Forum | The Bad Religion Page - Since 1995 Pennywise Return To The Studio - The Bad Religion page forum - Page 8
Quote of the day: "In a quantity of light, you can search for all of your life, but it's finite. From a sudden burst of sound, the recoil may never be found, but it is finite (finite but incalculable)." - Finite
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Pennywise Return To The Studio

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678910>
Author
Robo Pilgrim View Drop Down
Generator
Generator
linkage robot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robo Pilgrim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/27/2012 at 10:12
Some good songs, some OK songs.
I'm The Greatest™
Preab San Ol View Drop Down
Blenderhead
Blenderhead

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Preab San Ol Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/27/2012 at 11:41
When i downloaded it had 14 song but when i went to kings road to order it, the cd had only 12 songs. the two songs are "Locked in" and "We are The Fallen" are they not part of the record?
We’re going nowhere slowly, but we’re seeing all the sights. And we’re definitely going to hell, But we’ll have all the best stories to tell.
brdanne View Drop Down
Billy Gnosis
Billy Gnosis

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brdanne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/27/2012 at 12:05
The 14 song version is the deluxe edition.
Through the darkness of future past, The magician longs to see, One chance out between two worlds: Fire walk with me.
DaymanVersusNightman View Drop Down
The Devil In Stitches
The Devil In Stitches

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaymanVersusNightman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/27/2012 at 12:30
Are those songs any good?
frod79 View Drop Down
Generator
Generator
Frod Almighty

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frod79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/27/2012 at 14:21
Locked In (bonus track)  is probably one of the best songs of the 14, minus the title track.

Edited by frod79 - 04/27/2012 at 14:22
"Some claim there was no great shoeman in the sky, others say the answer won't be known until the other shoe drops" - Al Bundy
SOLDSHORT View Drop Down
Generator
Generator
fishtank survivor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SOLDSHORT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/27/2012 at 17:24
I'm locked in today!
THIS IS NOT REALITY THIS IS NOT REALITY THIS IS NOT REALITY THIS IS NOT REALITY THIS IS NOT REALITY
The Devil In Stitches
The Devil In Stitches

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaymanVersusNightman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/27/2012 at 20:30
I hate when bonus tracks not on regular releases are better than a lot of the songs on the album.  Like Finite not being on the NA release of Dissent of Man.  Those tracks should be worse.
I Dont Belong View Drop Down
Modern Man
Modern Man

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote I Dont Belong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/01/2012 at 01:00
I bought the cd today and Im really enjoying it. I like it a lot more than their last 3 albums.
"The Democratic Party never was, nor ever will be, a true opposition party"
Atzlan View Drop Down
Hippy Killer
Hippy Killer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atzlan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/01/2012 at 08:13
Listening to it on Spotify now... So far, I'm digging it.
Well madness reigned and paradise drowned...
SOLDSHORT View Drop Down
Generator
Generator
fishtank survivor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SOLDSHORT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/01/2012 at 09:00
It's no new offspring though... AMIRITE
THIS IS NOT REALITY THIS IS NOT REALITY THIS IS NOT REALITY THIS IS NOT REALITY THIS IS NOT REALITY
Muu View Drop Down
The Devil In Stitches
The Devil In Stitches

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Muu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/01/2012 at 09:28
Listened through a few songs in Spotify, sounds like Pennywise. Safe, kinda catchy, fast California punk rock with no real edge. Kinda surprised how they haven't changed in any way even though they have a new singer.
Needs a sense of relevance or something to rebel against.
The Devil In Stitches
The Devil In Stitches

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaymanVersusNightman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/01/2012 at 11:53
Originally posted by Muu Muu wrote:

Listened through a few songs in Spotify, sounds like Pennywise. Safe, kinda catchy, fast California punk rock with no real edge. Kinda surprised how they haven't changed in any way even though they have a new singer.

It's because Fletcher is Pennywise.  Jim was the singer and song writer, but Fletcher was always the heart and soul of the music and he still is.  Zoli is just a middle man.
Bruder Michael View Drop Down
Lost Pilgrim
Lost Pilgrim

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruder Michael Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/01/2012 at 12:29
I really like the album. "All or nothing", "Let us hear your voice" and "United" are awesome songs, and the rest of the album is pretty good too (maybe except for "We have it all"). Also, I have a version that starts with a song called "Locked in", which is absolutely great as well. Is that not part of the official record?
The Devil In Stitches
The Devil In Stitches

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaymanVersusNightman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/01/2012 at 12:50
No its part of the deluxe version.  Its a sick song.  Anyone know if its still possible to pick up that version?  Also, I kind of like We Have It All.  It's really catchy. 
vampailleur View Drop Down
Henchman
Henchman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vampailleur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/01/2012 at 15:17
A really great record. Pennywise have outdone themselves. My favorite record of 2012 for the time being.

marvthezombie View Drop Down
The Devil In Stitches
The Devil In Stitches

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote marvthezombie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/01/2012 at 16:16
It's growing on me.

I still don't care for Revolution or We Have It All, much less Let Us Hear Your Voice. Seeing Red is good until the finale, which comes off as more of a Minor Threat ripoff than a reference; indeed it's super similar to Broken, but goddamn is it solid. The rest of the record is really catchy, especially the last three or four tracks--they really just make up for whatever lackluster pieces were in the body of the album.

