Forum | The Bad Religion Page - Since 1995 Reason Rally - March 24th, 2012 - The Bad Religion page forum - Page 7
Quote of the day: "Confusion is a fundamental state of mind. It doesn't really matter how my day has turned out, I always end up living in this world of doubt" - Sanity
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Reason Rally - March 24th, 2012
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Reason Rally - March 24th, 2012

 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789 10>
Author
n1ckb0n3z View Drop Down
Universal Cynic
Universal Cynic
Avatar
Bass boss but still a n00b

Joined: 11/21/2008
Location: Long Island, NY
Status: Offline
Points: 5509
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n1ckb0n3z Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/25/2012 at 06:32
Originally posted by Marty Marty wrote:

A soundcheck with Greg and even playing New America? That's pretty rare...
Here's the full anthem:

 I could sense the nervousness in Gregs voice


Edited by n1ckb0n3z - 03/25/2012 at 06:35
I want BR to play Anesthesia in every language at every country they go to.
Back to Top
frod79 View Drop Down
Generator
Generator
Avatar
Frod Almighty

Joined: 10/21/2010
Location: OlivGardenState
Status: Online
Points: 3559
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frod79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/25/2012 at 06:36
im gonna be putting my videos up this afternoon provided there are no fails.

Edited by frod79 - 03/25/2012 at 06:40
"Some claim there was no great shoeman in the sky, others say the answer won't be known until the other shoe drops" - Al Bundy
Back to Top
nropevolI View Drop Down
Infected
Infected
Avatar
pr0n Jeremy

Joined: 08/04/2008
Location: under sea
Status: Offline
Points: 1775
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nropevolI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/25/2012 at 06:59
Originally posted by n1ckb0n3z n1ckb0n3z wrote:

 I could sense the nervousness in Gregs voice
I disagree. It's more like that live recording of Slumber from punk rock songs where some parts are too low for him to sing. I think he sounds great near the end of the song
Back to Top
torbar View Drop Down
Infected
Infected
Avatar
Doctor of Doctored Photos

Joined: 11/06/2008
Location: internets
Status: Offline
Points: 1992
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote torbar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/25/2012 at 07:02
Wait they played TNA durin sound check?
Back to Top
keevhren View Drop Down
The Devil In Stitches
The Devil In Stitches
Avatar
Ask me about vinyl.

Joined: 03/08/2004
Location: United States
Status: Offline
Points: 332
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote keevhren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/25/2012 at 07:15
great set for sure... I'm fairly positive they cut approx 3 songs.  During their set, a few times the cameras recording the show/putting it on the big screens panned over to brooks from behind and you could see his setlist, Infected definitely had at least 3 more songs after it before Sorrow.  Still a great time though despite the rainy weather
Its the Fast Life, there's nothing i can do... Trade me your Bad Religion Records: http://howsyouredge.com/swap/display.php?page=1155
Back to Top
Will2099 View Drop Down
Incomplete
Incomplete
Avatar

Joined: 03/24/2012
Status: Offline
Points: 3
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Will2099 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/25/2012 at 07:39
Originally posted by Joseph Joseph wrote:

The answer followed by beyond, amazing set...


This is incorrect, sir. The Answer preceded BED.
Back to Top
n1ckb0n3z View Drop Down
Universal Cynic
Universal Cynic
Avatar
Bass boss but still a n00b

Joined: 11/21/2008
Location: Long Island, NY
Status: Offline
Points: 5509
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n1ckb0n3z Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/25/2012 at 08:17
when's the last time they played electric dreams? I can't wait to see the footage.
I want BR to play Anesthesia in every language at every country they go to.
Back to Top
simian View Drop Down
Billy Gnosis
Billy Gnosis
Avatar
Avatar Nauseam

Joined: 11/20/2008
Location: Baltimore, MD
Status: Offline
Points: 1426
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote simian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/25/2012 at 08:44
Here is my rant about the Reason Rally. Sorry it's kind of long.

