Forum | The Bad Religion Page - Since 1995 Volunteers needed for Media! - The Bad Religion page forum - Page 1
Quote of the day: "But it looks as though faith alone won't sustain us anymore." - Faith Alone
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Volunteers needed for Media!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Jesse View Drop Down
Staff
Staff
I'm with him

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jesse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Volunteers needed for Media!
    Posted: 04/09/2012 at 13:32
Last August the Media section finally  went  live. The past months a lot of interviews, articles and reviews have been added to the archive. However, transcribing interviews and articles takes a lot of time, especially the foreign ones. 
Currently we have over 30 items that still haven't been transcribed. We're now looking for volunteers who would like to help us out with transcribing these interviews and articles. Of course it would be easier if you're familiar with one of the following languages: Finnish, Italian, Japanese, Swedish and/or Portuguese. 

How it works:
- If you want to help, leave a message here to prevent others from working on the same interview/article
- Download the PDF or use the images and transcribe the interview/article
- Stay true to the original text (e.g. don't correct spelling errors or typos)
- Write a short synopsis (3 lines max.) in English

Here are the interviews/articles per language:

Italian

Swedish
SA #21 - November/December 1993 - irascible

Edited by Jesse - 08/05/2013 at 15:04
Gotta use your brain, it's the most important part of your equipment.
Alice View Drop Down
Automatic Man
Automatic Man
12 hours wiser

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/09/2012 at 15:39
Out of interest, how accurate would something like Google Translate be? I know it's bit shaky on phrases and getting the right meaning for some words, but would it be something worth trying?

Just a thought...
micpal View Drop Down
Hippy Killer
Hippy Killer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micpal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/09/2012 at 18:18
Originally posted by Alice Alice wrote:

Out of interest, how accurate would something like Google Translate be? I know it's bit shaky on phrases and getting the right meaning for some words, but would it be something worth trying?

Just a thought...

The way I understood it, it's not about translating, but about typing out what is written in those articles in the original language, which is something I would like to help with, but I think it would be quite difficult for me since I don't speak any of those languages. Actually, I do know a little Japanese, but I hardly know any kanji characters, so it would probably take me weeks to transcribe those articles.

Alice View Drop Down
Automatic Man
Automatic Man
12 hours wiser

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/09/2012 at 19:15
Originally posted by micpal micpal wrote:

Just a thought...

The way I understood it, it's not about translating, but about typing out what is written in those articles in the original language, which is something I would like to help with, but I think it would be quite difficult for me since I don't speak any of those languages. Actually, I do know a little Japanese, but I hardly know any kanji characters, so it would probably take me weeks to transcribe those articles.

Ah, good point. I misread 'transcribe' for 'translate'. I'm obviously not a good candidate for this job!
UbiqueDaemon View Drop Down
Modern Man
Modern Man
Viewing New Posts

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UbiqueDaemon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/09/2012 at 21:46
Originally posted by Jesse Jesse wrote:

This is actually in Swedish :)
Jesse View Drop Down
Staff
Staff
I'm with him

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jesse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/09/2012 at 23:31
Originally posted by UbiqueDaemon UbiqueDaemon wrote:

This is actually in Swedish :)
Ah right! Fixed it! Thanks. :)
Jesse View Drop Down
Staff
Staff
I'm with him

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jesse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/09/2012 at 23:40
Originally posted by micpal micpal wrote:

Just a thought...

Micpal is right. We're currently not looking for translators; that's something we would like to do in the near future though.

And even if you're not familiar with the languages you can still have a shot...if you have the patience. :)
I've tried to transcribe some myself, but having to check every word is quite time-consuming. 
Some Guy View Drop Down
American Jesus (Mod)
American Jesus (Mod)
Voice of Flavorlessness

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Some Guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/10/2012 at 02:46
I'll do the Doll #155 article. It'll give me a reason to get back to studying Japanese.
Maybe in order to understand mankind, we have to look at the word itself. It's made up of two separate words: "mank" and "ind." What do these words mean? It's a mystery, and that's why so is mankind.
Anti- View Drop Down
Generator
Generator
Butt-head

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anti- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/10/2012 at 04:05
I'd love to help with this... I'm just kinda busy w/ school right now... 
Sometimes It Feels Like... *?!%+!*#@+¤
irascible View Drop Down
Hippy Killer
Hippy Killer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irascible Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/10/2012 at 05:49
I'll try this one Suosikki "Jenkkibändi Bad Religion: "Britti-punk on roskaa!" - October 2000

@Alice and others interested in the feasibility of Google translate: I took the first sentences of that article and ran them. Don't really think it's working with Finnish...

"Barking like the British, says Bad Religion guitarist Brian Baker. - Every time, but will have the opportunity! In Helsinki in August by shorter-American band's second guitarist Greg Hetson says with a laugh."
I must admit that I'm into men
Jesse View Drop Down
Staff
Staff
I'm with him

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jesse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/10/2012 at 10:20
Originally posted by Some Guy Some Guy wrote:

I'll do the Doll #155 article. It'll give me a reason to get back to studying Japanese.
Cool! I'll put you on the list for that article. Take your time, there's no deadline. :)
Jesse View Drop Down
Staff
Staff
I'm with him

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jesse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/16/2012 at 11:57
Some people have volunteered; I've updated the list!
SayYourPrayers View Drop Down
Billy Gnosis
Billy Gnosis
Thread Revivalist

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SayYourPrayers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/16/2012 at 12:00
I will give this a shot.
Careful man, there's a beverage here!
Jesse View Drop Down
Staff
Staff
I'm with him

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jesse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/16/2012 at 12:14
Originally posted by SayYourPrayers SayYourPrayers wrote:

I will give this a shot.

Don't forget to let us know which one(s) you'd like to do, just to prevent people working on the same one(s).
Jesse View Drop Down
Staff
Staff
I'm with him

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jesse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/25/2012 at 13:22
And here we go again...I've updated the list. 

No Portuguese speaking (or reading) folks around here??? 
Raindancer View Drop Down
Automatic Man
Automatic Man
It's Rainy man. Hallelujah!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raindancer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/26/2012 at 02:09
I'd like to try the first Italian one:
Alias #27 "Punk, i devoti i San Fernando" - July 2010
I don't speak Italian, but maybe I want to learn it after I did this ;)

Also, if you need translators for German articles, I'm in. :)

EDIT: Do you have a better image of the article? It's barely readable...

Edited by Raindancer - 04/26/2012 at 02:11
Ich bin ein Weltraumfahrer, ein Regentänzer, ein Waldbeschützer
Jesse View Drop Down
Staff
Staff
I'm with him

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jesse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/26/2012 at 12:22
Originally posted by Raindancer Raindancer wrote:

Thanks! I've updated the list with your name. 
Did you download the PDF?  You can zoom in a little more than the original image. :)
Raindancer View Drop Down
Automatic Man
Automatic Man
It's Rainy man. Hallelujah!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raindancer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/26/2012 at 13:10

Originally posted by Raindancer Raindancer wrote:

Thanks! I've updated the list with your name. 
Did you download the PDF?  You can zoom in a little more than the original image. :)

Ah now it works. The PDF download button wasn't there when I checked the first time. Now I've downloaded it and it's still hard to read, but better than before.
Ich bin ein Weltraumfahrer, ein Regentänzer, ein Waldbeschützer
Some Guy View Drop Down
American Jesus (Mod)
American Jesus (Mod)
Voice of Flavorlessness

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Some Guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/26/2012 at 22:47
Be glad you aren't working with Chinese characters. They're a nightmare to decipher when the text is small.
Maybe in order to understand mankind, we have to look at the word itself. It's made up of two separate words: "mank" and "ind." What do these words mean? It's a mystery, and that's why so is mankind.
Jesse View Drop Down
Staff
Staff
I'm with him

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jesse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/27/2012 at 01:01
Originally posted by Some Guy Some Guy wrote:

Be glad you aren't working with Chinese characters. They're a nightmare to decipher when the text is small.
Chinese or Japanese? Just let me know if you need the original scans..they're much bigger than the ones in the media.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic