Forum | The Bad Religion Page - Since 1995 Album countdown: 80-85 - The Bad Religion page forum
Quote of the day: "You mean nothing to the world, we're all someone else's fool." - What Can You Do?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedAlbum countdown: 80-85

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Marty View Drop Down
Admin
Admin
I'm with her

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Album countdown: 80-85
    Posted: 09/08/2010 at 22:17
Part of the countdown to the release date of The Dissent Of Man on September 28,  here's the eighth topic dedicated to a single Bad Religion release. Today's release is:

80-85

Some reading:
  • Discography
  • Looking at the song interpretations, I think we can do better than what we have right now. So feel free to add your own (as long as they make sense, of course)
  • Also, don't forget to rank the songs
  • The Answer

Previously:
Bad Religion EP (1981)
How Could Hell Be Any Worse? (1981)
Into The Unknown (1983)
Back To The Known (1985)
Suffer (1988)
No Control (1989)
Along The Way (video) (1990)
BrandonSideleau View Drop Down
Automatic Man
Automatic Man

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/08/2010 at 22:25
So this is basically the first 4 topics combined lol
"Who is the animal? Who is that dangerous beast?"
Warstub View Drop Down
The Same Person
The Same Person
Biggest brpage Tool... Fan

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/08/2010 at 22:31
Agreed. Though it was my introduction to the early stuff. Love the cover!
http://warstub.weebly.com/novels.html
Nothing can bring a person into adulthood except their own sense of self and the personal responsibility that accompanies that.
Neil Davis View Drop Down
Billy Gnosis
Billy Gnosis
Emily

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/08/2010 at 22:32
Everything I already said.
It was only rain
BrandonSideleau View Drop Down
Automatic Man
Automatic Man

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/08/2010 at 22:35
that being said...despite the varying levels of production quality (welcome to early 80's hardcore! haha) virtually everything on this is pure gold. "Along the Way", "Yesterday", "Fuck Armageddon...", "We're Only Gonna Die", "Pity", "New Leaf", "Faith in God", "Drastic Actions", etc. etc. etc. etc.
"Who is the animal? Who is that dangerous beast?"
tbx View Drop Down
Modern Man
Modern Man

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/08/2010 at 23:22
My a through l cd case was stolen a 8 or 9 years ago as a soph in college so I lost the liner notes, but weren't they written by Hetson and pretty cool telling how he sat around the sessions and threw down a solo when brett couldn't come up with one?  Always thought the cover art with basically spurs was slightly homoerotic
Bought this in the mid 90s after having this stuff (minus the bonus non-br released tracks) on mulit geneartion dubbed cassettes (which I in turn dubbed to minidisc - who even remembers how awesome it was to stick a digital cable in the back of your cd player (hell, many don't remember a cd player) and throw it into a recorder and get a straight rip and you can put track label on it, 94 or 95 was cool, to only be shat on in a couple years).  So it was cool when this came out as I could get a better disc or rip to play in a cd/md player when mom drove me around or i was walking/skating around.  Germs, Minor threat, 80-85, sgt pepper, and an md with suffer/no control/a few tracks off geneartor were always in my case

Edited by tbx - 09/08/2010 at 23:25
I Dont Belong View Drop Down
Man With A Mission
Man With A Mission

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/08/2010 at 23:54
I dont have this version of the CD Ive got the newest version of HCHBAW with all these songs on them.  It was the third BR CD I ever bought.  Theres definitely some of my favorite old school punk songs on here.

Edited by I Dont Belong - 09/08/2010 at 23:55
"The Democratic Party never was, nor ever will be, a true opposition party"
ThiagoAHHH View Drop Down
Lost Pilgrim
Lost Pilgrim

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/09/2010 at 00:17
A compilation is just a compilation. By the way, I miss the 80's hardcore punk (raw) quality so much.
MONOLITH View Drop Down
Generator
Generator
will outbid you

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/09/2010 at 01:46
Always loved the black-white cover! Artwork, pics, layout and Hetsons storytelling is just great..

Back in '97 I saw a copy of this in light blue-white colors in a musicstore. Still pissed for not buying it.... -:/
Bombarded by multiple choices 24/7 - Navigating a tangled web of logic and passion...
MarcusÖhrn View Drop Down
Hippy Killer
Hippy Killer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/09/2010 at 03:52
This albumcover is totally amazing! Pure punk!!!
Banjo View Drop Down
Infected
Infected
Jay's Creditor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/09/2010 at 04:01
!!!

I bought the HCHBAW? reissue with this tracklisting. It was my first BR CD!

I bought it over Suffer/STF because it had more tracks!

I expected the songs to sound like You, Them & Us and 10 in 2010 like the Bad Religion I had heard in Tony Hawks 2 and Crazy Taxi.

I don't think I was disappointed with the music (it was my first time hearing raw 80's punk music), but I was definitely disappointed that Greg's voice didn't sound like it did on those other songs, which was what I think I was wanting to hear.

By the time I started listening to the Back to the Known songs, I loved that Greg's voice started to sound like what I was used to. I still remember listening to it on the journey to school on my big bulky "portable" CD player and just loving it.

Of course, I ended up loving every track on it, and I think it was in the end quite a good release to start with the band.

By the way, my 28-song HCHBAW? doesn't have the Hetson notes! Is there a scan/transcription about? I'd love to read what you guys are referencing!
I owe Jabberwock coffee.
I owe RoboPilgrim 9p.
SOLDSHORT View Drop Down
Generator
Generator
fishtank survivor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/09/2010 at 08:57
its funny, when I first started listening to BR I hated this CD....
THIS IS NOT REALITY THIS IS NOT REALITY THIS IS NOT REALITY THIS IS NOT REALITY THIS IS NOT REALITY
Jesse View Drop Down
Staff
Staff
I'm with him

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/09/2010 at 09:16
Although I'm not a big fan of the early recordings, I still bought this cd as soon as I saw it in the record store. I think it was the third BR album I bought. I think it was the artwork that really made me want to have it. The picture by Ed Colver is with no doubt perfect for this album; can't be more punk rock than those boots! I also enjoyed to read the liner notes. Maybe those two things make it worth to buy it anyway!

Originally posted by Banjo Banjo wrote:

By the way, my 28-song HCHBAW? doesn't have the Hetson notes! Is there a scan/transcription about? I'd love to read what you guys are referencing!

You can find it here. Took me a few minutes to type it all out. :)
Gotta use your brain, it's the most important part of your equipment.
tbx View Drop Down
Modern Man
Modern Man

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/09/2010 at 10:49
Originally posted by Jesse Jesse wrote:

Although I'm not a big fan of the early recordings, I still bought this cd as soon as I saw it in the record store. I think it was the third BR album I bought. I think it was the artwork that really made me want to have it. The picture by Ed Colver is with no doubt perfect for this album; can't be more punk rock than those boots! I also enjoyed to read the liner notes. Maybe those two things make it worth to buy it anyway!

Originally posted by Banjo Banjo wrote:

You can find it here. Took me a few minutes to type it all out. :)

Thanks!  I lost this a long time ago and so happy to read it again.
HugeFanOfBadReligion View Drop Down
Infected
Infected
former shoutboss

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/09/2010 at 14:47
1st EP:
Originally posted by HugeFanOfBadReligion HugeFanOfBadReligion wrote:

My opinion on most of BR's early work is pretty difficult to explain, but I'll give it a shot. Normally, when I'm listening to my iPod on shuffle or am just listening to my collection of music on shuffle on my computer, I'll skip the songs as soon as it comes on. However, if I wait a few seconds to skip it, or if I actually listen to the album all the way through, I'll end up really liking it, and I'll really get into the songs. I guess I just forget how good the songs really are when they start. However, one song that I never skip is Drastic Actions. Out of every single song BR has ever released, Drastic Actions is one of my favourites. I love the song. I love how Graffin starts off pretty much speaking and it builds up to yelling, and then it drops down to speaking again only to build up again. I won't give a rating on each song because that would be too hard, all I know is that Drastic Actions would get an 11 out of 10.

How Could Hell Be Any Worse:

I like the first EP a bit better than How Could Hell Be Any Worse?. I love the instrumental aspect of it, but I don't really like Greg's singing. It all seems really rushed, although when they play some of these songs live now, he can sing them better and I enjoy it more like that. Other than that though, I think it's a great album and it was a necessary step they had to take to become what they are today.

Back To The Known:

This is a pretty good release, I like all of the songs and I think the quality is consistent. It's hard to determine my favourites because there are so few songs, but Frogger, New Leaf, and Along the Way are probably the best to me.

There isn't anything I'd like to add to the Public Service EP, nothing different really from most stuff from this period.
20 million starving, and writhing in pain: Let them eat war!
MCoates View Drop Down
The Devil In Stitches
The Devil In Stitches

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/09/2010 at 17:42
I hated this album when I first heard it 8 years ago, now I love it, go figure.
Might Makes RIght!
tbx View Drop Down
Modern Man
Modern Man

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/09/2010 at 17:48
Tommorrow will likely be the closet to a love fest I would guess - the old fart punks (like me) love it, and it sounds enough like the STF, Recipe, Gray Race period and even the recent stuff
Johan View Drop Down
Hippy Killer
Hippy Killer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/09/2010 at 18:17

I got the Tested album for my 14th birthday in 1997. Their earliest stuff were unknown territory for me back then (except for "We're only gonna die" which I had on the All Ages cd), but there was this awesome song called "Part III" on the record and the liner notes said it was originally from "How could hell be any worse?". I LOVED that song and thought I needed HCHBAW immediately! Couldn't find it though, but I found another record called "80-85" with the song on it. Since I had already heard "We're only gonna die" I knew pretty much what to excpect from it and I loved it from the first listen.

That's my story.
torbar View Drop Down
The Same Person
The Same Person
Doctor of Doctored Photos

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/09/2010 at 23:16
Like a few people here, this album(includes How Could Hell... and the EP)was one of the later albums I listened to, and I didn't like it at first.  Compared to TESF(first album I heard fully), and even Suffer and No Control, this album is so...rough I guess is the best way to describe it.  I listened to it once, couldn't get into it, and stuck with Suffer and later.
A couple of years later(06ish) I decided to give the album another go, and now I really like the album.  Between first hearing it and 06 I got into some more hardcore stuff(Circle Jerks, Black Flag, etc), so that influenced my opinion of this album.  Part III is one of my favorite songs.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic