Forum | The Bad Religion Page - Since 1995 Album countdown: Suffer - The Bad Religion page forum - Page 1
Quote of the day: "Judgment's not tomorrow, its today (yes now it's here). But no it isn't Jesus, take a look at all your peers" - Best For You
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedAlbum countdown: Suffer

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Marty View Drop Down
Admin
Admin
I'm with her

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Album countdown: Suffer
    Posted: 09/05/2010 at 22:21
Part of the countdown to the release date of The Dissent Of Man on September 28,  here's the fifth topic dedicated to a single Bad Religion release. Today's release is:

Suffer

Some reading:
  • Discography
  • Looking at the song interpretations, I think we can do better than what we have right now. So feel free to add your own (as long as they make sense, of course)
  • Also, don't forget to rank the songs
  • The Answer

Also check out the Brett's audio clip on badreligion.com about recording Suffer.

Previously:
Bad Religion EP (1981)
How Could Hell Be Any Worse? (1981)
Into The Unknown (1983)
Back To The Known (1985)

Edited by Marty - 09/05/2010 at 22:21
Warstub View Drop Down
The Same Person
The Same Person
Biggest brpage Tool... Fan

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/05/2010 at 22:57
A Classic!!!  Even if it's not your favourite, it's still an amazing album. They went from this loose punk band with a bit of atttitude and rough around the edges sound to complete annihilation of everything! And the lyric writing, along with the playing, was a huge leap forward.

I've always loved 1000 More Fools and Pessimistic Lines the most, What Can You Do is a favourite and Part IV (The Index Fossil) was kind of a sleeper hit for me that I picked up after I got sick of listening to my favoiurites as well as the classic tracks like Suffer and Do What You Want. Actually, Delirium of Disorder was a sleeper hit as well. I was going to say something else in this edit...  Oh, that's right! "I sit on my ass all goddamn day, just a misanthropic anthropoid with nothing to say" was my [insert correct word here] for years.  My brain doesn't want to think anymore...

Edited by Warstub - 09/05/2010 at 23:03
http://warstub.weebly.com/novels.html
Nothing can bring a person into adulthood except their own sense of self and the personal responsibility that accompanies that.
MCoates View Drop Down
The Devil In Stitches
The Devil In Stitches

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/05/2010 at 23:14
Soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo Goooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooood
Might Makes RIght!
Viktor View Drop Down
Billy Gnosis
Billy Gnosis

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/05/2010 at 23:23
Still my favorite album
They said that islands were solid as bedrock standing firm forevermore, but over time even basement wastes away to the unrelenting shore
tbx View Drop Down
Modern Man
Modern Man

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/05/2010 at 23:30
Total pile of crap, seriously, worst album ever.  Oh wait, no it isn't.

I think Fat mike succinctly said it best:: ~this album changed everything.  I don't think punk is still around without this album: this becomes the sound for the next 20+ years, and not just skate punk, 90s Epitaph sound, but just punk rock in general,

There is the story of Robert Johnson going across the traintracks to the cross road and making a deal with the devil, and the same of Dylan; well, it seems like that with this - they went from a good band, with some interesting lyrics, to a band that put out 15 amazing tracks in 26 minutes with lyrics that are insanely intricate and poetically musical (rapacity, tenacity, capacity for more); good production, the oozzin ahhs, good music, an album that fits together, etc.  It is almost Faustian in that bad religion puts this album out, and then firest out the next 2 rapidly as well.

Artwork: what a great cover, and the lyrics written on the wall was something I always found amazing.

When I took the SATs, there were 3 questions in the verbal that I got right just from 1000 more fools which was one of my highlights of this album.  But, to me, this is always a listen to the whole thing album, and listen to Pessimistic lines twice --- this also starts a string of the last song on the album being among if not the best song on the album (Pessimistic LInes, World Won't Stop, Walk Away, only entertainment, along with Cease, In So Many Ways, Don't Sell me Short)

No Control might be my favorite, and Against the Grain showcases bad religion the best, but this is the greatest punk rock album of all time, not just bad religion, but any other band - it defined a sub genre and did nothing less than save the entire genre, made epitaph a bastion of non-majors for a a dozen years or so.  I can't even imagine music if this album doesn't come out

BrandonSideleau View Drop Down
Automatic Man
Automatic Man

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/06/2010 at 00:22
Now begins 3 days of UNTOUCHABLE albums! hahaha 'Suffer' is fantastic obviously....best songs- What Can You Do, How Much Is Enough?, The Index Fossil, and, of course, the quintessential BR anthem- Do What You Want. That being said, there isn't a single less than fantastic song on this or the next 2 records.
"Who is the animal? Who is that dangerous beast?"
faithalone14 View Drop Down
Lost Pilgrim
Lost Pilgrim

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/06/2010 at 00:23
one word......amazing
I Dont Belong View Drop Down
Man With A Mission
Man With A Mission

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/06/2010 at 00:54

This is one of the first Bad Religion albums that I bought and its always been one of my favorites.  My favorite songs are Do What You Want, 1000 More Fools, and You Are (The Government).

"The Democratic Party never was, nor ever will be, a true opposition party"
faithalone14 View Drop Down
Lost Pilgrim
Lost Pilgrim

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/06/2010 at 00:55
oooooo what can you do? and part II (the numbers game) and give you nothing are fucking awesome
Banjo View Drop Down
Infected
Infected
Jay's Creditor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/06/2010 at 00:57
I bought this CD along with Stranger Than Fiction. My only previous BR CD before that was HCHBAW?.

I've listened to it too many times now, but when it sparks the memories of when I first listened to it I get chills down my spine. It just sounded so good and different. Lyrics, music, artwork: Incredible.
I owe Jabberwock coffee.
I owe RoboPilgrim 9p.
rmg512 View Drop Down
Infected
Infected
math mouth

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/06/2010 at 01:07
I believe this is EASILY BR's best album, IMO. This is the album with Brett's very best lyrics, and Greg was pretty amazing, too (though, I'd say his peak was in the mid 90's on STF and TGR). Heck, I'd say the lyrics on this album are the best of any other BR album. The artwork really resonates with me as someone who has felt that his uniqueness in ideology is like wearing a scarlet letter sometimes. The songs are fast, intense, and raw, and Greg sounds great - not too nasal like on NC and ATG.

My very favorite songs on this album are 1000 More Fools, Delirium of Disorder, How Much Is Enough?, The Numbers Game, and Suffer (sorry, but Do What You Want has become a little cliche, though it's still fantastic).
MichaelB View Drop Down
The Devil In Stitches
The Devil In Stitches

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/06/2010 at 02:03
I guess people like me who were born after this was made can't really understand the impact that it had at the time, so I'll just say that it is a really good album, and for me, THIS IS BR'S FIRST ALBUM!
'Jesus/why'd you have to go and do that/Jesus/where'd you go and get those strange ideas'
BrandonSideleau View Drop Down
Automatic Man
Automatic Man

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/06/2010 at 02:31
I was 5 years old when this was released.....damn, I feel both young & old at the same time lol
"Who is the animal? Who is that dangerous beast?"
Warstub View Drop Down
The Same Person
The Same Person
Biggest brpage Tool... Fan

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/06/2010 at 02:45
Originally posted by BrandonSideleau BrandonSideleau wrote:

I was 5 years old when this was released.....damn, I feel both young & old at the same time lol
I was 11 when this album came out. I just feel old  :P
http://warstub.weebly.com/novels.html
Nothing can bring a person into adulthood except their own sense of self and the personal responsibility that accompanies that.
BadReligionFTW View Drop Down
Henchman
Henchman

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/06/2010 at 03:47
A classic album hands down nothing more to be said .
Today on my ride I witnessed a guy complaining about how a so-and-so had lied. No longer will the market decide what the government should provide.
Robo Pilgrim View Drop Down
Generator
Generator
linkage robot

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/06/2010 at 04:00
This album sealed Bad Religion's fate as the greatest punk band of all time for me. All the songs on it are absolutely brilliant. Give You Nothing is perhaps one of the punkest songs that's ever been written, although I'd have to say What Can You Do? is my favourite track. Forbidden Beat, 1000 More Fools, Delirium Of Disorder and Best For You are the other stand out tracks on this album.

I know this album is touted as the album that rescued punk, but how much impact did it really have when it came out? Was it an immediate success or was the praise for it mostly retrospective? Anyway, it's still flawless. I'm listening to it on vinyl right now.
Go on take a swig of that poison and like it
Metmass View Drop Down
Automatic Man
Automatic Man

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/06/2010 at 04:02

How Much is Enough is among my absolute BR favorites. I love that song. Also You Are the Government and Part II.

I used to hate the sound, being a fan of newer albums, but now I think it's great. It's so raw and energetic and lively... just pure great fun.

MONOLITH View Drop Down
Generator
Generator
will outbid you

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/06/2010 at 04:43
A true punk classic. Made the first step that all the rest would follow to...

No other album cover could take it's place. No AFI here, just AFO...

Faves: (actually they all are but here goes anyhow..)
'What Can You Do?', 'How Much Is Enough', 'When', 'Do What You Want'
and one to rule 'em all..: 'Suffer'!..
Bombarded by multiple choices 24/7 - Navigating a tangled web of logic and passion...
Metmass View Drop Down
Automatic Man
Automatic Man

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/06/2010 at 05:33
I see many of you really like What Can You Do. Funny, I didn't even enjoy that song for quite some time. It was only after I heard the Peel Sessions performance that I thought 'Hey, this is so cool!'.
Viktor View Drop Down
Billy Gnosis
Billy Gnosis

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/06/2010 at 05:50
Originally posted by Warstub Warstub wrote:

Originally posted by BrandonSideleau BrandonSideleau wrote:

I was 11 when this album came out. I just feel old  :P

haha I was only 10 months

I like every song on Suffer. I can't choose one
They said that islands were solid as bedrock standing firm forevermore, but over time even basement wastes away to the unrelenting shore
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic