Forum | The Bad Religion Page - Since 1995 Age of Unreason - new album out May 3, 2019 - The Bad Religion page forum - Page 23
Quote of the day: "What goes around always comes around" - Big Bang
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Age of Unreason - new album out May 3, 2019

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2122232425>
Author
simian View Drop Down
Infected
Infected

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote simian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/13/2019 at 21:34
Why's he being referred to as Tim?
“As stupid and vicious as men are, this is a lovely day.”
― Kurt Vonnegut, Cat's Cradle
coop View Drop Down
Infected
Infected
woman finnisher

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/13/2019 at 21:59
Because of good old times.
Harbortown View Drop Down
The Devil In Stitches
The Devil In Stitches

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Harbortown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/13/2019 at 23:28
Originally posted by Chainofslowdecay Chainofslowdecay wrote:

Brooks, Bobby, and Pete all largely played a variation of 1  1-2  1  1-2 on the bass drum. 

Jamie plays 1  1-2  1  1  1  1-2  1   1 

Not a huge deal, but kind of a regression from the other guys, and lacks a little of that "gallop" you are accustomed to hearing in a BR song since it skips a gallop. 

Overall Jamie is solid, but this kinda sticks in my craw, as they say.
I don't exactly follow, could you show me specific examples?

I've always thought Brooks is the drummer who started straying away from the gallop beat.
https://soundcloud.com/johnzackarias/
Priesterseminar View Drop Down
Billy Gnosis
Billy Gnosis

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Priesterseminar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/14/2019 at 01:32
Originally posted by Watcho! Watcho! wrote:

Dude is boring live. It is what it is.

thats what i meant to say in a nutshell.. but there is enough else to pay Attention to during a show so i dont take notice and dont care..
"with nothing better to do"
Chainofslowdecay View Drop Down
Blenderhead
Blenderhead

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chainofslowdecay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/14/2019 at 03:04
Originally posted by Harbortown Harbortown wrote:

I don't exactly follow, could you show me specific examples?

I've always thought Brooks is the drummer who started straying away from the gallop beat.

Almost any fast song on the new record. My Sanity, The Approach, What Tomorrow Brings, ect. Just listen to the bass drum hits. He does a typical "d-beat" (1 1-2) and then follows that with two single bass hits (1-1). We used to jokingly call the 1/1 bass to snare ratio the "polka beat" so essentially here you have a d-beat followed by a polka beat and repeated.

How's that for over-analysis? Someone tell me to stop fucking thinking. :)

The Devil In Stitches
The Devil In Stitches

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Harbortown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/14/2019 at 03:35
Oh yes I see what you mean. I don't like that either. I know I've had this discussion with someone else here, either way Brooks doesn't play a typical d-beat either but rather does his own take on it, which I also I don't like. 
See Evangeline, Resist stance and Scrutiny for a few examples.

Either way, that's why Bobby will always be my favorite! He was hard hitting and kept a steady, classic beat. 
Blenderhead
Blenderhead

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chainofslowdecay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/14/2019 at 04:26
Yes. Brooks is far and away the most talented BR drummer. But when it comes to the fast beat- the meat and potatoes of BR- Bobby still reigns supreme IMO. 

All that said, Jamie is fine and the somewhat robotic drumming doesn't detract from what a good record AoU is. 
coop View Drop Down
Infected
Infected
woman finnisher

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/14/2019 at 05:05
I hate how tim chews his gum completely out of rythm.
Anti- View Drop Down
Generator
Generator
Butt-head

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anti- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/14/2019 at 06:20

Originally posted by Anti- Anti- wrote:

Give the guy a break. He burns all his energy in running and cycling insane distances during tours. I don't understand how he can even stand when he is doing 20 - 40 km runs and playing shows day after day.

I mean maybe he could not do that while he's on tour and play better shows instead

Running is a hell of a drug. You can't just quit like that.
Sometimes It Feels Like... *?!%+!*#@+¤
coop View Drop Down
Infected
Infected
woman finnisher

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/14/2019 at 06:49
Drugs are bad. All you need to do to quit running is stop.
SOLDSHORT View Drop Down
Generator
Generator
fishtank survivor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SOLDSHORT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/14/2019 at 08:28
Originally posted by coop coop wrote:

I hate how tim chews his gum completely out of rythm.

THE RHYTHM WAR
THIS IS NOT REALITY THIS IS NOT REALITY THIS IS NOT REALITY THIS IS NOT REALITY THIS IS NOT REALITY
BringBRTotheUK View Drop Down
Billy Gnosis
Billy Gnosis
demonomaniac

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BringBRTotheUK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/14/2019 at 08:55
All you guys arguing about Mike v Hetson, Brooks v the new guy. As far as I'm concerned, get rid of everyone except Brett and Greg and it's fine. I like Baker's guitar solos but I'm sure someone else could do that easily enough. It's the songwriting and Graffin's voice that keeps me coming back. Don't give a toss about the rest
springbok241 View Drop Down
Incomplete
Incomplete

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote springbok241 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/14/2019 at 09:13
Hi all,

Been a fan for exactly half my life (less impressive when I'm 22) and pretty much listen to all sorts of punk on my own. This is my first album by my favorite band that I really got to listen to as a seasoned listener (I remember being excited for true north, but didn't really get hyped for it) but I'd love to talk about this album some - I've basically had it on repeat since it came out.

I won't give ratings because that's too easy to latch onto, and I like all the songs on the album anyway.

Chaos from within- When this came out I knew the album would be great, and I absolutely love the pace of this to start the album. Lyrics are fantastic too.
My Sanity- Great song, though I don't think it bites politically as much as they wanted it to? That's fine for me though.
Do the Paranoid Style - Great mood to the strong, one of the stronger ones on the album. Sounds like a modern old BR song if that makes sense.
The Approach - Honestly, the next 3 songs are my weak point of the album. I really like the chorus, maybe I'd like this song better at the end? 
Lose Your Head - one of they're better approaches at a slow long (looking at you, half of dissent of man), but my least favorite on the album. Love the ending though. Still don't skip it.
End of History- Like this song the more I listen to it, it leads nicely into age of unreason.
Age of Unreason- Though "unreason" is dumb, this whole song is fantastic- it's great, varies constantly, and is now my favorite on the album.
Candidate- While I liked it a lot at first, it's becoming weaker for me- it feels like the "throwaway" song that I've seen some people call big black dog on here. it does have great lyrics, makes a good point, but it's simple. I'll probably like it more when i'm not hearing it many times each day.
Faces of Grief- Fast song, lyrics I had to google, small breakdown chorus? Absolutely love it. Kind of reminds me of a suffer song.
Old Regime - I don't know why I think of operation rescue when I listen to this song, but I do. Like it a lot.
Big Black Dog- Was my initial favorite, still think its great. I think this is the most "single" sounding song on the album, personally. Lot of fun, like the riff a lot, the dog barking noise is kinda funny. Different tone for this song than the rest of the album, leads nicely to the end.
Downfall- I like it, sounds positive even with the negative lyrics. 
Since Now- Growing on me more - I really enjoy the backups in it, the lyrics are concise and powerful, and overall it's a lot of fun. Feels like the most ska-y BR song (feel free to destroy that take) and I think that's as far as I'd like them to go, but this song is great.
What Tomorrow Brings- Not as great of a closing as Changing Tide (that my be my #1 overall) but a great closing. "These are more than words that the false prophet sings" might be my favorite line on the album and that kind of self-awareness is part of why I love BR so much.

I think my top 5 on the album are:
Age of Unreason
Chaos From Within
Faces of Grief
Since Now
Big Black Dog

And while I'm less settled into where this album fits into the BR hierarchy, I think it's reallllly good. Though this is just for context as to what I like. 

Probably something like:
Recipe for Hate
Against the Grain
No Control
Generator
Suffer
Age of Unreason?

I'd love to talk about anything, even if I'm only here intermittently while studying for finals!

CleverScreenName View Drop Down
Hippy Killer
Hippy Killer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote CleverScreenName Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/14/2019 at 09:19

Originally posted by coop coop wrote:

I think nobody said that.

he's kind of the master of putting words in people's mouths and being rude at this point

And you're saying that a member of a band you like should take it easy on his healthy hobbies just so you can be entertained by how swiftly he moves around the stage. Fuck yourself, guy 
coop View Drop Down
Infected
Infected
woman finnisher

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/14/2019 at 11:04
What. Why.
oldmrfletcher View Drop Down
The Devil In Stitches
The Devil In Stitches

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldmrfletcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/14/2019 at 11:25
SJWs are not where the fun is...
Blenderhead
Blenderhead

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chainofslowdecay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/14/2019 at 13:13
I wonder who burns more calories- Mike running a 10k or early 90s Hetson going batshit crazy during an hour plus BR set. Gotta be close. 

I don't think Greg will ever make any "best guitarist" lists, but man, I gotta give him credit doing all that jumping and running around and still playing the right notes. 
Trumphero666AH View Drop Down
Incomplete
Incomplete

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trumphero666AH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/14/2019 at 15:19

Simple

coop View Drop Down
Infected
Infected
woman finnisher

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/14/2019 at 15:22
The Devil In Stitches
The Devil In Stitches

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Harbortown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/16/2019 at 03:46
Originally posted by BringBRTotheUK BringBRTotheUK wrote:

am I the only one who cringes every time I hear "philosophically moribund"?

Why does it make you cringe? Maybe I'm being stupid but I don't see anything cringeworthy.
I really couldn't tell you. I WILL tell you that it has absolutely nothing to do with its meaning (whatever that may be), just his choice of words right there. Given that their catalogue of lyrics are a giant thesaurus there's no reason for me to single this line out as anything out of the ordinary
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2122232425>
  Share Topic