 09/04/2010 at 23:32
Part of the countdown to the release date of The Dissent Of Man on Septemeber 28,  here's the fourth topic dedicated to a single Bad Religion release. Today's release is:

Back To The Known

Some reading:

Surprisingly, Back To The Known is missing from badreligion.com.

Extra tidbit: Did you know that the song New Leaf was written long before Back To The Known? According to our archive, it was played as early as 1981.

Previously:

Edited by Marty - 09/04/2010 at 23:37
Warstub View Drop Down
The Same Person
The Same Person
Biggest brpage Tool... Fan

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/04/2010 at 23:49
Love this EP (?) - must be, it's a short player. Preferred version of Bad Religion (it's the slower one right?), absolutely LOVE Frogger and Yesterday has always been a solid favourite of mine. Actually, New Leaf is the only song on this album that I haven't learnt to play on guitar.
http://warstub.weebly.com/novels.html
Nothing can bring a person into adulthood except their own sense of self and the personal responsibility that accompanies that.
UbiqueDaemon View Drop Down
Modern Man
Modern Man
Viewing New Posts

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/05/2010 at 00:13
Originally posted by Marty Marty wrote:

Part of the countdown to the release date of The Dissent Of Man on Septemeber 28,  here's the fourth topic dedicated to a single Bad Religion release.

Fixxed :)

But anyway, I like this EP. It's amazing how you can fit so many good songs on one EP! Yesterday and Along the Way are my favorites and the other ones (yes, I like Frogger) are good too. I only have this one on the 80-85 and HCHBAW? remastered edition so I need to get this vinyl into my collection :)
faithalone14 View Drop Down
Lost Pilgrim
Lost Pilgrim

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/05/2010 at 01:10

I fucking love this EP, my fans have to be along the way and yesterday but to be fair all the songs on the EP are amazing

tbx View Drop Down
Modern Man
Modern Man

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/05/2010 at 01:31
Got into BR before the 80-85 came out and had never heard these songs before, as they weren't floating around on cassetes or easily found on record, and was stoked because there were some really sweet songs on here.
All these songs are really good - a better version of theme song, though i've never like that song,
but, frogger is narly, yesterday, new leaf, along the way are nasty, nasty songs.

Great set of tracks, but to imagine that third wave of punk is coming in a few years is sort of absurd.  If the discography ends here with some of the track off s/t, the totality of How Could Hell... and this EP they would have rivaled some of the other 25 some song punk bands like the Germs and Minor threat...but, Suffer

How the hell does music that is good like this get to the holy trilogy of suffer, no control and against the grain in a few years with thrash/germs/punk, haunting guitars of How could, silly prog rock, almost throw-away punk reunion of this album?

Thank god it did, but, it is sort of a mystery to me that a good 1st/2nd wave punk band puts out some really good tracks and then 3 years later puts out the best album of a genre; the bealtes put out please, please me, etc, then help, rubber soul, revolver, not  a couple singles, please please me, some weird  album, a couple singles, a break then say Sgt Pepper.
tbx View Drop Down
Modern Man
Modern Man

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/05/2010 at 02:00
Also, this is sort of the BR dark ages, Hetson writes frogger, right, and BR is an old Mr. Brett song, but the other few songs are Graffin, and Jay is out of the band, so is this like a Greg G. diva period?  What bring Bentley back into the band, and who the f is that dude playing the bass in this period?  What brings Pete back in after Jay and Pete leave during Into the Iterative Synth Drone (stuck in the drone...)?  Is greg at UW madison (isn't that where he went to undergrad) during some of this?  I'm just really confused with how Bentley is out, when pete comes back, when Mr. Brett becomes a songwriter again instead of just starbolt and producing this (and when he is shooting heroin), etc.  And how the hell they make an incredible string of albums both musically and sonically(production wise) in a couple years - do they spend 3 years off-semester playing fuck Armageddon this is hell?

Edited by tbx - 09/05/2010 at 02:05
Jesse View Drop Down
Staff
Staff
I'm with him

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/05/2010 at 02:19
Originally posted by tbx tbx wrote:

and who the f is that dude playing the bass in this period?
Tim Gallegos. For all your other questions read their history here.

Gotta use your brain, it's the most important part of your equipment.
che sus View Drop Down
Infected
Infected

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/05/2010 at 02:44
Not to fond of this record, all the instruments sound so sloppy, trying to hard to get back into the punk fold. New Leaf is the best and Along the way is pretty good. Frogger is fun. Don't like Yesterday or the slower BR.
ProdigalSonBR View Drop Down
Automatic Man
Automatic Man

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/05/2010 at 03:05
I like this a lot, while not being in my favourite BR records. For sure it was important to the band to get back in track greating some loyalty from ex-future members and fans after ITU. Production is better than previous records, but it lacks a little of energy, so not the ideal. My ranking would be:

Along the Way: 10/10
Yesterday: 9/10
Bad Religion: 9/10 (my favourite version because of the much improved vocals and better sound)
Frogger: 7/10
New Leaf: 7/10
nropevolI View Drop Down
Infected
Infected
pr0n Jeremy

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/05/2010 at 04:22
I really like Back to the Known. Because it's almost good old fashioned rock n roll. the song Bad Religion has these cool stops with only vocals (like Blue suede shoes and lots of other rock n roll songs) Along the way repeats it's chords untill the end, but it's being kept fresh with cool guitar solos. I even like the Tested version better because the solos are much louder and in your face.
New leaf is also a special song, they only song I know that is similar is What Can You Do? I wish they made more of these midtempo songs.
Frogger is the only song that isn't a classic, but it's still a fun song
I like this record better than into the unknown and How could hell...
HugeFanOfBadReligion View Drop Down
Infected
Infected
former shoutboss

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/05/2010 at 05:56
This is a pretty good release, I like all of the songs and I think the quality is consistent. It's hard to determine my favourites because there are so few songs, but Frogger, New Leaf, and Along the Way are probably the best to me.
20 million starving, and writhing in pain: Let them eat war!
MONOLITH View Drop Down
Generator
Generator
will outbid you

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/05/2010 at 07:13
..Back to the known, truly!! Just an awesome EP!

'Yesterday' and 'Along the Way' became my fave tracks right from the first listening. All the others just a step behind..

Nothing special to say about the cover art.. A bit too much of a copy of the 1st EP w' just "something" added...
Bombarded by multiple choices 24/7 - Navigating a tangled web of logic and passion...
simian View Drop Down
Infected
Infected

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/05/2010 at 08:22
You've got to love the alien footprints... this record has the worst cover art of any of their releases! Seriously, how lazy/reactionary to just throw some crap on the original EP cover to try to get out from under ITU's shadow. Oh well, fortunately it doesn't reflect the quality of the music on the record. New Leaf, Along The Way, and Yesterday are the stand-outs, but I like all the songs. Frogger's great... I really wish Hetson would write another BR song about a video game, haha!
“As stupid and vicious as men are, this is a lovely day.”
― Kurt Vonnegut, Cat's Cradle
MarcusÖhrn View Drop Down
Hippy Killer
Hippy Killer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/05/2010 at 08:43
5 brilliant tracks! Thank god Bad Religion for going back to punk, what if that had never happened?
MichaelB View Drop Down
The Devil In Stitches
The Devil In Stitches

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/05/2010 at 08:53

The world would have ended...

'Jesus/why'd you have to go and do that/Jesus/where'd you go and get those strange ideas'
Jesse View Drop Down
Staff
Staff
I'm with him

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/05/2010 at 09:16
Even though I don't listen this EP very often, I still appreciate the songs a lot. Yesterday, Along The Way and New Leaf are absolutely my favorites. I can't really get into Frogger though. I definitely prefer this version of Bad Religion over the one on the first EP.
Also, I think this EP perfectly connects to the previous release. The ITU sound is definitely present in Along The Way and New Leaf.
The artwork isn't really exciting, but I like the footprints. I remember the ebay auction that sold the original production materials for BTTK (those little footprints all cut out, etc.)

Btw, I just noticed that we have just one picture of the cover art. Does someone here own BTTK or at least have some decent pictures to add to the discography? I know it's supposed to have a picture of the capitol building on it...

Gotta use your brain, it's the most important part of your equipment.
wrong planet View Drop Down
Staff
Staff

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/05/2010 at 09:25
Originally posted by simian simian wrote:

You've got to love the alien footprints... this record has the worst cover art of any of their releases! Seriously, how lazy/reactionary to just throw some crap on the original EP cover to try to get out from under ITU's shadow. (...)
I always thought it was frog(ger) footprints. But alien footprints actually make me think of into the unknown, which probably wasn't their intention. And the blue "Back To The Known" adds to that effect, for me at least. And I think New Leaf could have also partly been on ITU, if it wasn't for the lack of synths. Anyway, I really like this EP (with only maybe the exception of Bad Religion) and Along The Way is still my all-time favorite BR song.
Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away. - PKD
Robo Pilgrim View Drop Down
Generator
Generator
linkage robot

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/05/2010 at 09:45
This has my favourite version of Bad Religion, but I'd have to say my favourite track overall on this one is Yesterday. Along The Way comes in at a very close second.

Originally posted by simian simian wrote:

You've got to love the alien footprints

I think they're frog feet in reference to Frogger.
Go on take a swig of that poison and like it
n1ckb0n3z View Drop Down
Universal Cynic
Universal Cynic
Bass boss but still a n00b

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/05/2010 at 10:11
Frogger and Yesterday.
I want BR to play Anesthesia in every language at every country they go to.
rmg512 View Drop Down
Infected
Infected
math mouth

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/05/2010 at 10:31
Fantastic album, though certainly not their best. Once again, Jesse nails this: this is definitely a natural part of their evolution; it took the good "new" elements from ITU and melds them with what made HCBAW a classic. This is where the current sound of BR really kicked off, and I thoroughly enjoy this album: probably Bad Religion, Along the Way, and Yesterday the most.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic