Forum | The Bad Religion Page - Since 1995 Age of Unreason - new album out May 3, 2019 - The Bad Religion page forum - Page 3
Quote of the day: "The sheltering sky was to be my everlasting lullaby." - The Island
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Age of Unreason - new album out May 3, 2019

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 25>
Author
paulb View Drop Down
Lost Pilgrim
Lost Pilgrim

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paulb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/28/2019 at 22:35
So, its not just me? I can barely hear/understand a word Greg is saying on Chaos From Within. Who approved this mix?
Harbortown View Drop Down
The Devil In Stitches
The Devil In Stitches

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Harbortown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/01/2019 at 02:53
So I just realized the biggest sin of this song is the fact that they play an A-major rather than A-minor. You can hear it all the way to the left in the mix.
They did it earlier in their career too, you can hear it in songs like Billy and Modern man, where they play a major chord where they should be playing a minor chord. Drives me nuts!
https://soundcloud.com/johnzackarias/
The Devil In Stitches
The Devil In Stitches

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Harbortown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/01/2019 at 02:56
I fucking love the song though, despite the awful mix it really is a great song
nropevolI View Drop Down
Infected
Infected
pr0n Jeremy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nropevolI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/01/2019 at 04:34
Originally posted by Harbortown Harbortown wrote:

So I just realized the biggest sin of this song is the fact that they play an A-major rather than A-minor. You can hear it all the way to the left in the mix.
They did it earlier in their career too, you can hear it in songs like Billy and Modern man, where they play a major chord where they should be playing a minor chord. Drives me nuts!

I actually love that about BR. Songs that are clearly major or minor are boring. It forces you in an emotion. Like minor=sad, major= angry or happy. The ending of the no control song is also brilliant when they are singing we have no controooooool (minor choir) and the short "no control!!" sounds major all of a sudden.
n1ckb0n3z View Drop Down
Universal Cynic
Universal Cynic
Bass boss but still a n00b

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n1ckb0n3z Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/01/2019 at 11:24
Originally posted by nropevolI nropevolI wrote:

I actually love that about BR. Songs that are clearly major or minor are boring. It forces you in an emotion. Like minor=sad, major= angry or happy. The ending of the no control song is also brilliant when they are singing we have no controooooool (minor choir) and the short "no control!!" sounds major all of a sudden.

Probably why I love all those songs. 
I want BR to play Anesthesia in every language at every country they go to.
ivanhopl View Drop Down
Modern Man
Modern Man

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ivanhopl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/02/2019 at 04:51
Miller is good. 
frod79 View Drop Down
Generator
Generator
Frod Almighty

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frod79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/02/2019 at 20:50
are we still having a brickwall discussion, i thought this would go away affter NMOH :) 
"Some claim there was no great shoeman in the sky, others say the answer won't be known until the other shoe drops" - Al Bundy
coop View Drop Down
Infected
Infected
woman finnisher

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/03/2019 at 01:25
Walls are fashionable.
Metmass View Drop Down
The Devil In Stitches
The Devil In Stitches

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Metmass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/03/2019 at 09:21

For me the mix is good but the mastering seems brutal.
The Devil In Stitches
The Devil In Stitches

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Harbortown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/03/2019 at 23:29
Originally posted by Metmass Metmass wrote:

Granted, my knowledge on the matter is limited so I'll just say that the drum sound is terrible and sounds like a drum machine more than anything else. I think that's my biggest issue with the sound of the recording
CleverScreenName View Drop Down
Hippy Killer
Hippy Killer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CleverScreenName Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/04/2019 at 00:03

Granted, my knowledge on the matter is limited so I'll just say that the drum sound is terrible and sounds like a drum machine more than anything else. I think that's my biggest issue with the sound of the recording

Perhaps Brett replaced Jamie's drum bits with a drum machine, taking a cue from Metallica screwing Jason Newsted on his first record with the band and replacing his bass lines with dead air. 
Metmass View Drop Down
The Devil In Stitches
The Devil In Stitches

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Metmass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/04/2019 at 06:45
It is common practice to use samples in mixing drums - either blending them with the source audio or replacing the source audio altogether. It may have been done here too.

To be frank, I don't mind it that much. Yes - the drum sound is different than in the Brooks years, most notably the heavier sounding snare and perhaps a darker sound overall. It's a matter of preference I guess...

Do we have a subforum for more production-oriented talk aside from this one? ->  http://www.thebrpage.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=8684&KW=production&title=favorite-br-record-production

The Devil In Stitches
The Devil In Stitches

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Harbortown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/04/2019 at 06:50

All music forces you in an emotion. Are you saying you find songs in minor like Individual, American Jesus, Suffer, How much is enough?, Walk away, Generator, Sorrow, Requiem for dissent, Resist stance or songs in major like LA is burning, New America, Live again, Empty causes, Stranger than fiction (and so many more) boring on account of them being "clearly" major/minor?
If so, I guess you do you, it just makes no sense to me that they would have a solo, melodies and vocal harmonies in a minor key yet play a major chord on the guitar. You wouldn't play LA is burning in C-major yet play a C-minor chord.
The Devil In Stitches
The Devil In Stitches

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Harbortown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/04/2019 at 06:55

To be frank, I don't mind it that much. Yes - the drum sound is different than in the Brooks years, most notably the heavier sounding snare and perhaps a darker sound overall. It's a matter of preference I guess...
I don't mind the tone of the drums all that much, New maps of hell for instance had a really thick/heavy drum sound! Granted, that record was compressed to hell, but still, the drums themselves were way heavier compared to The empire strikes first. 

I think what I don't like is how (to me) it doesn't sound like an actual human is playing. The kids are alt-right sounds different (and better) in terms of drum sound, or is that just me?
ivanhopl View Drop Down
Modern Man
Modern Man

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ivanhopl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/04/2019 at 10:04
Lolz from all the progressive rocks and metals. It's clear that you don't know about Punk Rock music.
Punk Rock is not Rap ! You can't just put the drum machine and everything will be ok.
In the end you have to have human. Miller is not MR Metal Star. But he's good anyway. 
 To many fans Bobby Schayer was 1000 times better than MR Metal Star.
You should be glad that  The Guys pick up Jayme Miller and not some dumb guy who
doesn't even knows how to play the drums. And  i remember the times when Mr Metal Star quits
and The Guys was  under despair ( Me at the shoutbox : i start to feel worry. Jay : me too )
They could choose worse,  believe me.
It's only 2 songs. I'm sure that all album wil be gr eat.

I was wrong.  It's not my page anymore. I'm out of here.
coop View Drop Down
Infected
Infected
woman finnisher

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote coop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/04/2019 at 11:42
What?
Marty View Drop Down
Admin
Admin
I'm with her

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/04/2019 at 11:45
Originally posted by coop coop wrote:

What?
What he said.
Metmass View Drop Down
The Devil In Stitches
The Devil In Stitches

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Metmass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/04/2019 at 13:16
Originally posted by ivanhopl ivanhopl wrote:

I was wrong.  It's not my page anymore. I'm out of here.

bye
Metmass View Drop Down
The Devil In Stitches
The Devil In Stitches

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Metmass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/04/2019 at 13:31

I think what I don't like is how (to me) it doesn't sound like an actual human is playing. The kids are alt-right sounds different (and better) in terms of drum sound, or is that just me?

I actually agree but I also think the TKAAR drum sound wouldn't work well on the faster tracks. Too heavy, too much reverb, it would probably weigh the tracks down.

Perhaps it's just Jamie's playing? More "robotic" feel at fast tempos?
Perhaps it's the effect of drum editing - perfectly aligning every hit to the grid?
Perhaps it's just the drum sound...

I'm eager to hear something slower / more varied on the record to judge but this whole thing reminds me of Dream Theater. People argue that Mike Mangini supposedly plays like a robot compared to the "full of life" and "real sounding" Portnoy. Many people blamed MM himself but the last record is mixed differently and, what do you know, the drums feel much more alive. The mix matters a lot...

nropevolI View Drop Down
Infected
Infected
pr0n Jeremy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nropevolI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/04/2019 at 14:15

I actual...

All music forces you in an emotion. Are you saying you find songs in minor like Individual, American Jesus, Suffer, How much is enough?, Walk away, Generator, Sorrow, Requiem for dissent, Resist stance or songs in major like LA is burning, New America, Live again, Empty causes, Stranger than fiction (and so many more) boring on account of them being "clearly" major/minor?
If so, I guess you do you, it just makes no sense to me that they would have a solo, melodies and vocal harmonies in a minor key yet play a major chord on the guitar. You wouldn't play LA is burning in C-major yet play a C-minor chord.

There is music that can be both major or minor or unknown. "Royals " from Lorde is interesting. "Norwegian wood" from the Beatles. Happy verse, but minor bridge and lyrics about cheating guy burns down house.
The intro of fuck Armageddon is also very nice. It would suck if you 'd play A major D major OR A minor D minor during the melody. Just that bassline and simple guitar notes creates such tension.
Land of competition is also one of my favorites. The first verses sound sad in " lost in his joy she's all alone" and "wants to destroy his hometown scene". It's like he sings minor notes over an E major. Verse 3 is different when he sings "there are so few of them". Then the end:
And forget about the ones who "have it all." Major
Be careful of the ones who "have it all." X2 Can be both
Forget about the ones who "have it all." Minor?
Okay so those songs you mentioned aren't boring . Boring was not the right word. Also you were right about the new song. At 0:12 "land " in minor harmony sounds crazy on that A on the left speaker. I can't hear other moments where it sounds that bad.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 25>
  Share Topic