My phone was being lame when I got to the Mall, and I didn't get Torbar's text until I was leaving. I was in the pit for most of the songs, or right next to the pit. Not sure how many BRpagers I'd recognize, but I thnk I'd recognize torbar at least. Anyway, I didn't find you guys :( But my brother and I had a great time. In the pit, I fell against some guy standing on the edge of it and knocked him unconscious for a minute! (The side of my skull behind my ear where it's very thick hit his forehead, so I barely felt anything). I felt really bad about that, but I stayed with him and a medic came and checked him and he was okay. I think that's my first time knocking someone out at a BR show. I have been kicked in the head pretty good by crowd surfers though.

The acoustics were surprisingly good, all things considered. I loved seeing the Washington Monument in the background. I will post some brief videos I made from my phone later (so sound quality in the video will suck, but hey... at least you'll see the pit).

Don't know why Greg never spoke... seems like he should have spoke before their set, really, if he wanted to be heard by anyone who wasn't just sticking around to see BR play anyway.  Overall, while the rain didn't help, I thought the Reason Rally was fairly successful in terms of turnout. But I don't think the organizers were very good at creating a coherent message and getting their speakers to stay on that message. I felt like some of the speakers were too vitriolic.  Also, while I love Jamie Kilstein and think his comedy is fun to listen to in certain setting, I think it was a particularly poor choice for the Reason Rally. His loud, over-the-top vulgarity just was everything I didn't want this rally to be. There's going to be TONS of fodder for people who hate atheists to put in their "greatest hits" video compilations of the Reason Rally to make us sound like crass, amoral, fanatical people who you should never let go near your children.

Oh, and given the focus on America's constitution, wouldn't it have been prudent to fly an American flag SOMEWHERE near the stage? I don't think I saw one anywhere. Big PR fail.

It's strange that the lead singer of a punk rock band whose logo is the crossbuster is more nuanced and tolerant and peaceful of an atheist speaker than many of the others at the Reason Rally. However, that said, there were a few speakers in particular who really made the event shine and it was great to hear them. Richard Dawkins was as usual his pleasant grandfatherly self. Eddie Izzard did a fantastic comedy set that made me forget I was standing in the cold rain and just laugh for a while. 

Todd Stiefel of the Stiefel Freethought Foundation, the last scheduled speaker (besides Graffin), gave a really inspiring speech. His words exemplified what I think this movement should be about. He is married to a Christian woman and pointed out that so many of our values (except for not believing in God obviously) can be shared by religious people too.  Secular society is the goal we're striving for; we're not demanding that everyone give up their religious beliefs.  We just need to make our collective decisions as a society based on ways of finding the truth that we can all agree on (science, logic, reason), and we need to ensure equal rights for everyone regardless of their race, sex, gender, or sexual preference.

Well, there's my rant. I just woke up so I probably am leaving out some things. All in all, I give the Reason Rally a B-.  Definitely has some room for improvement, but I like the concept and it was inspiring to see how many people showed up and stayed until the end in the miserable cold rain. And capping it off with a Bad Religion set? Très bien!
"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." - Henry Louis Mencken
Back to Top
Will2099 View Drop Down
Incomplete
Incomplete
Avatar

Joined: 03/24/2012
Status: Offline
Points: 3
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Will2099 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/25/2012 at 08:59
Greg: "How many of you have seen enough professors and academics speaking today? Unfortunately you've got to stick through one more 'cause I'm afraid I fit in that bill as well."
Jay: "There's a doctor in the house."
Greg: "Today we're full of them, but like my son once said 'not the kind that can help anyone.'"


Back to Top
torbar View Drop Down
Infected
Infected
Avatar
Doctor of Doctored Photos

Joined: 11/06/2008
Location: internets
Status: Offline
Points: 1992
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote torbar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/25/2012 at 09:23
Originally posted by n1ckb0n3z n1ckb0n3z wrote:

when's the last time they played electric dreams? I can't wait to see the footage.


TESF tour
Back to Top
simian View Drop Down
Billy Gnosis
Billy Gnosis
Avatar
Avatar Nauseam

Joined: 11/20/2008
Location: Baltimore, MD
Status: Offline
Points: 1426
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote simian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/25/2012 at 10:12
All sound sucks, recorded on my phone. But here's a bit of video I captured:

Come Join Us (the best of the 3 vids):


Wrong Way Kids


Flat Earth Society (brief clip)





"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." - Henry Louis Mencken
Back to Top
uncivalien View Drop Down
Automatic Man
Automatic Man
Avatar

Joined: 02/15/2006
Location: Canada, BC
Status: Offline
Points: 676
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uncivalien Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/25/2012 at 10:40
Originally posted by simian simian wrote:

 I felt like some of the speakers were too vitriolic. 
. . .
However, that said, there were a few speakers in particular who really made the event shine and it was great to hear them. Richard Dawkins was as usual his pleasant grandfatherly self.

I've heard Dawkins name over and over and have been aware of him for years. Watching a live stream of his speech was the first attention I have given him. While I can't contend to his "usual" self, I can say that there was a portion of his speech that was pretty harsh. Rather unpleasant. . .

Dawkins said to "ridicule and mock" people for their religious beliefs. He used an example of asking a Catholic (in a mocking manner) if he/she truly believes that the cracker/bread/whatever actually turns into the body of Christ. At first, I was all for mocking & ridicule, laughing along with the crowd, but in reality now I can't imagine doing that to anyone I know. I'd have to meet my victims on a bus or something, and never see them again.  

Just because he was pleasant in his delivery, it doesn't make what he was actually suggesting very pleasant at all.


Edited by civalien - 03/25/2012 at 10:43
Back to Top
simian View Drop Down
Billy Gnosis
Billy Gnosis
Avatar
Avatar Nauseam

Joined: 11/20/2008
Location: Baltimore, MD
Status: Offline
Points: 1426
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote simian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/25/2012 at 10:46
Well, it all depends on how you interpret his idea of mocking. I've seen Dawkins actually confront religious people about their beliefs, and he's nowhere near as mean-spirited about it as his use of the terms "ridicule and mock" suggest. I think he is probably using poor words for what he's really suggesting that people do.
"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." - Henry Louis Mencken
Back to Top
uncivalien View Drop Down
Automatic Man
Automatic Man
Avatar

Joined: 02/15/2006
Location: Canada, BC
Status: Offline
Points: 676
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uncivalien Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/25/2012 at 10:52
Yeah even smart public figures use poor words sometimes.
Back to Top
frod79 View Drop Down
Generator
Generator
Avatar
Frod Almighty

Joined: 10/21/2010
Location: OlivGardenState
Status: Online
Points: 3559
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frod79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/25/2012 at 11:07
you were not far from us at all. id say within 20 feet based on the footage.
"Some claim there was no great shoeman in the sky, others say the answer won't be known until the other shoe drops" - Al Bundy
Back to Top
jbonvillern View Drop Down
Lost Pilgrim
Lost Pilgrim
Avatar

Joined: 03/14/2012
Location: FL
Status: Offline
Points: 24
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbonvillern Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/25/2012 at 11:13
I was standing near that pit, the right side of the stage. The performance was excellent and spot on, I was also impressed that they played the Answer and Electric Dreams. I have seen them before in the midst of a tour when they are tired and not playing as well, which is a major letdown. But this time they had great energy overall and I was very happy. Except for the fact I am probably going to get pneumonia from standing in the rain for a few hours. 

Also, the sound was very good--having the screens up was also a plus. The last time I saw them was with Rise Against and it totally sucked because the kids weren't really there to see them and the sound man did a horrible job. So yes, awesome day. Then I hopped in a cab and went and saw the Dropkicks for a little while, left before the end of their set. Lots of young drunk chicks at the Shamrock Fest at RFK Stadium.
Back to Top
jbonvillern View Drop Down
Lost Pilgrim
Lost Pilgrim
Avatar

Joined: 03/14/2012
Location: FL
Status: Offline
Points: 24
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbonvillern Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/25/2012 at 11:14
...and what was up with speaker from South Carolina?? He sounded quite drunk--speaking slowly and slurring his words.
Back to Top
rmg512 View Drop Down
Billy Gnosis
Billy Gnosis
Avatar
math mouth

Joined: 05/29/2009
Location: Columbus, OH
Status: Offline
Points: 1476
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rmg512 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/25/2012 at 11:21
Originally posted by simian simian wrote:

Well, it all depends on how you interpret his idea of mocking. I've seen Dawkins actually confront religious people about their beliefs, and he's nowhere near as mean-spirited about it as his use of the terms "ridicule and mock" suggest. I think he is probably using poor words for what he's really suggesting that people do.


Agreed.
Back to Top
rmg512 View Drop Down
Billy Gnosis
Billy Gnosis
Avatar
math mouth

Joined: 05/29/2009
Location: Columbus, OH
Status: Offline
Points: 1476
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rmg512 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/25/2012 at 11:26
Originally posted by simian simian wrote:

Here is my rant about the Reason Rally. Sorry it's kind of long.

My phone was being lame when I got to the Mall, and I didn't get Torbar's text until I was leaving. I was in the pit for most of the songs, or right next to the pit. Not sure how many BRpagers I'd recognize, but I thnk I'd recognize torbar at least. Anyway, I didn't find you guys :( But my brother and I had a great time. In the pit, I fell against some guy standing on the edge of it and knocked him unconscious for a minute! (The side of my skull behind my ear where it's very thick hit his forehead, so I barely felt anything). I felt really bad about that, but I stayed with him and a medic came and checked him and he was okay. I think that's my first time knocking someone out at a BR show. I have been kicked in the head pretty good by crowd surfers though.

The acoustics were surprisingly good, all things considered. I loved seeing the Washington Monument in the background. I will post some brief videos I made from my phone later (so sound quality in the video will suck, but hey... at least you'll see the pit).

Don't know why Greg never spoke... seems like he should have spoke before their set, really, if he wanted to be heard by anyone who wasn't just sticking around to see BR play anyway.  Overall, while the rain didn't help, I thought the Reason Rally was fairly successful in terms of turnout. But I don't think the organizers were very good at creating a coherent message and getting their speakers to stay on that message. I felt like some of the speakers were too vitriolic.  Also, while I love Jamie Kilstein and think his comedy is fun to listen to in certain setting, I think it was a particularly poor choice for the Reason Rally. His loud, over-the-top vulgarity just was everything I didn't want this rally to be. There's going to be TONS of fodder for people who hate atheists to put in their "greatest hits" video compilations of the Reason Rally to make us sound like crass, amoral, fanatical people who you should never let go near your children.

Oh, and given the focus on America's constitution, wouldn't it have been prudent to fly an American flag SOMEWHERE near the stage? I don't think I saw one anywhere. Big PR fail.

It's strange that the lead singer of a punk rock band whose logo is the crossbuster is more nuanced and tolerant and peaceful of an atheist speaker than many of the others at the Reason Rally. However, that said, there were a few speakers in particular who really made the event shine and it was great to hear them. Richard Dawkins was as usual his pleasant grandfatherly self. Eddie Izzard did a fantastic comedy set that made me forget I was standing in the cold rain and just laugh for a while. 

Todd Stiefel of the Stiefel Freethought Foundation, the last scheduled speaker (besides Graffin), gave a really inspiring speech. His words exemplified what I think this movement should be about. He is married to a Christian woman and pointed out that so many of our values (except for not believing in God obviously) can be shared by religious people too.  Secular society is the goal we're striving for; we're not demanding that everyone give up their religious beliefs.  We just need to make our collective decisions as a society based on ways of finding the truth that we can all agree on (science, logic, reason), and we need to ensure equal rights for everyone regardless of their race, sex, gender, or sexual preference.

Well, there's my rant. I just woke up so I probably am leaving out some things. All in all, I give the Reason Rally a B-.  Definitely has some room for improvement, but I like the concept and it was inspiring to see how many people showed up and stayed until the end in the miserable cold rain. And capping it off with a Bad Religion set? Très bien!


Good review. Thanks for posting it. I really wish I had the money to go. :/
Back to Top
BringBRTotheUK View Drop Down
Billy Gnosis
Billy Gnosis
Avatar
demonomaniac

Joined: 05/21/2010
Status: Offline
Points: 1396
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BringBRTotheUK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/25/2012 at 12:57
Originally posted by Will2099 Will2099 wrote:

Greg: "How many of you have seen enough professors and academics speaking today? Unfortunately you've got to stick through one more 'cause I'm afraid I fit in that bill as well."
Jay: "There's a doctor in the house."
Greg: "Today we're full of them, but like my son once said 'not the kind that can help anyone.'"



 
Great quote, I hope someone caught that on camera.
Back to Top
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789 10>
  Share Topic   

Forum Jump Forum Permissions View Drop Down

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 10.11
Copyright ©2001-2012 Web Wiz Ltd.

This page was generated in 2.766 seconds.