Forum | The Bad Religion Page - Since 1995 Is rock music dead? - The Bad Religion page forum
Quote of the day: "In this land of competition the compassion is gone" - Punk Rock Song
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Is rock music dead?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Rockthekasba View Drop Down
Incomplete
Incomplete

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockthekasba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Is rock music dead?
    Posted: 07/08/2018 at 22:20
So I did some research as I might be dabbling into the world of music production and audio engineering but to my surprise, none of the recording schools out there offer any rock specific course.

They have EDM, hip hop and other sub genres of these music types.

However, NONE for rock!

WTFrick is this?

Is rock music officially dead?

They are not even teaching how to mix it in professional audio schools now.
Warstub View Drop Down
The Same Person
The Same Person
Biggest brpage Tool... Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Warstub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/09/2018 at 00:30
interesting. Well rock music's certainly not dead but it's sort of not mainstream anymore. That might be a reason why it's not getting taught. Also I wonder if rock music recording hasn't really evolved in any way - guitars left and right bass and kick up the middle. In terms of Engineering there's a lot to be said for microphone placement especially with regards to amps and using different microphones.
http://warstub.weebly.com/novels.html
Nothing can bring a person into adulthood except their own sense of self and the personal responsibility that accompanies that.
nropevolI View Drop Down
Infected
Infected
pr0n Jeremy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nropevolI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/09/2018 at 01:40
I hope rock's dead. I remember boring 80s/90s rock like guns n roses, pearl jam, live, bon jovi. I think it died in 2000 when MTV called limp bizkit rock music.
Everything from the 90s and 00s that was interesting was never just "rock".
coop View Drop Down
Billy Gnosis
Billy Gnosis
woman finnisher

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/09/2018 at 02:31
At least you remember them.
-Fatal- Apocalypse View Drop Down
Infected
Infected
Hail!raiser

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote -Fatal- Apocalypse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/13/2018 at 19:41

The ear is something that trains, not is teached
*I Remember The Future.*
Warstub View Drop Down
The Same Person
The Same Person

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Warstub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Yesterday at 01:46
the best rock from 2000s onwards has been hard rock Queens of the Stone Age, and they add a bit of Funk and groove to make it interesting. Foo Fighters got boring, Shellac lost their edge, Tool aren't around enough. There's really no innovation in rock music anymore. That pretty much began with the Beatles and ended with ... Frank Zappa? Prog is great for what it does, but it's probably leveled out in some ways.

It's probably worth looking at how Steve Albini records, and compare that with overproduced albums or highly compressed albums. I guess Robert Mutt Lange would also be interesting to look at. Def Leppard's album Hysteria still sounds amazing to me.
Nothing can bring a person into adulthood except their own sense of self and the personal responsibility that accompanies that.
coop View Drop Down
Billy Gnosis
Billy Gnosis
woman finnisher

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Yesterday at 03:09
Ghost
BFY View Drop Down
Man With A Mission
Man With A Mission

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BFY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Yesterday at 03:46
yes
did greasy fingers grasp for pieces of your mind?
vampailleur View Drop Down
Henchman
Henchman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vampailleur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Yesterday at 04:44
Infected
Infected
Hail!raiser

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote -Fatal- Apocalypse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Yesterday at 07:44

Oh and I guess The Killers is too jolly and unshamefully successfull to be considered rock ?

Hypocrits
*I Remember The Future.*
coop View Drop Down
Billy Gnosis
Billy Gnosis
woman finnisher

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Yesterday at 08:00
The killers is bit boring.
coop View Drop Down
Billy Gnosis
Billy Gnosis
woman finnisher

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Yesterday at 08:04
And it is not just rock music that has died. Music itself has died or is dying.
Infected
Infected
Hail!raiser

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote -Fatal- Apocalypse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Yesterday at 15:52

In a commercial and touring level yes that's more accurate. But some subgenres are blooming niches with the net and it's beautiful.
*I Remember The Future.*
Warstub View Drop Down
The Same Person
The Same Person

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Warstub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Yesterday at 16:08
Originally posted by -Fatal- Apocalypse -Fatal- Apocalypse wrote:

In a commercial and touring level yes that's more accurate. But some subgenres are blooming niches with the net and it's beautiful.
Commercial, yes, but not touring - rock bands are at their most successful on the touring circuit. In fact, isn't that where they make their money - from ticket and merchandise, not album sales? I remember during the aftermath of Grunge, around the 2000s, journos were asking where all the Hair Metal bands went. There were a whole bunch of them still living off doing gigs like how they started because the fans still wanted to see go and see them. I expect the exact same thing has happened to Alternative and Hard Rock. Helmet still tour successfully, Bloc Party, We Were Promised Jetpacks, Bad Religion et al... That Vice article was interesting, but it only really talks about the charts and mainstream success. A lot of rock bands avoid releasing their most chart-worthy songs just to avoid mainstream attention.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic