Forum | The Bad Religion Page - Since 1995 Is rock music dead? - The Bad Religion page forum - Page 1
Quote of the day: "What they call straight I do relegate as I cautiously saltate along." - Forbidden Beat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Is rock music dead?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Rockthekasba View Drop Down
Incomplete
Incomplete

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockthekasba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Is rock music dead?
    Posted: 07/08/2018 at 22:20
So I did some research as I might be dabbling into the world of music production and playing digital piano but to my surprise, none of the recording schools out there offer any rock specific course. By the way, these are the same companies who are now creating scheduling software for crying out loud just to stay in business. Heck some are even running private hair transplant schools just to make a profit (Are you kidding me!). 

They have EDM, hip hop and other sub genres of these music types (Like making 808s, trap music beats, etc)

However, NONE for rock!

WTFrick is this? I'll pay extra heck charge my credit card now if you have to.

Is rock music officially dead?

They are not even teaching how to mix it in professional audio schools now. No matter how much you pay them.

Edited by Rockthekasba - 09/07/2019 at 00:34
Warstub View Drop Down
The Same Person
The Same Person
Biggest brpage Tool... Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Warstub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/09/2018 at 00:30
interesting. Well rock music's certainly not dead but it's sort of not mainstream anymore. That might be a reason why it's not getting taught. Also I wonder if rock music recording hasn't really evolved in any way - guitars left and right bass and kick up the middle. In terms of Engineering there's a lot to be said for microphone placement especially with regards to amps and using different microphones.
http://warstub.weebly.com/novels.html
Nothing can bring a person into adulthood except their own sense of self and the personal responsibility that accompanies that.
nropevolI View Drop Down
Infected
Infected
pr0n Jeremy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nropevolI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/09/2018 at 01:40
I hope rock's dead. I remember boring 80s/90s rock like guns n roses, pearl jam, live, bon jovi. I think it died in 2000 when MTV called limp bizkit rock music.
Everything from the 90s and 00s that was interesting was never just "rock".
coop View Drop Down
Infected
Infected
woman finnisher

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote coop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/09/2018 at 02:31
At least you remember them.
-Fatal- Apocalypse View Drop Down
Infected
Infected
Hail!raiser

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote -Fatal- Apocalypse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/13/2018 at 19:41

The ear is something that trains, not is teached
*I Remember The Future.*
Warstub View Drop Down
The Same Person
The Same Person

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Warstub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/14/2018 at 01:46
the best rock from 2000s onwards has been hard rock Queens of the Stone Age, and they add a bit of Funk and groove to make it interesting. Foo Fighters got boring, Shellac lost their edge, Tool aren't around enough. There's really no innovation in rock music anymore. That pretty much began with the Beatles and ended with ... Frank Zappa? Prog is great for what it does, but it's probably leveled out in some ways.

It's probably worth looking at how Steve Albini records, and compare that with overproduced albums or highly compressed albums. I guess Robert Mutt Lange would also be interesting to look at. Def Leppard's album Hysteria still sounds amazing to me.
Nothing can bring a person into adulthood except their own sense of self and the personal responsibility that accompanies that.
coop View Drop Down
Infected
Infected
woman finnisher

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/14/2018 at 03:09
Ghost
BFY View Drop Down
Staff
Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BFY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/14/2018 at 03:46
yes
Deaf, dumb, and blind, you just keep on pretending
vampailleur View Drop Down
Henchman
Henchman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vampailleur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/14/2018 at 04:44
Infected
Infected
Hail!raiser

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote -Fatal- Apocalypse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/14/2018 at 07:44

Oh and I guess The Killers is too jolly and unshamefully successfull to be considered rock ?

Hypocrits
*I Remember The Future.*
coop View Drop Down
Infected
Infected
woman finnisher

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/14/2018 at 08:00
The killers is bit boring.
coop View Drop Down
Infected
Infected
woman finnisher

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/14/2018 at 08:04
And it is not just rock music that has died. Music itself has died or is dying.
Infected
Infected
Hail!raiser

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote -Fatal- Apocalypse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/14/2018 at 15:52

In a commercial and touring level yes that's more accurate. But some subgenres are blooming niches with the net and it's beautiful.
*I Remember The Future.*
Warstub View Drop Down
The Same Person
The Same Person

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Warstub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/14/2018 at 16:08
Originally posted by -Fatal- Apocalypse -Fatal- Apocalypse wrote:

In a commercial and touring level yes that's more accurate. But some subgenres are blooming niches with the net and it's beautiful.
Commercial, yes, but not touring - rock bands are at their most successful on the touring circuit. In fact, isn't that where they make their money - from ticket and merchandise, not album sales? I remember during the aftermath of Grunge, around the 2000s, journos were asking where all the Hair Metal bands went. There were a whole bunch of them still living off doing gigs like how they started because the fans still wanted to see go and see them. I expect the exact same thing has happened to Alternative and Hard Rock. Helmet still tour successfully, Bloc Party, We Were Promised Jetpacks, Bad Religion et al... That Vice article was interesting, but it only really talks about the charts and mainstream success. A lot of rock bands avoid releasing their most chart-worthy songs just to avoid mainstream attention.
Infected
Infected
Hail!raiser

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote -Fatal- Apocalypse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/16/2018 at 17:51

I wouldn't consider those type of touring bands to be a sign of longevity success, but more like a pityful way to keep an illusion afloat.
*I Remember The Future.*
susu.exp View Drop Down
The Devil In Stitches
The Devil In Stitches

Carrier of the Smartest Member Award

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote susu.exp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/27/2018 at 14:49
a) A lot of skills you need to record and mix rock transfer to a lot of genres - whereever you need to record a live drum kit, no matter whether that's Rock or Jazz or Pop or any other genre that features live drums, you can apply the same principles of minimizing bleed and making sure everything is in phase. Heck, a lot of these apply to any kind of music where you record multiple intruments in the same room at the same time (say a string quartet would still take these skills).
b) The same isn't neccesarily  true for genres such as EDM where you will be programming drums and synths or HipHop where you will often work with samples extensively.
c) Most recording schools do include some form of rock production in their curriculum, even if that's not the name of the course. Since you are based in Canada according to your profile, check OIART for instance, where the curriculum includes recording a number of bands.
d) It's become harder to work as an engineer for rock music, as studio technology has become cheaper and recording budgets for bands have decreased as streaming takes over as the most dominant form of music consumption. I have friends who have degrees in audio production and none of them does record classic 4-5 piece rock bands. That market is both super competitive while paying relatively little. Even studios with big names are going under and starting up a new one means you need to invest a lot of money to be able to offer what other studios have. Doing audio for film productions, recording classical orchestras, cutting audio for radio documentaries. That's the type of job that people actually hire audio engineers for (and of course FOH at events). People do acquire very specialized equipment to do these things well. But most drummers can pick up a couple of SM57s and if their room doesn't suck too bad, you are live for the hardest bit of rock production.
e) Yea, rock has been dying for ages. Jazz stopped being the dominant pop music when Bebop became the dominant form of Jazz, increasing musical expressivity and complexity, but making the music less suitable to dancing. That's the place Rock could enter the mainstream, as dance music. But with Pet sounds and Sgt Pepper, Rock too moved toward more expressivity and complexity, opening up the same hole for something new as Jazz. And that's where Disco stepped in and also where Punk happened (slam dancing is still dancing). But then in the 80s Rock hung on by the power ballard (at least suitable for slow dances) as HipHop and electric Funk could rise to prominence (and the return of Disco in the form of HiEnergy pop also happened at that time). The 90s got Punk back, but afterwards we are back at prog stuff. - Radiohead isn't made to be danced to. And so we still have HipHop (though arguably trap is just HipHops way of starting to smell funny. Yea, let's have slow Tempi and polyrhythmic HiHat patterns...) and EDM (though quite a substantial portion of that should consider getting rid of the D). If you are 14 you don't want music to sit still to. But eventually musicians outgrow simplistic dance music and want to make "serious art", which means the audience better stop moving around so much. And then you lose the next generation.
f) There is still hope. Punk delayed the demise of the electric guitar for 2 decades. Give me a band that can sell 3 chords to young teenagers. Heck, maybe add some electronica and dubstep stuff. And, while you're at it, make it a japanese Girlgroup. Seriously, the band is called Passcode and I haven't been as excited about new music as I'm about them since I was about 16. If you liked the shape of punk to come by the refused, this is the band that took it from there and now makes the shape of punk that is.

susu - "100,000 years ago, another great asteroid hit Earth, this time in Africa. That asteroid is named Homo sapiens."
DaymanVersusNightman View Drop Down
Automatic Man
Automatic Man

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaymanVersusNightman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/28/2018 at 06:01
Ghost is trash
coop View Drop Down
Infected
Infected
woman finnisher

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/28/2018 at 16:05
No
coop View Drop Down
Infected
Infected
woman finnisher

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/28/2018 at 16:06
Anthrax is trash
brdanne View Drop Down
Billy Gnosis
Billy Gnosis

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brdanne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/28/2018 at 23:27
Anthrax is thrash
Through the darkness of future past, The magician longs to see, One chance out between two worlds: Fire walk with me.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic