Forum | The Bad Religion Page - Since 1995 New Bad Religion Live Album - The Bad Religion page forum - Page 2
Quote of the day: "I heard them say that the meek shall reign on earth. Phantasmal myriads of sane bucolic birth. I've seen the rapture in a starving baby's eyes. Inchoate beatitude, the Lord of the Flies." - 1000 More Fools
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

New Bad Religion Live Album

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Harbortown View Drop Down
The Devil In Stitches
The Devil In Stitches

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Harbortown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/08/2019 at 02:13
Originally posted by Metmass Metmass wrote:

I agree with all of you too.

I was actually fine with 30 Years Live but I still cannot forget how obviously overdubbed the backing vocals on Live at the Palladium were - and that was 13 years ago. Unfortunately time did not do the band any favors in that regard.
Oh man, I never realized they're overdubbed but it makes sense now that I listen to it. Honestly I don't mind, because it wouldn't be a very enjoyable experience without them. Never liked the sound a lot, it feels muddy and there's not a lot of punch. 
Still love the DVD, though, I bought it when I'd been a fan of the band for maybe a year and it introduced me to a lot of songs I'd overlooked like God's love, Kyoto now and plenty others. But I digress!
https://soundcloud.com/johnzackarias/
friteman View Drop Down
Hippy Killer
Hippy Killer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote friteman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/08/2019 at 02:29
Yeah, the overdubbed harmonies on Palladium struck me too. Especially when you read what Greg wrote on Tested about live albums and sound processing. Still I find many songs on Palladium are really great because of those harmonies (Recipe among other).
Harbortown View Drop Down
The Devil In Stitches
The Devil In Stitches

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Harbortown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/08/2019 at 03:00
Originally posted by friteman friteman wrote:

Especially when you read what Greg wrote on Tested about live albums and sound processing.
What did he write?
https://soundcloud.com/johnzackarias/
friteman View Drop Down
Hippy Killer
Hippy Killer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote friteman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/08/2019 at 09:58
Quite the whole booklet is about the way Tested was produced, recorded and mixed.

"Most live albums suck" ... "So much emphasis is put on production tricks and fabricated excitement in the studio that most band have a hard time recreating it when they perform in front of an audience" ... "Either the band isn't skilled enough  to make the live recording energetic or interesting, or the album is so replete with overdubs that it sounds like a water-down representation of the original studio recording, with clapping and fading in and out. The album you have your hands on right now has no overdubs. We used only the original tracks that were recorded live on stage" ... "it reveals, more honestly and directly than any recordings to date, the intensity and melody that sets BR apart as a live band."
DuReX View Drop Down
Hippy Killer
Hippy Killer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DuReX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/11/2019 at 06:55
I doubt there are any overdubs on Palladium DVD. I tried to listen to 5.1 track separately by channel, and backing vocals were too inaccurate to suggest they were overdubbed in several takes.
coop View Drop Down
Infected
Infected
woman finnisher

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/11/2019 at 08:17
Yes there is
Metmass View Drop Down
The Devil In Stitches
The Devil In Stitches

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Metmass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/11/2019 at 08:47
Originally posted by DuReX DuReX wrote:

I doubt there are any overdubs on Palladium DVD. I tried to listen to 5.1 track separately by channel, and backing vocals were too inaccurate to suggest they were overdubbed in several takes.

Two examples would be in Modern Man (last chorus) and Do What You Want (second verse). If these are not overdubs, it's probably the best BR live singing ever recorded.
Sascha89 View Drop Down
Hippy Killer
Hippy Killer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sascha89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/11/2019 at 11:01
Originally posted by coop coop wrote:

I have always hated that Jays mic seems to be off almost every time.

That always bothers me, too.

That they can't sing the harmonies live like on record is probably because only Greg, Brett and Jay sing in the studio. So the harmonies... I am of the opinion that at least to have read that.

Chainofslowdecay View Drop Down
Blenderhead
Blenderhead

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chainofslowdecay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/11/2019 at 18:38
I have a feeling Greg does almost all of the harmonies in the studio with overdubs. The ooozin' ahhs are another story, but I'm sure those are easier for Brett and Jay when they aren't having to play an instrument, and have multiple takes. Live, I've heard Jay sound great, and I've heard Jay sound bad. Often the soundguy doesn't do them any favors, either. 

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic