Forum | The Bad Religion Page - Since 1995 kratom - The Bad Religion page forum
Quote of the day: "The final page is written in the books of history, as man unleashed his deadly bombs and sent troops overseas" - Part III
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

kratom

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
punkrockjustin View Drop Down
Staff
Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote punkrockjustin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: kratom
    Posted: 06/18/2019 at 18:41
So I was drawing blood from this guy today and he noticed that my hands shake a bit (a nervous tremor, had it for years, not worth worrying about--pharmacological treatment involves too many side effects for me and it doesn't interfere with my life all that much).  He recommended a herb to me (e.g. herbal supplement).  It's called kratom. 

He told me people use it for things like dealing with pain, anxiety, fatigue, getting over opioid dependence (a problem I believe is currently perpetuated by the same industry that created the "opioid crisis" by insisting that pain is a measurable "vital sign" and that every patient has a right to be at "zero pain"--the "opioid crisis" is actually the modern understanding of the ongoing opium trade which has existed for about 3000 years and very few if any lives are "pain free" but I will get back to my point after this parenthetical tangent).  Basically he suggested kratom is a cure-all, a magic bullet, a miracle plant which can help with all of the above, plus with tremors.

For some reason, I am extremely leery of it.  Can't put my finger on why exactly but I'm inclined to think it isn't what it seems.  I did a bit of research and did ask coworkers about it.  No one at work knew much other than the name.  It wasn't easy to find anything objective on teh intarwebs, as there are strong (and non-fact-based) opinions for and against.  I found evidence to suggest people can become dependent on it and that it can cause mood disturbances.  I also found evidence to suggest it gets you high.

Now, I have nothing against getting high (oh how I miss toking), I do believe that things like tobacco and alcohol can actually be good for people... I mean--whatever.  Health is a continuum, everything is on the table, it's whatever works for you (as long as it works).  I know I've gotten therapeutic benefit from marijuana and alcohol.  I have also gotten benefits from things like ginseng, ginkgo, ashwaghanda, kava, rhodiola, chamomile, mint, butterbur, skullcap, etc.  and I don't disagree with people who believe such things are just as good as manufactured pharmaceuticals.  And when I can get away with it I have plenty of "recreational" fun if you know what I mean.  Hell, if there is something that can get me high without dependency or on-the-job impairment or random drug testing repercussions I'm all for it.

I am surprised I hadn't heard of it before, apparently it has been around for a very long time and is very widespread.  But.  For some reason kratom sends up some red flags in my mind.  My question is simple: should it?

Edited by punkrockjustin - 06/18/2019 at 21:22
   \m/.(><).\m/
┌∩┐(◕_◕)┌∩┐
coop View Drop Down
Infected
Infected
woman finnisher

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/18/2019 at 23:10
Drugs are bad.
SPORK View Drop Down
Billy Gnosis
Billy Gnosis

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SPORK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/19/2019 at 14:56
It didn’t work for me. Try CBD, it might be better.
I'm not going to stop the wheel
I'm going to break the wheel
Robo Pilgrim View Drop Down
Generator
Generator
linkage robot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robo Pilgrim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/19/2019 at 15:29
Originally posted by coop coop wrote:

Drugs are bad.

They make you do the things you know you not... shad?
Go on take a swig of that poison and like it
Staff
Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote punkrockjustin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/19/2019 at 19:51
Originally posted by SPORK SPORK wrote:

It didn’t work for me. Try CBD, it might be better.

It would have to be the non-THC kind, I am subject to being randomized now.  I might give it a shot.  Since yesterday I have been thinking "hey maybe it would be nice if my hands didn't shake after all".

Edit:  Mentioned your suggestion to someone I know who is a bit of an expert, Spork.  Now I know that CBD has nothing to do with THC and from what I can tell seems far more reliable and harmless than kratom.  I have been educated and will commence experimentation forthwith.  Thanks.

Edited by punkrockjustin - 06/19/2019 at 22:11
   \m/.(><).\m/
┌∩┐(◕_◕)┌∩┐
Joe Dawson View Drop Down
Lost Pilgrim
Lost Pilgrim

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe Dawson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/04/2019 at 16:26
" I do believe that things like tobacco and alcohol can actually be good for people.. "  This is a tale of Honolulu Grig in reverse :) :) :p
Staff
Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote punkrockjustin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/04/2019 at 20:14
Originally posted by Joe Dawson Joe Dawson wrote:

" I do believe that things like tobacco and alcohol can actually be good for people.. "  This is a tale of Honolulu Grig in reverse :) :) :p

Not familiar with Honolulu Grig.  Elaborate?
   \m/.(><).\m/
┌∩┐(◕_◕)┌∩┐
Joe Dawson View Drop Down
Lost Pilgrim
Lost Pilgrim

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe Dawson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/05/2019 at 04:27
  A colleague from Texas with a loooooong neck. He quits from the Page. Nevermind. 

I'm liberal, i'm not judging...
It's not for me, sorry. You people 1989 can take it.
For example if i drink some energy drink i would die - i would be sick all day.
I don't know why, but i can't take such a thing.
It's just not for me.

Staff
Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote punkrockjustin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/05/2019 at 19:08
Originally posted by Joe Dawson Joe Dawson wrote:

A colleague from Texas with a loooooong neck. He quits from the Page. Nevermind. 

I'm liberal, i'm not judging...
It's not for me, sorry. You people 1989 can take it.
For example if i drink some energy drink i would die - i would be sick all day.
I don't know why, but i can't take such a thing.
It's just not for me.

Ah, I see. Not sure what you mean by 1989...

But, in my post I also said

Originally posted by punkrockjustin punkrockjustin wrote:

Health is a continuum, everything is on the table, it's whatever works for you (as long as it works). 

What I was suggesting is that therapeutic benefit can be gained from practically anything... as in any behavior, experience, mode of thinking, or ingestible. Further, what benefits one individual may or may not benefit another--some things that benefit one person may be downright destructive to another.

I wrote the post to see if anyone had any insight into whether or not this one "herb" called kratom might offer me a particular therapeutic benefit (reducing my tremor - which is very mild but is noticeable) and whether some of the "scary" stuff I've heard about kratom actually has any credibility.

Edit: I have decided not to experiment with kratom at this point. One or two posts in this thread did help me make up my mind. Thanks, fellow Bad Religioners!

Edited by punkrockjustin - 07/05/2019 at 19:20
   \m/.(><).\m/
┌∩┐(◕_◕)┌∩┐
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic