Forum | The Bad Religion Page - Since 1995 Reason Rally - March 24th, 2012 - The Bad Religion page forum - Page 10
Quote of the day: "In a quantity of light, you can search for all of your life, but it's finite. From a sudden burst of sound, the recoil may never be found, but it is finite (finite but incalculable)." - Finite
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Reason Rally - March 24th, 2012

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 8910
Author
golden View Drop Down
Blenderhead
Blenderhead

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote golden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/29/2012 at 17:01
...a band logo made by teenagers offending people... inconceivable!

I am sure people on the Bad Religion forum are for the most part, more apt to look as deeply as possible into the points their favorite band may be making. I just don't think a rational person would dismiss them for the things they say in their songs. If you only listen (not only in music, but in life in general)  to those that share and agree with our own beliefs, you live in a narrow passage. Believing that we are the only ones that possibly could be right, puts us in a boat, with many of the same people we claim to loathe. 

My parents might have rolled their eyes @the cross buster, but they were not afraid of it. They knew the decisions we make in life, our ours to make. And they were always very religious, and smart and thoughtful people. And thier example to me was based on  their values.
SayYourPrayers View Drop Down
Billy Gnosis
Billy Gnosis
Thread Revivalist

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SayYourPrayers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/29/2012 at 17:22
Originally posted by golden golden wrote:

I am sure people on the Bad Religion forum are for the most part, more apt to look as deeply as possible into the points their favorite band may be making. I just don't think a rational person would dismiss them for the things they say in their songs..

I also think any rational person understands that the foot you put forward is the foot people notice. Whether it's fair or not, first impressions are lasting impressions. I think Greg and Brett are smart enough to understand this and so I think it's totally reasonable to assume that they're fine being thought of as anti-religious.
Careful man, there's a beverage here!
n1ckb0n3z View Drop Down
Universal Cynic
Universal Cynic
Bass boss but still a n00b

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n1ckb0n3z Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/31/2012 at 10:07

Originally posted by BringBRTotheUK BringBRTotheUK wrote:

I did not know that you are a Christian - I always thought the religious fans of BR that Greg talks about were imaginary. 

Music is about sound... The lyrics that go with the music may be very important. But bands like the Ramones showed that you can be a powerful influence on music, without  ever writing a meaningful lyric.

That being said, the lyrics that Greg and Brett write are often not black & white and many can be interpreted in different ways. What may be clear to you, may mean something totally different to someone else. Although Greg's lyrics especially, have many times been clearly pointed at the belief in God, or the institution of religion, to me, it hardly defines all that he and the band has to offer. I always thought it was strange that someone would think that everyone who liked Bad Religion was an atheist .
I whole heartedly agree with you, golden. The thing that attracted me to BR years ago was their sound. I am just now finding about what their lyrics mean.
I want BR to play Anesthesia in every language at every country they go to.
Viktor View Drop Down
Billy Gnosis
Billy Gnosis

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Viktor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/31/2012 at 11:01
Originally posted by n1ckb0n3z n1ckb0n3z wrote:

Originally posted by BringBRTotheUK BringBRTotheUK wrote:

I did not know that you are a Christian - I always thought the religious fans of BR that Greg talks about were imaginary. 

Music is about sound... The lyrics that go with the music may be very important. But bands like the Ramones showed that you can be a powerful influence on music, without  ever writing a meaningful lyric.

That being said, the lyrics that Greg and Brett write are often not black & white and many can be interpreted in different ways. What may be clear to you, may mean something totally different to someone else. Although Greg's lyrics especially, have many times been clearly pointed at the belief in God, or the institution of religion, to me, it hardly defines all that he and the band has to offer. I always thought it was strange that someone would think that everyone who liked Bad Religion was an atheist .
I whole heartedly agree with you, golden. The thing that attracted me to BR years ago was their sound. I am just now finding about what their lyrics mean.
Agree with both of you guys and I still don't care always about the lyrics, in first place I enjoy their melodies, Greg's voice and then the rest of the music and lyrics come last.  There are many songs which lyrics I don't understand or understand  them partially but still love the song.
They said that islands were solid as bedrock standing firm forevermore, but over time even basement wastes away to the unrelenting shore
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 8910
  Share Topic