Forum | The Bad Religion Page - Since 1995 Official Chile Thread - The Bad Religion page forum - Page 1
Quote of the day: "We've got the American Jesus. See him on the interstate. We've got the American Jesus. He helped build the president's estate." - American Jesus
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Official Chile Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Greg Giraffin View Drop Down
Infected
Infected

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greg Giraffin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Official Chile Thread
    Posted: 05/15/2013 at 20:51
Chile peppers are awesome.

How awesome? Well sit the fuck down and learn.

• Capsaicin is the substance in chile peppers that gives them their spiciness.
  • The Scoville Scale was created to measure this spiciness, using Scoville Heat Units (SHU).
  • I'll explain how hot peppers are in terms of  Dragonball Z power levels (PWR).

Bell Peppers     0 SHU

Farmer              5 PWR

These things have almost no kick worth mentioning. They are at the bottoms of their respective scale.

Pimento, Pepperoncini     100 - 900 SHU

Child Goku                         100           PWR

Small kick. Might be a little too spicy for toddlers. But even the average person can handle them without a problem. They go on salads, subs, and stuffed inside green olives. The vinegar brine they're dipped in is often more overpowering than the tiny amount of spice they have.

Sriracha, Anaheim, Poblano     1,000 - 2,500 SHU

Radditz                                         1,500              PWR

These may look like jalapenos, but they're much weaker. Anaheim chiles are weaker decedents of the famous New Mexican green chiles. They're meaty and flavorful, but offer very low spice. Great for burritos and stews.

Tabasco sauce, Jalapeno, New Mexican Green     3,500 - 8,000 SHU

Nappa                                                                            7,000              PWR

This is about hot a lot of people (particularly in the US) can go before they start burning their mouths and assholes. People who can handle heat OVER 9,000 are starting to venture into chile lover territory.

Serrano                               10,000 - 23,000 SHU

Goku using 3x Kaio-ken   24,000                 PWR

These small, thin, crisp peppers are really fun to eat raw. Chili heads might not be able to feel any heat from these at all, but if you're new to the game, beware.

Cayenne, Tabasco                                 30,000 - 50,000 SHU

Zarbon, Freiza's top ranking General    23,000 - 55,000 PWR

10 times hotter than any Jalapeno you've ever had in your life.

Cayenne is used to make Louisiana Hot Sauce and almost all other mainstream red hot sauces, as well the crushed red pepper you often find at pizza restaurants.

BUT BE WARNED -- Do not falsely assume you can handle one of these fresh just because you use hot sauce or crushed pepper.  Peppers are hottest when they are fresh and raw. Aging and diluting peppers in vinegar (as with hot sauce) or drying them out (as with crushed pepper) will greatly reduce their spiciness. Also, those crushed red pepper packets are often blended with weaker peppers including red bell pepper in order to further reduce the heat level.

Chile Pequin, Thai Chili     50,000 - 100,000 SHU

Jeice & Burter                    95,000                  PWR
I've seen people eat these tiny little berry-like chiles raw and then recoil in agony, calling them the "hottest thing" they have ever eaten. Don't be deceived by their size.
However, many chili heads can pop these like candy. This is what I call "medium heat". Dried crushed chile pequin flakes are PERFECT to dump into a boiling pot of water to make a spicy base for ramen.

Habanero            100,000 - 350,000 SHU

Captain Ginyu    160,000                  PWR

These suckers have a LOT of range in terms of heat.
A mild habanero might only give a slight burn you can easily walk away from, a potent specimen can FUCK YOUR SHIT IN and have you chugging milk over the sink.

Even if you're a chile head, you should be careful around these. Keep away from ALL children.

I love to eat these fresh and raw, because they have a sweet fruity flavor. If you mix a couple of these into a salsa, they should pose little threat.

Red Savina Habanero                  350,000 - 580,000 SHU

Freiza first form fully powered    530,000                    PWR

Congratulations! You just ate a fresh, raw Red Savina! Are you a chilehead?

No? Oh fuck, son. I hope you have a full gallon of milk nearby, a tub of ice cream, and a clean bathroom, because you're going to be spending the next 30 minutes to an hour exploding from both ends of your body. Just make sure not to touch your eyes or you'll be extra fucked.
Yes? These are the beginning of the "Ultra Hots" category . Even being a chile head may not be enough to save you.

Infinity Chili, Ghost Pepper     1,000,000 SHU

Freiza third form                        1,100,000 PWR

OVER 1 MILLION SCOVILLE HEAT UNITS!

Until a couple years ago, these varieties were both in the The Guinness Book of World Records for being the world's hottest chilis.

If you are not a chili head, do not let anyone trick you into even looking at this motherfucking demon seed. If you are a chili head, you'll obviously want to try this, but you're gonna be hurting.
Ghost pepper salsa is delicious and is the perfect heat for a salsa.

Watch some people try it out!

Whiny frat bro

Hilarious black dude

Two chicks

Trinidad Moruga Scorpion       2,009,231 SHU

Freiza final form                         2,000,000 PWR

Currently ranked as the world's hottest pepper. This has the same amount of heat that law enforcement grade pepper spray uses to disable criminals, and bear spray uses to stop giant wild murderous beasts in their tracks.

This chile will most likely destroy you no matter who you are, with very rare exception. It'll make people around you cry when your hot breath hits their eyes. Your own breath will feel like a hot blow drier going into your throat and lungs. Your saliva will feel like a thousand stabbing needles made of lava. You may be convinced someone is raising with the thermostat, even if you're by yourself. You will enter a forced state of painful meditation where you are basically trying to keep your sanity under the extreme pain. You will probably feel like you're going to die. You may end up calling an ambulance. God speed, dumbass. You can buy a bag of Trinidad Moruga Scorpions here and see if I'm lying.

Pure Capsaicin crystals     16,000,000 SHU

Super Saiyan Trunks        15,000,000 PWR

16 Million SHU! This is as hot as capsaicin based spiciness can get, because this is the pure form of the chemical. Pure capsaicin crystals extracted from chiles is now illegal to sell in some places. It is very dangerous. Unless you are a trained professional, keep away from this shit. Even then, you probably want to keep away from this shit. Though that doesn't stop some people...

DON'T EVER DO THIS. THIS CAN KILL YOU.

Resiniferatoxin                   16,000,000,000 SHU

Super Saiyan 4 Gogeta       1,500,000,000 PWR
16 Billion Motherfucking SHU. This shit is beyond dangerous. Hell, there's not even Dragon Ball equivalent for it in the same order of magnitude. If you combined the power levels of every hero and villain in the Dragon Ball Universe, that still wouldn't be enough power to explain how spicy this stuff is.

It's a naturally occurring capsaicin analog that is 1,000 times more potent than pure capsaicin.

This shit is so spicy that even microscopic amounts of it will instantly and completely stop your ability to feel anything ever again in the area it contacts. In extreme cases, doctors can inject very dilute concentrations into damaged nerve tissue to stop pain (and feeling) forever in the injection site.

Source for DBZ power levels
Source for SHU

Edited by Greg Giraffin - 01/02/2014 at 18:35
͠Listen to my Chillest Downtempo Mix
frod79 View Drop Down
Generator
Generator
Frod Almighty

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frod79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/15/2013 at 20:59
I like to throw on Chipotle Chile pepper on most anything when given the chance...
basically I like anything in the SHU range OVER 9000!!!!
"Some claim there was no great shoeman in the sky, others say the answer won't be known until the other shoe drops" - Al Bundy
Infected
Infected

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greg Giraffin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/15/2013 at 21:04
For those who don't know, Chipotle is smoked pepper. Often Jalapeno but not always.

SPORK View Drop Down
Billy Gnosis
Billy Gnosis

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SPORK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/15/2013 at 21:17
thanks Alton brown. very interesting info
Here's the straight and narrow
Brought my wheelbarrow
And it's filled with the lies and the dirt and the hurt
But I won't need someone to let me be
jazzpunk View Drop Down
Henchman
Henchman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jazzpunk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/15/2013 at 21:25
That last one, Goku Super Sayian God (in the new Battle of the Gods move)
The un-examined life is not worth living -Socrates-
SOLDSHORT View Drop Down
Generator
Generator
fishtank survivor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SOLDSHORT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/15/2013 at 22:52
Finally
THIS IS NOT REALITY THIS IS NOT REALITY THIS IS NOT REALITY THIS IS NOT REALITY THIS IS NOT REALITY
brdanne View Drop Down
Billy Gnosis
Billy Gnosis

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brdanne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/16/2013 at 00:10
http://www.chilepepper.com/
Through the darkness of future past, The magician longs to see, One chance out between two worlds: Fire walk with me.
Robo Pilgrim View Drop Down
Generator
Generator
linkage robot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robo Pilgrim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/16/2013 at 03:38
I was expecting this to be about the country.
I'm The Greatest™
ocotes View Drop Down
Blenderhead
Blenderhead

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ocotes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/16/2013 at 04:26
ocotes View Drop Down
Blenderhead
Blenderhead

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ocotes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/16/2013 at 04:27
that's my limit
excellent sauce 
Infected
Infected

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greg Giraffin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/16/2013 at 05:08
Know the SHU on that yellow stuff? Looks tasty.

Btw, Few more chili facts i forgot to mention:

1. It is possible to build a tolerance to capsaicin by frequent repeated exposure and by pushing your limits. If you never burn yourself you'll never be able to stand the heat. Also, you can lose tolerance pretty fast if you don't maintain it. In personal experience a month without eating chile can easily reset your tolerance by 75%

2. Chile can cause endorphin rushes that are pretty addicting and create pretty intense states of euphoria.

3. If you want to stop the burn, stay the fuck away from water and soda or other carbonated drinks or pretty much any non-dairy drink. Drinking water is the most common rookie mistake ever. They help for a moment but actually intensify the burn! Not a big problem when youre dealing with jalapeno, but not a mistake to make when dealing with ultra hots. Instead, consume dairy including milk, ice cream, or yogurt. Most non-dairy remedies are bullshit.

Edited by Greg Giraffin - 05/16/2013 at 05:16
Robo Pilgrim View Drop Down
Generator
Generator
linkage robot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robo Pilgrim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/16/2013 at 06:02
Dairy works because the lactose acts as a detergent and breaks down the oils.
I'm The Greatest™
frod79 View Drop Down
Generator
Generator
Frod Almighty

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frod79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/16/2013 at 08:39
Chile looks like a chile

"Some claim there was no great shoeman in the sky, others say the answer won't be known until the other shoe drops" - Al Bundy
Infected
Infected

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greg Giraffin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/16/2013 at 09:02
No one cares about Mexican countries
barrelman View Drop Down
Blenderhead
Blenderhead

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote barrelman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/16/2013 at 10:57
Ive eaten a ghost chilli
it was quite fun, fairly hot. I wanna eat the one where freeza is in his final form
Infected
Infected

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greg Giraffin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/16/2013 at 12:00
You're crazy. Just make sure to film it
jazzpunk View Drop Down
Henchman
Henchman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote jazzpunk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/16/2013 at 20:16
Oh, and using DBZ characters was clever as hell.
The un-examined life is not worth living -Socrates-
SPORK View Drop Down
Billy Gnosis
Billy Gnosis

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SPORK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/16/2013 at 20:38
thread of the year!!
Here's the straight and narrow
Brought my wheelbarrow
And it's filled with the lies and the dirt and the hurt
But I won't need someone to let me be
Infected
Infected

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greg Giraffin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/23/2013 at 18:40
Just had some Franks Red Hot for the first time.

Now I know why it's so popular... It has to be the mildest sauce on the market...
Recard86 View Drop Down
Man With A Mission
Man With A Mission

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Recard86 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/26/2013 at 09:52
http://imgur.com/jySX5nO This is the Official Chile  

Edited by Recard86 - 06/26/2013 at 10:08
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic