Forum | The Bad Religion Page - Since 1995 Favorite BR record production - The Bad Religion page forum - Page 2
Quote of the day: "If your soul needs love you can always have my pity." - Faith Alone
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Favorite BR record production

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
coop View Drop Down
Billy Gnosis
Billy Gnosis
woman finnisher

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/06/2019 at 07:39
Originally posted by Harbortown Harbortown wrote:

Originally posted by coop coop wrote:

Gray race

how

I don't know, somehow it sounds not so "tighly packed" as some other albums. There seems to be air between the things. You know. Space for your imagination to roam.
n1ckb0n3z View Drop Down
Universal Cynic
Universal Cynic
Bass boss but still a n00b

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n1ckb0n3z Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/06/2019 at 09:16

Originally posted by Harbortown Harbortown wrote:

Gray race

how

I don't know, somehow it sounds not so "tighly packed" as some other albums. There seems to be air between the things. You know. Space for your imagination to roam.

Yes! This! You explained my feelings about it so well. 
I want BR to play Anesthesia in every language at every country they go to.
Joe1553 View Drop Down
Incomplete
Incomplete

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe1553 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/06/2019 at 10:42
I agree! TGR was always one of my favourite sounding BR albums. It’s very bright sounding, which I feel suits BR better than the production of STF. STF always felt too grungy to me for a Bad Religion album. I feel TGR is the best sounding of the Atlantic albums by far.

All-in-all my favourite sounding albums would be NC, ATG, TGR , TPOB and TSEF. I really hate the production of the last three albums, I can’t listen to them for more than five minutes....just brutal on the ears.
Marty View Drop Down
Admin
Admin
I'm with her

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/06/2019 at 11:05
I just realized that I don't even know who produced the new record. The previous 3 were produced by Baressi.

According to Wikipedia the new one is produced by Carlos de la Garza. Normally another producer should shake things up a bit and makes things interesting (think The Gray Race).. but the songs so far sound pretty much like True North.
Chainofslowdecay View Drop Down
Lost Pilgrim
Lost Pilgrim

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chainofslowdecay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/06/2019 at 11:36
I think The Gray Race and No Substance sound good. Albeit in a more compressed, rock way. Some of that is Baker, but a lot of it is production. Honestly of the newer (yeah I'm getting old) albums, TPOB has my least favorite production. Great songs, but the guitars are a little too low in the mix and the vocals too high in the mix for me. TESF is interesting and different. From New Maps to True North they all sound the same. 
coop View Drop Down
Billy Gnosis
Billy Gnosis
woman finnisher

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/06/2019 at 11:42
Dissent sounds good too.
tr3 View Drop Down
Incomplete
Incomplete

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tr3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/06/2019 at 12:31
1) No Control (by several miles)
2) Recipe
3) Suffer

Tied for last: 'New America' and 'Against the Grain'
Warstub View Drop Down
The Same Person
The Same Person
Biggest brpage Tool... Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Warstub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/06/2019 at 15:48
1. The Grey Race: pristine silky smooth clarity,
2. Recipe for Hate: lots of clarity between instruments,
3. The Process of Belief: does still sound good despite being too loud
http://warstub.weebly.com/novels.html
Nothing can bring a person into adulthood except their own sense of self and the personal responsibility that accompanies that.
Mediocre Mind View Drop Down
Blenderhead
Blenderhead

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mediocre Mind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/07/2019 at 00:02

Gray race

Same
Bad Brett View Drop Down
Henchman
Henchman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bad Brett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/07/2019 at 01:05
The New America. Really. Empire is number two and Process number 3. Recipe number 4.
Kedal View Drop Down
Incomplete
Incomplete

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kedal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/07/2019 at 01:43
Stranger Than Fiction
Metmass View Drop Down
The Devil In Stitches
The Devil In Stitches

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Metmass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/07/2019 at 10:03
Originally posted by Marty Marty wrote:

I just realized that I don't even know who produced the new record. The previous 3 were produced by Baressi.

According to Wikipedia the new one is produced by Carlos de la Garza. Normally another producer should shake things up a bit and makes things interesting (think The Gray Race).. but the songs so far sound pretty much like True North.

Baressi actually mixed every studio album since Empire, including Christmas Songs, so if counted based on this, that would be 4/5 (4 and a half?) records :)
Marty View Drop Down
Admin
Admin
I'm with her

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/07/2019 at 10:11
Originally posted by Metmass Metmass wrote:

Originally posted by Marty Marty wrote:

Baressi actually mixed every studio album since Empire, including Christmas Songs, so if counted based on this, that would be 4/5 (4 and a half?) records :)

3 and a half actually:
- New Maps
- Dissent of Man
- True North
(- Christmas Songs)

The Empire was produced by Brett and Greg.
Metmass View Drop Down
The Devil In Stitches
The Devil In Stitches

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Metmass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/08/2019 at 03:22
Alright :) I'm just saying that he still mixed that record, so even if he was not in control of the whole direction the band was taking while recording, he shaped the sound later. That's why I would still count it as contribution to the production.

So Age of Unreason is the first record since Process where Baressi did not contribute in any way, so I'm very eager to hear the whole thing.
Metmass View Drop Down
The Devil In Stitches
The Devil In Stitches

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Metmass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/08/2019 at 03:32
Originally posted by Chainofslowdecay Chainofslowdecay wrote:

Honestly of the newer (yeah I'm getting old) albums, TPOB has my least favorite production. Great songs, but the guitars are a little too low in the mix and the vocals too high in the mix for me.

That's interesting, for many years I always LOVED the sound of TPOB, it seemed just perfect to me. I haven't listened to it in a while though and after your post I re-visited it just now. I still like it, I like it a lot... but on most of the record the vocals are WAY too loud for my taste.

It's funny how perception changes with age and with experience. I only became more interested in sound mixing in the last couple of years and now I get to re-evaluate every single album I have ever liked or disliked.

Oh and to the other posts here, The Gray Race does have a wonderful feeling of space in the mix, it's way different than the previous records but I like it a lot. I can see why Brett hated it though.
coop View Drop Down
Billy Gnosis
Billy Gnosis
woman finnisher

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/08/2019 at 04:23
I think if brett would have still been in the band during tgr, and the album had that sound it has, brett would have had his perfect pop song on it.
Metmass View Drop Down
The Devil In Stitches
The Devil In Stitches

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Metmass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/08/2019 at 07:51
I think you're right! I believe his stuff would have also sounded great on NS.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic