Forum | The Bad Religion Page - Since 1995 The General Strike - The Bad Religion page forum
Quote of the day: "Some people are almost impossible to live with. Some people have faith in the craziest things. They follow outdated conventions that were recorded. But most of it to me all sounds insane." - Popular Consensus
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

The General Strike

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
punkrockjustin View Drop Down
Hippy Killer
Hippy Killer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote punkrockjustin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The General Strike
    Posted: 04/25/2012 at 16:14
I'm kind of surprised I don't see anything about this album here.  I think it's a hell of a great album.  Anyone else?
DaymanVersusNightman View Drop Down
The Devil In Stitches
The Devil In Stitches

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaymanVersusNightman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/25/2012 at 18:09
Who's it by?
punkfan75 View Drop Down
Hippy Killer
Hippy Killer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote punkfan75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/25/2012 at 18:48
Originally posted by DaymanVersusNightman DaymanVersusNightman wrote:

Who's it by?

anti flag

i have to say i didn't like it  but then again im not a fan of anti flag

Edited by punkfan75 - 04/25/2012 at 18:49
DaymanVersusNightman View Drop Down
The Devil In Stitches
The Devil In Stitches

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaymanVersusNightman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/25/2012 at 19:10
Oh god, I can't believe I ever listened to them.  I still like a chunk of their songs, but For Blood and Empire is the last pretty decent album they've had.  I heard some of the new material and its pretty bad.  They're more or less a parody of themselves.  
Recard86 View Drop Down
Man With A Mission
Man With A Mission

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Recard86 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/26/2012 at 10:25
Hah i thought this was the topic with my lyrics i posted here with the same name at first couple months ago, anti-flag copy cats :P But yeah the album is decent, it is what is; anti-flag.
"Don't forget to let your life rot you inside out"
keevhren View Drop Down
The Devil In Stitches
The Devil In Stitches
Ask me about vinyl.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote keevhren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/26/2012 at 11:24
great record, band has yet to disappoint.  
Its the Fast Life, there's nothing i can do... Trade me your Bad Religion Records: http://howsyouredge.com/swap/display.php?page=1155
Hippy Killer
Hippy Killer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote punkrockjustin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/26/2012 at 14:15
Originally posted by DaymanVersusNightman DaymanVersusNightman wrote:

Oh god, I can't believe I ever listened to them.  I still like a chunk of their songs, but For Blood and Empire is the last pretty decent album they've had.  I heard some of the new material and its pretty bad.  They're more or less a parody of themselves.  

I think The Terror State is their best one, and this is the first one since then that I'd compare to it.  It's not really a roots album, but it's a nice old-meets-new mix, almost like New Maps of Hell was... hm... and now Pennywise is doing the same thing ...Wait a second, these bands have been having mid-life crises or something!  Good thing, too.
thedude15 View Drop Down
Hippy Killer
Hippy Killer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thedude15 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/05/2012 at 15:12
I was totally blown away by Anti-Flag's new album. I'm fine with them copying the title "General Strike" from DOA, since Joey Shithead has said that he's fine with people using that song for what they want to promote, or to incorporate the idea of a general strike into something else. Not surprisingly there are some songs which support the Occupy movement. I thought the first song they released from it ("Neoliberal Anthem") was ok, though the rest of the songs were incredible. This is my favorite one from them yet, with For Blood and Empire being a close second. This is my favorite album released so far this year. "Ghosts of Alexandria" is one of my favorite songs of all time. I also like that there are some hardcore songs on the album like Bullshit Opportunities and Resist.

Edited by thedude15 - 05/05/2012 at 15:14
Recard86 View Drop Down
Man With A Mission
Man With A Mission

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Recard86 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/05/2012 at 15:20
Originally posted by thedude15 thedude15 wrote:

I was totally blown away by Anti-Flag's new album. I'm fine with them copying the title "General Strike" from DOA, since Joey Shithead has said that he's fine with people using that song for what they want to promote, or to incorporate the idea of a general strike into something else. Not surprisingly there are some songs which support the Occupy movement. I thought the first song they released from it ("Neoliberal Anthem") was ok, though the rest of the songs were incredible. This is my favorite one from them yet, with For Blood and Empire being a close second. This is my favorite album released so far this year. "Ghosts of Alexandria" is one of my favorite songs of all time. I also like that there are some hardcore songs on the album like Bullshit Opportunities and Resist.

Yes Joey Shithead created the "general strike".
kariscene View Drop Down
Man With A Mission
Man With A Mission
Ultimate Brett Fangirl

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kariscene Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/05/2012 at 15:37
Originally posted by Recard86 Recard86 wrote:

Originally posted by thedude15 thedude15 wrote:

I'm fine with them copying the title "General Strike" from DOA, since Joey Shithead has said that he's fine with people using that song for what they want to promote, or to incorporate the idea of a general strike into something else.
Yes Joey Shithead created the "general strike".

I *really* hope that this is a joke.

As for the album, it seems like standard Anti-Flag to me. I really like some of the songs, some are good, some are meh. Always love their live shows.
Give us this day our daily Brett.    http://fuckyeahbrettgurewitz.tumblr.com/
Robo Pilgrim View Drop Down
Generator
Generator
linkage robot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robo Pilgrim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/05/2012 at 15:53
I think it's more than likely that was a joke.
I'm The Greatest™
Recard86 View Drop Down
Man With A Mission
Man With A Mission

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Recard86 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/06/2012 at 10:37
Originally posted by Robo Pilgrim Robo Pilgrim wrote:

I think it's more than likely that was a joke.

:)
kariscene View Drop Down
Man With A Mission
Man With A Mission
Ultimate Brett Fangirl

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kariscene Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/06/2012 at 22:31
I meant the first quote, not Recard's. Phone post quote fail3d.
Give us this day our daily Brett.    http://fuckyeahbrettgurewitz.tumblr.com/
Robo Pilgrim View Drop Down
Generator
Generator
linkage robot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robo Pilgrim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/07/2012 at 01:46
I'm not so sure about that one.
I'm The Greatest™
n1ckb0n3z View Drop Down
Universal Cynic
Universal Cynic
Bass boss but still a n00b

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n1ckb0n3z Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/07/2012 at 06:13
Great album but not their strongest
I want BR to play Anesthesia in every language at every country they go to.
I Dont Belong View Drop Down
Man With A Mission
Man With A Mission

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote I Dont Belong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/08/2012 at 00:20
I like this album I just wish they would put more songs on their albums especially when the songs are so short.
"The Democratic Party never was, nor ever will be, a true opposition party"
Hippy Killer
Hippy Killer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote punkrockjustin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/08/2012 at 12:44

Yea, they should double the number of songs.  And/or make them longer.  A progressive Anti-Flag album would be nice.

\m/.(><).\m/
┌∩┐(◕_◕)┌∩┐
thedude15 View Drop Down
Hippy Killer
Hippy Killer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thedude15 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/09/2012 at 20:09
Some people have made a good point that some of the songs are too short on this album (i.e. "Turn a Blind Eye" could have used a bridge and repeat of the chorus, while I understand how "Controlled Opposition" and "Resist" were written to be short blasts of hardcore punk). While this is the shortest Anti-Flag album (at 26 min.), I like how its a concise listen and how the songs flow into each other. However, I suspect that this song flow was created with some editing, and that they originally didn't write "Nothing Recedes Like Progress" and "Resist" as one song (for example). I specifically like the transition between "1915" and "This is the New Sound". While they haven't claimed to write a concept album, it seems that many of the songs were inspired by the Occupy movement and the revolutions in the Middle East which occurred in 2011. 

On a note unrelated to what I was talking about, I like how "This is the New Sound" sounds like the Clash, both musically and lyrically. 

I also like how "I Don't Wanna" has the same feel as "Watershed" by the Foo Fighters, although I don't think this was intentional; I definitely don't consider this a ripoff. For those that don't know that Foo Fighters song, it was on their first album (which Dave Grohl wrote and recorded all by himself). "Watershed" sounds like it was influenced by Nirvana and Kurt Cobain's songwriting, and sounds completely different than the signature Foo Fighters song. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=07QeQEmUjZA

Edited by thedude15 - 05/09/2012 at 20:13
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic