Forum | The Bad Religion Page - Since 1995 Age of Unreason - new album out May 3, 2019 - The Bad Religion page forum - Page 6
Quote of the day: "Happy and content it can't happen to you. Fifteen years we'll think of a solution. It won't just appear in one day. For ten in twenty-ten we're well on our way" - Ten In 2010
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Age of Unreason - new album out May 3, 2019

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678>
Author
Harbortown View Drop Down
The Devil In Stitches
The Devil In Stitches

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Harbortown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/13/2019 at 01:57
Doesn't beat that one time when I saw Bon Iver and a lady literally pointed the middle finger and booed at the band when they wouldn't play Skinny Love and Flume (their breakthrough "hits" if you will) right away, man that was a trip
https://soundcloud.com/johnzackarias/
Joe1553 View Drop Down
Incomplete
Incomplete

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe1553 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/13/2019 at 08:28
I wouldn’t be concerned about this at all. Pretty much every song on Against the Grain is well under 3 minutes including Anesthesia if you exclude the outro instrumental. Some of their best post POB stuff was under 3 minutes (like Sinister Rouge). Some of BR’s most realized songs don’t make it to 3 minutes, they just feel like they do. The problem (at least for me) with some of their shorter songs the last 10 years has been that they seemed hastily written without any parts that define them. If Chaos from Within is anything to go by, I wouldn’t be too concerned with track length.
Robo Pilgrim View Drop Down
Generator
Generator
linkage robot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robo Pilgrim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/13/2019 at 10:27
Originally posted by coop coop wrote:

Bad Religion fans are stupids.

Just the worst.
Go on take a swig of that poison and like it
loggamatt View Drop Down
Blenderhead
Blenderhead

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote loggamatt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/13/2019 at 15:40
I'm apprehensive too... I think the way that everyone (including me) went nuts about how good True North was sent the wrong message to the band that this is the formula they have to repeat. But my overall impression of True North over time has been that it was initially fun, but didn't keep my attention for as long as most other Bad Religion albums. A lot of songs are fast and bouncy, but superficial. A good Bad Religion album needs a few slower, melodically deep songs for balance. Looks like this album won't have many/any... :-/
Chainofslowdecay View Drop Down
Lost Pilgrim
Lost Pilgrim

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chainofslowdecay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/13/2019 at 18:40
Originally posted by Joe1553 Joe1553 wrote:

The problem (at least for me) with some of their shorter songs the last 10 years has been that they seemed hastily written without any parts that define them. If Chaos from Within is anything to go by, I wouldn’t be too concerned with track length.

You are right on here. From New Maps to True North, the short songs are really generic HC punk structures. Like Vanity for example. I feel like they said "well we have this long slow song called Hello Cruel World, so we should put a real fast short one after it" so someone wrote a verse and chorus in five minutes and Vanity was born. The short songs were the least memorable on those albums IMO.

On older albums length wasn't an issue because nearly all the songs were quality regardless. 

fformenti View Drop Down
Incomplete
Incomplete

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fformenti Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/14/2019 at 13:09
The Island is 1:28 long, has no clear structure or formula, the lyrics are amazing and just sounds fucking awesome,I can even dance to that shit. The second shortest song out of the album and probably my favorite. 
It's like a Suffer track but better
loggamatt View Drop Down
Blenderhead
Blenderhead

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote loggamatt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/14/2019 at 16:12
Originally posted by fformenti fformenti wrote:

The Island is 1:28 long, has no clear structure or formula, the lyrics are amazing and just sounds fucking awesome,I can even dance to that shit. The second shortest song out of the album and probably my favorite. 

See, that’s one of my least favourite songs. Some fans just like the fast, short songs and some like the longer, more complex songs. Most BR albums have a mix, and there’s something for everyone. But it seems like now they’re just going to all short, fast songs. Which is a shame.
Bad_Brett View Drop Down
Blenderhead
Blenderhead

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bad_Brett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/14/2019 at 20:49
Originally posted by fformenti fformenti wrote:

Well it is a Suffer track and it's called "When?". Enough said.

Anyhow, Suffer was released 31 years ago. One would expect some kind of musical and lyrical progress since then. Don't get me wrong, I love those albums to death and I'm very excited about the No Control set. But what really sets them apart from other punk bands, is the work they did from Recipe for Hate and on. 

Man with a Mission - Punk with pedal steel
All Good Soldiers - Perhaps the weirdest punk song ever, if it even can be considered punk.
Stranger Than Fiction -  To be fair, it's just 2:20, but it's pretty much perfect
Sorrow - That intro is instantly recognizable 
Let Them Eat War - Punk with rap 

I really hope that they bring something new to the table. Dharma and the Bomb was okay, but I think Brett can do much better. 

coop View Drop Down
Billy Gnosis
Billy Gnosis
woman finnisher

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/14/2019 at 23:25
Empire is, in my opinion, perfect mix of short and not so short songs. I don't remember the lenghts on dissent, but that to my memory is another good package so to speak.
Priesterseminar View Drop Down
Billy Gnosis
Billy Gnosis

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Priesterseminar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/15/2019 at 02:13
Originally posted by loggamatt loggamatt wrote:

I think the way that everyone (including me) went nuts about how good True North was sent the wrong message to the band

you think they are reading this and actually adapt their style to please our opinion? i sure hope they dont!

or do you think they dropped TKAAR just because of some bitching on this forum??
"with nothing better to do"
coop View Drop Down
Billy Gnosis
Billy Gnosis
woman finnisher

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/15/2019 at 03:34
Well, we know that brett is lurking here, so...
McClane View Drop Down
Henchman
Henchman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McClane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/15/2019 at 05:40
No leak yet...
Get me out of here, someone’s got to save the day! - Pride and the Pallor
loggamatt View Drop Down
Blenderhead
Blenderhead

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote loggamatt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/15/2019 at 17:21
Originally posted by Priesterseminar Priesterseminar wrote:

Originally posted by loggamatt loggamatt wrote:

I think the way that everyone (including me) went nuts about how good True North was sent the wrong message to the band

you think they are reading this and actually adapt their style to please our opinion? i sure hope they dont!

or do you think they dropped TKAAR just because of some bitching on this forum??

Do I think that the members of Bad Religion take a look now and then at the only website devoted to them? Uh... well, yeah. Duh. If you had a web forum devoted to talking about you, you wouldn't be tempted to at least glance at it? Must be nice to live in your ego free world... haha
Billy Gnosis
Billy Gnosis

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Priesterseminar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/16/2019 at 00:01
I wasnt belittling this site at all.. dont remember when its been the last time i checked badreligion.com.. like ever?

Just sayin an artist would follow his/her Vision and notsome trendig fan opinions..

coop View Drop Down
Billy Gnosis
Billy Gnosis
woman finnisher

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/16/2019 at 01:04
Artist yeah, but what about businessman?
Billy Gnosis
Billy Gnosis

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Priesterseminar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/16/2019 at 01:14
Guess there are more relying tools for market research than Browsing through a Message Board.. but what do i know about Business??

Plus a still consider them artists ;)
coop View Drop Down
Billy Gnosis
Billy Gnosis
woman finnisher

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/16/2019 at 05:40
Yeah, i hope it wasn't because of us. That would be lame.
loggamatt View Drop Down
Blenderhead
Blenderhead

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote loggamatt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/16/2019 at 06:05
When True North came out all the fans went nuts, and the reviews were great. Of course a band is going to say "oh, cool... we got it right this time! Yay us!" Bad Religion write pop songs, it's not like they're some avant garde prog band with an obscure 'musical vision.' They want to write pop-punk songs that people enjoy. When they release an album and see people enjoying it, they're going to think "lets try to get close to that winning formula next time too!"

My issue - as someone who also went nuts when True North came out - is that actually, over time, I realised that True North doesn't have the longevity of some other albums. I actually prefer Dissent of Man because it has more variation and holds my interest longer. Bad Religion always seem to go on this fast albums -> slower albums -> fast albums -> slower albums cycle over time though. Seems like this will be another True North style fast album, so I just hope they have enough albums left in them that I hear some new slower material before they retire. I've heard 'the new Suffer' enough times now... I want to hear 'the new Recipe For Hate' also!!
n1ckb0n3z View Drop Down
Universal Cynic
Universal Cynic
Bass boss but still a n00b

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n1ckb0n3z Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/16/2019 at 07:44
No Control has a lot of short songs. So does Age of Reason. Nuff Said.  
I want BR to play Anesthesia in every language at every country they go to.
n1ckb0n3z View Drop Down
Universal Cynic
Universal Cynic
Bass boss but still a n00b

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n1ckb0n3z Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/16/2019 at 07:46
Originally posted by Bad Brett Bad Brett wrote:

Only one song over 3 minutes? That doesn't sound promising.

TPoB had 5 (7 if i you count the B-sides) and TESF had 6. I think it's the mixture of fast-paced and mid-paced songs that makes those albums so great.

What about No Control though. No songs are over 3 minutes on the album. 
I want BR to play Anesthesia in every language at every country they go to.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678>
  Share Topic