Forum | The Bad Religion Page - Since 1995 Reason Rally - March 24th, 2012 - The Bad Religion page forum - Page 8
Quote of the day: "One more acre, another tree, it's all untamed, of course it's free. One more acre, it seems no one cares, another great chance to put a building there" - Time And Disregard
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Reason Rally - March 24th, 2012

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678910>
Author
Robo Pilgrim View Drop Down
Generator
Generator
linkage robot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robo Pilgrim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/25/2012 at 15:35
Originally posted by simian simian wrote:

Well, it all depends on how you interpret his idea of mocking. I've seen Dawkins actually confront religious people about their beliefs, and he's nowhere near as mean-spirited about it as his use of the terms "ridicule and mock" suggest. I think he is probably using poor words for what he's really suggesting that people do.

Based on some other things he's said about religion I took it to mean don't be afraid to say what you really think about someone's beliefs. He's often spoken of how religion is given a great amount of respect without having to earn it.
I'm The Greatest™
simian View Drop Down
Billy Gnosis
Billy Gnosis

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote simian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/25/2012 at 19:07
Check out this guy's YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/ggraffin02

He has posted several high-res videos from the reason rally (even available in 1080p!) that have much better video and audio quality than mine.
"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." - Henry Louis Mencken
kariscene View Drop Down
Man With A Mission
Man With A Mission
Ultimate Brett Fangirl

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kariscene Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/25/2012 at 22:14
Interesting review, simian. Thank you for posting. I always enjoy reading reviews that go into detail, as it gives me a much better sense of the event and what it would've been like to be there myself. 

While Beyond Electric Dreams would be amazing to see live, I'm glad that -- given the combination of the weather, the $5k seating area, the shortened setlist, and *most importantly* the absence of Brett -- I decided to forego spending 26 out of 44 hours on a bus.
Give us this day our daily Brett.    http://fuckyeahbrettgurewitz.tumblr.com/
jbonvillern View Drop Down
Lost Pilgrim
Lost Pilgrim

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbonvillern Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/25/2012 at 22:36
It was worth it.
Viktor View Drop Down
Billy Gnosis
Billy Gnosis

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Viktor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/26/2012 at 09:33
Shitty solo on The Answer

Edited by Viktor - 03/26/2012 at 09:33
They said that islands were solid as bedrock standing firm forevermore, but over time even basement wastes away to the unrelenting shore
simian View Drop Down
Billy Gnosis
Billy Gnosis

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote simian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/26/2012 at 10:27
Originally posted by Viktor Viktor wrote:

Really? It sounded awesome to me in person.
"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." - Henry Louis Mencken
Marty View Drop Down
Admin
Admin
I'm with her

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/26/2012 at 10:48

Agreed. He may be a great guitarist, but at least *try* to play a solo as it was intended. This didn't even came close.
simian View Drop Down
Billy Gnosis
Billy Gnosis

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote simian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/26/2012 at 13:03
Man, I just watched the video of The Answer from the Reason Rally again, and I don't know what you guys are thinking. I don't see any point in playing the solo note for note like it is on the studio recording. Unique solos make individual performances of a song unique, and frankly, I thought Brian really nailed it with that solo. In fact, I sometimes even skip The Answer when I'm listening to Generator.  But I felt like the performance of it at the rally was one of the biggest highlights of their set. To each their own I suppose, but I really enjoyed Brian's solo on that song. It was also my first time seeing BR with giant monitors beside the stage, so I could see close-ups of their instruments during solos. It was cool to see a performance differently like that.
torbar View Drop Down
Infected
Infected
Doctor of Doctored Photos

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote torbar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/26/2012 at 13:07
The only thing I didn't like about the live solo of The Answer was the fact he didn't have the sustained note that suddenly goes up during the next verse
BringBRTotheUK View Drop Down
Billy Gnosis
Billy Gnosis
demonomaniac

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BringBRTotheUK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/26/2012 at 13:49

Solo is better in this version, but Greg's vocals were much better at the RR.

Edited by BringBRTotheUK - 03/26/2012 at 13:50
Viktor View Drop Down
Billy Gnosis
Billy Gnosis

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Viktor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/26/2012 at 13:52

I should have explained, I don't mean that Brian played the wrong notes or that the solo was sloppy, not clean sounding, the solo as solo it's great. It just don't fit the song, don't match the song. And I don't think that he should copy the solo that is played on the generator record but should play something more suitable for that song. BTW I love Brian Baker guitar playing a lot, he is my favorite guitar player.
They said that islands were solid as bedrock standing firm forevermore, but over time even basement wastes away to the unrelenting shore
Viktor View Drop Down
Billy Gnosis
Billy Gnosis

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Viktor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/26/2012 at 14:03
Originally posted by BringBRTotheUK BringBRTotheUK wrote:

Solo is better in this version, but Greg's vocals were much better at the RR.

Yup, that is one is really good and goes well with the song.
Graffincita View Drop Down
Lost Pilgrim
Lost Pilgrim

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graffincita Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/26/2012 at 16:01
I really had a great time and think the whole day was well worth the trip out from Cali.  I thought most of the speakers were really good and quite humorous.  The show was also really good, I can never complain about seeing them.  Although I was disappointed Greg didn't speak at the end, the rally was running extremely late so it had to be cut short.  I do think it ended quite abruptly and they should have made an announcement of sorts.  The rain and cold couldn't stop me from having a great time.  I also enjoyed meeting you guys this weekend!  
Robo Pilgrim View Drop Down
Generator
Generator
linkage robot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robo Pilgrim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/26/2012 at 16:29
Originally posted by Graffincita Graffincita wrote:

I really had a great time and think the whole day was well worth the trip out from Cali.  I thought most of the speakers were really good and quite humorous.  The show was also really good, I can never complain about seeing them.  Although I was disappointed Greg didn't speak at the end, the rally was running extremely late so it had to be cut short.  I do think it ended quite abruptly and they should have made an announcement of sorts.  The rain and cold couldn't stop me from having a great time.  I also enjoyed meeting you guys this weekend!  

I agree with this. I also agree with Tim Minchin about boobs.
I'm The Greatest™
Guns View Drop Down
Automatic Man
Automatic Man

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guns Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/26/2012 at 16:41
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gC1NDGZ1EPU&context=C45d6fc4ADvjVQa1PpcFMAXk9YiL0iKwSfPNDDpwMkv-Sc84JsPww=

soundcheck - Flat earth society, beyong eletric dream and god song
frod79 View Drop Down
Generator
Generator
Frod Almighty

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frod79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/26/2012 at 16:59
Originally posted by Graffincita Graffincita wrote:

It was great to meet you & your friends as well.
"Some claim there was no great shoeman in the sky, others say the answer won't be known until the other shoe drops" - Al Bundy
frod79 View Drop Down
Generator
Generator
Frod Almighty

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frod79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/26/2012 at 22:57
Bad Religion, The Reason Rally, and a Theist's Perspective

I wanted to offer up a review of the Bad Religion performance this past Saturday but, since I was also an observer of the day's events, also wanted to throw out my thoughts about the event as a whole as well.

Friday started off with a bit of a time crunch as I met up with Mr. Robo Pilgrim in New York City's busy Port Authority Bus Terminal.  Our bus was scheduled for 10:30 and we met with 10 minutes or so to spare, though it took us about a half hour to board our bus anyway.  We arrived at Washington DC around 3:30 in the afternoon, and the traffic as expected was a pain in the ass the closer we got to Union Station. From there we took a cab straight to the pre-determined meetup spot, which was a placed called (ironically enough) Church Key.  This place was ridiculous! They had three separate refrigeration temperature controls (42, 48, and 52 degrees Fahrenheit, respectively) for their 555 (!) different varieties of draught and bottled beers.  After $8.50 disco fries and a few pints of beer (I believe I had the AECHT SCHLENKERLA FASTENBIER and the ST. IDESBALD BLOND), the remainder of our party showed up (BRP, his friend Dan, Graffincita, her sister and friends) and had a formal dinner outside. I passed on the $16.00 Brat burger and settled for the mac & cheese appetizer for dinner and worried about eating later... We walked around looking for beer, made our way to the hotel room, drank &  listened to some tunes and called it a night.

As the morning of the Reason Rally dawned upon us, the four of us  met up near the Washington Monument along with torbar who showed up early in the A.M.  The sky was overcast and rain certainly was to be a factor in the forecast for Saturday.   I am trying to come up with thoughts regarding the rally itself, and they are mixed.  You should know that yes, I am a Christian, and yes I do believe in the separation of church & state. Yes I love science and the pursuit of knowledge and understanding, and obviously my taste in music is rather awesome in Bad Religion,  because all these challenge my thoughts & beliefs. 

However, and this is probably perhaps due more to my upbringing and where I live, but I've approached things with the following mindset: If you're an atheist, great,  you're an atheist. If you're a christian, great, you're a christian.  I have never had any instance of being discriminated against when i was an atheist, so I cannot relate to people who have.  I see atheists the same as i see Christians, Muslims, Jewish folks, Taoists, Zoarastrians, Rastafarians, Trustafarians, hipsters, and Betty White: as people (i have my reservations about hipsters),  and I feel those behind the event only partially accomplished their purported objective written on the Rally website and in press releases: "... to combat negative stereotypes about nonreligious Americans"  A few observations:

1. The $500, $1,000, and $5,000 VIP folding-chair seats in front of the stage. "Rub elbows with the stars!" I guess that rubbed my elbow the wrong way. Haves & have nots together at last, not sticking around to watch BR in combat.

2. Disingenously Inviting Westboro Baptist Church  If you're going to invite someone who disagrees with you, you might as well invite the fringiest fringe group that ever fringed.  It is both the best publicity  and worst strategic decision the organizers could ever had made. Yes they wouldve been there anyway, but it's still a Busch league tactic.

3. The event by all accounts was a calm and enjoyable event, despite the rain and everyone was pretty friendly.  

4. I understand it was branded as a day of entertainment and fun, and I understand you don't have to be a scholar to convey a message,  but a thoughtful discussion facilitated by prominent, well respected, educated scholars of different backgrounds would have been a sound decision to support the name of the event.  Then again, I'm not organizing it, so it's perfectly fine for them to not have done so despite my disagreements. It wouldve been awesome to have seen someone like Peter Millican present, just someone i've been watching debating lately.

5. The wide range of sloganeering on shirts and signs... Most were pretty amusing,... and I can take a joke.  Guy carrying cross with clown head on the top.  Guy dressed as Jesus riding a T-rex. (kinda funny tbh) People dressed in  a large Christ-puppet type thing.  Some were less than humorous. ("So Many Christians, so few Lions")  If the event was a celebration of  secular values, then displaying Christian imagery to bash them at a self-proclaimed godless event doesn't seem beneficial to anyone. I wasn't offended, I'm just saying people in the crowd could have taken a higher road, but people will be people.

6. Lack of a Cohesive Message.  Aside from "We're here! We're Godless! Get Used to it!" chants, there was little in the way of a cohesive message. Lots of pronouncements of being the torchbearers of reason, but some of the individual speeches failed in that respect. I also have to agree to disagree that just because one has faith they can't be a reasonable person.  I have to credit Greg for his insistence of calling himself a naturalist, saying he focuses on what he is instead of what he isn't. I got the impression that the focus of the Rally was on what they are not, instead of what they are.Some thoughts regarding the guests invited to speak/perform:

Andy Shernoff/ Shelley Segal - Andy opened with a few Jesus bashing tunes, though Shelley had a more introspective point of view with her music.

Dr. Graffin sings national anthem. Rally officially kicks off. 

Paul Provenza (emcee) was humorous and lighthearted throughout most of the afternoon. I was wondering how long his phone was going to last held in the rain reading off those tweets.

David Silverman - butted in more than needed to throughout the day, urged  unpopular but necessary lawsuits (like we need more) and  "zero tolerance" for anyone who disagrees with or insults atheism (Sounds alot like some religious people). I really did not like this guy. If this guy is the president of American Atheists, good luck with that.

Jessica Ahlquist - what a powerful young (and brave!) speaker, I really respected her and her story was inspiring.  Hemant Mehta presented her with a $68,000 or so check for her college tuition. Good vibes.

Thumbs up
Adam Savage, Penn Jillette, James Randi, the Tom Harkin & Pete Stark videos,  Nate Phelps, Eddie Izzard, Tim Minchin, Todd Stiefel and of course Bad Religion.  While i don't have to agree with  every point made, I found myself being entertained and informed.  

Meh
Jamie Kilstein (he was pretty funny and the Christian Hugging thing is GOLDEN comedy, but i can't get past his ranting style),  Indra Zuno (who spoke in Spanish, most people probably didn't understand a word she said) Taslima Nasrin, Hemant Mehta, PZ Myers, Cristina Rad. I can see where they were coming from, but was less entertained/enlightened compared to those above.

Thumbs down 
Greta Christina (too angry for my tastes, though i will agree with her anger over Rick Santorum being a viable presidential candidate!), David Silverman (he gets mentioned twice lol), Bill Maher (mostly for showing an old clip as his video presentation).   I think Dawkins did a pretty good job, though i will let his mockery and ridicule comment stand on its own as the context of that comment has already been discussed here so, that's the end of that.

Oh wait, how about that Bad Religion band!? Well after pushing the drums/gear back and mopping the stage, BR took over.  The VIP section was empty, the mosh pit to our side of the stage was going strong.  I commend those who stayed out in the rain for them, they got an energetic Greg and company and a great set. Like stated before once they stopped,  the event ended abrupty, not even a "hey thanks for coming, this is the end of the afternoon" just event staff dismantling BR's equipment and folding up seats.  Very odd, but 6pm means 6pm!

Just wanted to thank BRP, Robo, torbar, Johnvicious, and Graffincita for being there and hanging out, and it was an absolute pleasure meeting you if if it was for the first time. Had fun. See you along the way.

Let the cabbage hurling @frod79 begin!
"Some claim there was no great shoeman in the sky, others say the answer won't be known until the other shoe drops" - Al Bundy
n1ckb0n3z View Drop Down
Universal Cynic
Universal Cynic
Bass boss but still a n00b

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n1ckb0n3z Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/27/2012 at 05:53

I should have explained, I don't mean that Brian played the wrong notes or that the solo was sloppy, not clean sounding, the solo as solo it's great. It just don't fit the song, don't match the song. And I don't think that he should copy the solo that is played on the generator record but should play something more suitable for that song. BTW I love Brian Baker guitar playing a lot, he is my favorite guitar player.
i read what all you guys were saying before i watched the footage of the answer so i knew what to expect. it was an awesome solo but i didn't think that it complimented the song as well as the original version.

Edited by n1ckb0n3z - 03/27/2012 at 05:54
I want BR to play Anesthesia in every language at every country they go to.
uncivalien View Drop Down
Automatic Man
Automatic Man

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uncivalien Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/27/2012 at 06:18
*hurls giant Brussels sprout @frod*

And THAT'S what I think of your recap!! :P
frod79 View Drop Down
Generator
Generator
Frod Almighty

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frod79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/27/2012 at 06:57
now my salad is complete!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678910>
  Share Topic