I approve, Pennywise. Just don't use "hypocrisy" too much.
Procreation without gain or purpose/ Languid wills and torped minds/ Catapulted ever faster by the arrow of time/ You take yours and I'll keep mine.
SOLDSHORT View Drop Down
Generator
Generator
fishtank survivor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SOLDSHORT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/01/2012 at 18:57
i hate seeing red.   its just an excuse for fletcher to say fuck
vampailleur View Drop Down
Henchman
Henchman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vampailleur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/02/2012 at 16:30
Wow, the more I listen to this record, the better it is. 

Only Full Circle and about time are better
frod79 View Drop Down
Generator
Generator
Frod Almighty

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frod79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/02/2012 at 19:28

All or Nothing - album rating and "day" word count*
- from the makers of “society” word count 1992-2008

Indulge me for a few minutes in reading this and see why sometimes this band drives me/(us?) up the wall.

All or Nothing -  8.25 / 10 - 
Day Count: "'what's the fucking problem with this world today?"   until the day that we die....Subtotal: 2
Notes: As solid as an opening track  as their old albums, sets the proper pace and you can hear the blending of PW and Ignite songwriting influences.

Waste Another Day -  8/10 -
Day Count:  I don't wanna waste another day   x7 =  Subtotal: 7
Notes: I dig the call and response in this song. It fits well for this particular song and it's a fast-paced, urgent tune.

Revolution - 5/10
Day Count:  we will remember today x2  
we want a revolution, we're living for today, ... and we will remember today = 2  Subtotal: 4
Notes:  Songs with whoa's as part of a chorus and not as a background thing usually get to me rather quickly, as if to say "we really couldn't think of anything to put here" which isn't wrong all the time.  Feel the same way about  WWK.  This song will probably do well at live shows. Also the line "Black is the sky filled with rage"  just seems silly, personally. Has “filler” written all over it.

Stand Strong: 5/10
Day Count: remember, you don't have to pray for me today x 4
You've got to live every moment til the day that you die x 4  Subtotal: 8
Notes: Lyrics are all over the place, not exactly sure what the song's about. Another song with whoa's in the chorus.  Previous song had just enough whoa's, this one seems to have too much in the way of backing vocals and the call & response in the intro and with each time it's repeated.

Let Us Hear Your Voice: 7.5/10
Day Count: ... we've had enough today  x 1. Subtotal: 1
Notes: Song sticks out, makes a good single. Catchy and poppy, I like to sing along to this one, and Zoli belts it out at the end. bonus +.5 points for having *1* day count.

Seeing Red: 5/10
Day Count: OMG - ***0***
Notes:  as SLOD stated, wow, they got to say "fuck!" badass! This song just doesn't do it for me. at all.

Songs of Sorrow  6.5/10
Day Count: So far away another day
We live our lives in fear of failure ...every day  Subtotal: 2
Notes: Phew! The Album starts to be enjoyable again. However,  from a songwriting perspective, why is this song called "Songs of Sorrow"? That would imply that he is telling more than one sad story.  But that doesn't seem to be the case with the lyrics, as it has a somewhat positive message at the end of the chorus. Just seems to me as if they had a cool idea for a title and wrote a song around it, but not about it.

X Generation 6.5/10
Day Count: Our day, it's upon us now x 2
X generations of today.... the X Generation of today - Subtotal: 4
Notes:  Not sure why I'm so bothered by "X Generation" as opposed to 'Generation X'

We Have It All 8.5/10
Day Count: You just can't give up on today
.. to try to seize today x 2 Subtotal: 3
Notes: This song seems to evoke memories of a certain part of my life , and for all the “live for today” type songs they have on this album, this one just seems to uplift me and get my mind in a positive mood whenever I hear it., so it gets the top grade despite the bad intro. It's also a very simple and well-sung song, as far as the words and how they're all strung together.

Tomorrow 7/10
Day Count: Our day will come and the world will be ours x6
..We can hope that the future doesn't look like today x1 Subtotal: 7
Note:Shades of Ignite style vocals. Sounds like it could be on About Time

All Along 6.5/10
Day Count: 0!!!
Notes: Nothing really special to add. It's an ok song, does what it needs to do. Sounds like it could be on Full Circle, well maybe the intro.

United: 6/10
Day Count: you gotta live another day
a new day a new way. Subtotal: 2
Notes: Classic pennywise About Time era straightforward song.

We Are The Fallen 7/10
Day Count:
another day … our lives x 1
we live for tomorrow we live for today x 3
Let's start today x 3
Free from the chains of yesterday x 1
Tomorrow starts today x1
Forevermore we live another day x 1 Subtotal: 10!!!
Notes: Cool Bonus song, has a Rise Against feel with the vocals, I guess.

Locked In 8.5/10
Day Count: You're Lock In today x 10
Subtotal: 10!
Notes: favorite song of the album, despite the metric shit ton of “day” usage.

Grand total of “day” used in All or Nothing: 60 EFFING TIMES. Given the title of the album, I guess that should have been expected. 
Music: B,  Lyrics: C-  Vocals: A , Guitar: A-,  Bass: A- , Drums: B+   Mix/Production: B

Edited by frod79 - 05/03/2012 at 09:55
"Some claim there was no great shoeman in the sky, others say the answer won't be known until the other shoe drops" - Al Bundy
Alice View Drop Down
Automatic Man
Automatic Man
12 hours wiser

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/02/2012 at 19:45
I think that 'day' is a just a Pennywise word... have a listen to their other albums, it appears quite a bit (maybe not 59 times though!)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678910>
  Share Topic