Forum | The Bad Religion Page - Since 1995 How do I get the "Bad Religion" guitar tone? - The Bad Religion page forum
Quote of the day: "There's a world outside but I can't really make it. There's a life to lead but I can't exactly fake it. Yet the mood feels right. But my island is sinking out of sight." - The Island
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

How do I get the "Bad Religion" guitar tone?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Banjo View Drop Down
Infected
Infected
Jay's Creditor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banjo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How do I get the "Bad Religion" guitar tone?
    Posted: 04/30/2012 at 07:14
Hey everyone, it's Banjo - I'm an idiot and managed to lock myself out of my account. :D

Anyway, in a couple of days I'm getting my first electric guitar (and amp and so on). I'm really looking forward to it, but I'm wondering if anyone has any ideas on how to go about getting a "Bad Religion" sound (and I don't mean ringing out 12-12-12-X-X-X :P). I've ordered this amp and a Yamaha Pacifica 112v, but it's all completely new to me.

From what I understand (and I understand NOTHING), by changing the settings on the amp, you can get different sounds. So how do I go about getting a Bad Religion sound? "Treble to 6, bass to 2, mid to 4" and all that kind of stuff I know nothing about?

I know Bad Religion's guitar sound has changed a lot over the years (even between different songs on the same album), but I would like to get a You Are the Government kind of tone, and also a Sinister Rouge tone, but if I'm asking stupid questions, please let me know!

Many thanks!!
I owe Jabberwock coffee.
I owe RoboPilgrim 9p.
Harbortown View Drop Down
Henchman
Henchman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Harbortown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/30/2012 at 09:09
It's a bit of a task to give you a general overview seeing as the sound varies so much depending on your amp and your guitar. They all sound different.

Either way...the guitar tones on Suffer and TESF are quite different but I'll try to give you the best settings based on my experience. For Suffer, turn pre-gain all the way up. This controls the amount of distortion you want, and Suffer had lots of it. I'd do the same with Low and High and put Mid somewhere on 50-75%. If you want a beefier tone, turn the Mid all the way down, but for Bad Religion that normally sounds way too metal.
So yeah, post-gain is pretty much your volume control. Turn it up carefully because with pre-gain turned all the way up it'll be loud.

For TESF I'd put the Mid halfway up and do the same with High, since the tone on the album sounds pretty muddy.
Banjo View Drop Down
Infected
Infected
Jay's Creditor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banjo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/30/2012 at 12:04
Thanks!!! I really appreciate that. I'm really looking forward to trying it out to see what it's like!

Also, Marty saved the day by sorting out my account. Everyone go click on some ads. ;D
I owe Jabberwock coffee.
I owe RoboPilgrim 9p.
GillesDeRiceKrispies View Drop Down
Automatic Man
Automatic Man

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GillesDeRiceKrispies Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/30/2012 at 12:49
For a Suffer tone, have someone hit a snare drum whenever you're about to start playing.
Christmas Halford is watching you all year every year.
I have a way with words like pedophiles have a way with children, consequently I'm not allowed within 500 feet of a bookstore or library.
nropevolI View Drop Down
Infected
Infected
pr0n Jeremy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nropevolI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/30/2012 at 13:20
this looks like a modelling amp. they don't own the right to the names of the real amplifiers they try to simulate. but my guess is "twin" is a Fender Twin Reverb and "Brit" is a Vox AC 30 sound for example. so you have to figure out what name is a Marshall sound.
Banjo View Drop Down
Infected
Infected
Jay's Creditor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banjo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/30/2012 at 13:26
Thanks, reading online it seems "Brit" is Marshall?
I owe Jabberwock coffee.
I owe RoboPilgrim 9p.
torbar View Drop Down
Infected
Infected
Doctor of Doctored Photos

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote torbar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/30/2012 at 13:38
Sounds right.

One thing to keep in mind is, various things go into a guitar tone, including equipment and playing, so you probably won't get an exact BR guitar tone
Banjo View Drop Down
Infected
Infected
Jay's Creditor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banjo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/30/2012 at 13:53
Yeah, I don't expect it to be perfect, but close would be cool. :)
I owe Jabberwock coffee.
I owe RoboPilgrim 9p.
Banjo View Drop Down
Infected
Infected
Jay's Creditor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banjo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/10/2012 at 01:00
Btw, these sounded awesome. I feel like a dick for not coming back to this topic after I tried it.

Now I'm going to sound like even more of a dick; Any other stabs at the settings for other albums? I know they're probably going to be pretty similiar;

SUFFER

Pre-gain: 10
Low: 10
Mid: 6
Treble: 10

THE EMPIRE STRIKES FIRST

Pre-gain: 10
Low: 10
Mid: 5
Treble: 5

Any more? I know it's all BR so it should all be roughly the same kind of tone, but if anyone can help out with any variations that would be cool to hear!

Thanks!
I owe Jabberwock coffee.
I owe RoboPilgrim 9p.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic