Forum | The Bad Religion Page - Since 1995 Going out on top...??? - The Bad Religion page forum - Page 2
Quote of the day: "Kerosene keeps me warm, I'm alone to watch it burn" - Kerosene
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Going out on top...???

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Graffinius View Drop Down
Staff
Staff
punk bunny in a man suit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graffinius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/26/2013 at 22:15
Originally posted by Righteous Student Righteous Student wrote:

Indeed, True North is epic.  This is precisely why it would make sense for them to call it quits and go out with their heads held high.

Doesn't this logic apply to TPoB. Shouldn't they have called it quits after TPoB since that album was fucking epic! No. BR will live on... and on... and on.. for etern.... for at least a few more years.
this thing changes a lot
jazzpunk View Drop Down
Henchman
Henchman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jazzpunk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/27/2013 at 01:51
I believe Graffin said in an interview that they were going to keep doing this until they die. And I also don't believe it is possible for BR to release a bad album at this point, their writing style is pretty much unbreakable in my opinion.
Robo Pilgrim View Drop Down
Generator
Generator
linkage robot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robo Pilgrim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/27/2013 at 03:58
Greg and Brett will keep writing songs as long as they have ideas for them. How long they'll keep playing and touring is another matter.
Go on take a swig of that poison and like it
carbon rod View Drop Down
Blenderhead
Blenderhead

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carbon rod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/27/2013 at 09:05
Originally posted by Righteous Student Righteous Student wrote:

Indeed, True North is epic.  This is precisely why it would make sense for them to call it quits and go out with their heads held high.
(directing this at the general idea, not so much the OP)
This is an alluring notion, but it doesn't really withstand scrutiny. I've never perceived any interest in "going out on top" or anything of that ilk. It seems to me BR continues to exist because BR wants to continue to exist, and really things feel loads more stable now than they did in the late 90s & early 00s. (Not to mention the continued good-to-excellence of these "late era" albums)
I also don't get the whole sports analogy or the "tarnishing their legacy" thing or whatever, because it's not like punk rock is so physically demanding as to make it difficult for a 50 year old to continue doing it at a high level. And really, no one remembers Michael Jordan on the wizards anyway.
What would make sense to me is them continuing as a band until they don't wish to continue as a band anymore, and while I am keenly aware that all things must eventually end, there's a serious lack of evidence indicating disinterest on the band's part. But what the fuck do I know.
benstunner View Drop Down
Lost Pilgrim
Lost Pilgrim

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote benstunner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/28/2013 at 01:38
Who's to say they don't play another 10 or more years?  No one really knows.  I think it's mostly up to Graffin... how long his vocal chords hold up and how much longer he actually wants to do it.  BR seems to be mostly a part time band at this point anyways.  They put out an album roughly every 3 years now (although this one came out a little sooner) and they don't tour nearly as much as they did even compared to 6 or 7 years ago.  Obviously they are closer to the end then they are the beginning (but really does anyone expect to see an 80 year old Graffin on stage singing SUFFER) but it would not shock me if we are having this same conversation in 2020.
I Dont Belong View Drop Down
Man With A Mission
Man With A Mission

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote I Dont Belong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/28/2013 at 03:33
Originally posted by benstunner benstunner wrote:

but really does anyone expect to see an 80 year old Graffin on stage singing SUFFER
Id still go.
"The Democratic Party never was, nor ever will be, a true opposition party"
I forgot my password View Drop Down
Henchman
Henchman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote I forgot my password Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/28/2013 at 03:56
Cole Slaw is gross . As for this being their swan song ....no . When the band does finally decide to hang it up I am sure they will announce a farewell tour and the such . This is not the end of BR
Overburdened, underwhelmed, their ethical decree
That's your moral compass but what good is it to me?
Jau_Peacecraft View Drop Down
The Devil In Stitches
The Devil In Stitches
Pun-tastic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jau_Peacecraft Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/28/2013 at 12:30
If True North is any indication, it could be the start of a new trilogy of kickass.  I liked the previous 3 albums, but this sounds like what they should've been making right after Process.    

Thank Eris for Pennywise making "All or Nothing" & making Brett want to do a faster album.  I'm still in awe at how well the band in general can perform still in 2013, though.  
"Well I know what's wrong & I know what's right
And I know that evil exists sure as the day turns into night"      * >:| & its variations are copyrighted by me.
jazzpunk View Drop Down
Henchman
Henchman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jazzpunk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/28/2013 at 17:11
Originally posted by I Dont Belong I Dont Belong wrote:

Originally posted by benstunner benstunner wrote:

but really does anyone expect to see an 80 year old Graffin on stage singing SUFFER
Id still go.
I second that, I would go as well.
SOLDSHORT View Drop Down
Generator
Generator
fishtank survivor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SOLDSHORT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/28/2013 at 18:39
KIDS THESE DAYS DON'T KNOW WHAT THE JAZZ IS ALL ABOUT
THIS IS NOT REALITY THIS IS NOT REALITY THIS IS NOT REALITY THIS IS NOT REALITY THIS IS NOT REALITY
RabidRabbit View Drop Down
Blenderhead
Blenderhead

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RabidRabbit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/19/2018 at 05:29
Oh, really, soldshort? Do you really feel that way? Your feelings are so important.
Harbortown View Drop Down
The Devil In Stitches
The Devil In Stitches

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Harbortown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/21/2018 at 15:49
I really hope it's not their final record. Partially because it would mean the end of a band that's been more important in my life than any other, but also because I don't regard it among their best. 

True North is probably their all time greatest song, though, and that's quite a feat for a band that's been around for 1000 million years
https://soundcloud.com/johnzackarias/
Greg Giraffin View Drop Down
Generator
Generator
Master of Puppies

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greg Giraffin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/21/2018 at 16:43
They can't give up now that the most demented shitlord in their entire career has become president

RabidRabbit View Drop Down
Blenderhead
Blenderhead

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RabidRabbit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/21/2018 at 18:47
It’s quite a tight race between all of the presidents in their career.
bound for glory View Drop Down
Hippy Killer
Hippy Killer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bound for glory Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/18/2018 at 04:27
Without Hetson...
BFY View Drop Down
Man With A Mission
Man With A Mission

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BFY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/18/2018 at 09:27
Trump will be awarded the Nobel peace price...
did greasy fingers grasp for pieces of your mind?
ivanhopl View Drop Down
Modern Man
Modern Man

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ivanhopl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/18/2018 at 15:33
Originally posted by BFY BFY wrote:

Trump will be awarded the Nobel peace price...

Together with Erdogan Orban and Kaczyński.
I'm not really here
SOLDSHORT View Drop Down
Generator
Generator
fishtank survivor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SOLDSHORT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/19/2018 at 21:47
Him and her GOT. IT. ON! Ooooooooo weeeeeeee
THIS IS NOT REALITY THIS IS NOT REALITY THIS IS NOT REALITY THIS IS NOT REALITY THIS IS NOT REALITY
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic