Forum | The Bad Religion Page - Since 1995 Favourite solo by each member? - The Bad Religion page forum
Quote of the day: "Who authored the blueprints and made us captains?" - Shades Of Truth
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Favourite solo by each member?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
MichaelB View Drop Down
The Devil In Stitches
The Devil In Stitches

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MichaelB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Favourite solo by each member?
    Posted: 07/10/2019 at 06:47
What is your favourite guitar solo by each guitarist? Feel free to include more than one.

My choices:

Brett: Sorrow
Hetson: Struck a Nerve
Brian: Finite
Mike: ?? (still not sure which solos he plays on AoU) 
'Jesus/why'd you have to go and do that/Jesus/where'd you go and get those strange ideas'
Warstub View Drop Down
The Same Person
The Same Person
Biggest brpage Tool... Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Warstub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/10/2019 at 08:13
Is there a record of who played which solos???
http://warstub.weebly.com/novels.html
Nothing can bring a person into adulthood except their own sense of self and the personal responsibility that accompanies that.
coop View Drop Down
Billy Gnosis
Billy Gnosis
woman finnisher

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/10/2019 at 11:44
Brian should go solo. Or at least leave the band.
Robo Pilgrim View Drop Down
Generator
Generator
linkage robot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robo Pilgrim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/10/2019 at 14:37
I like the solo in Robin Hood in Reverse. I assume it’s Brian.
Go on take a swig of that poison and like it
MichaelB View Drop Down
The Devil In Stitches
The Devil In Stitches

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MichaelB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/11/2019 at 01:19
I'm just going by what I've seen live and in music videos. And their styles are quite distinctive for the most part. 
'Jesus/why'd you have to go and do that/Jesus/where'd you go and get those strange ideas'
Joe Dawson View Drop Down
Incomplete
Incomplete

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe Dawson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/11/2019 at 05:21
Originally posted by Robo Pilgrim Robo Pilgrim wrote:

I like the solo in Robin Hood in Reverse. I assume it’s Brian.

No, sorry. It's Brett ( Brett  wrote it somewhere couple years ago - that it's one of the exceptions).

In Bad Religion there's no solos like glue stick to a single person. Brian plays Brett solos,
Mike is playing Brett's and some Brian's stuff. Someday in a youtube i saw
 Greg Hetson playing something Brett's.  It's all mixed.
hetson87 View Drop Down
Blenderhead
Blenderhead

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hetson87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/11/2019 at 05:55
Hetson: God Song
Brett: Fuck Armageddon...
Baker: Avalon

Edited by hetson87 - 07/11/2019 at 05:58
Groomits View Drop Down
Man With A Mission
Man With A Mission

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Groomits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/11/2019 at 06:01
I'm not sure about who plays which solos, but I always found Brian's one in The Quickening to be his best. The way it blends in with the last chorus, gives me chills every time.

Edited by Groomits - 07/11/2019 at 06:05
nropevolI View Drop Down
Infected
Infected
pr0n Jeremy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nropevolI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/12/2019 at 05:31
Brian:strange denial
Hetson: struck a nerve
Brett: sorrow /and not really a solo but Two babies in the dark
Chainofslowdecay View Drop Down
Blenderhead
Blenderhead

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chainofslowdecay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/12/2019 at 15:23
Originally posted by Groomits Groomits wrote:

I'm not sure about who plays which solos, but I always found Brian's one in The Quickening to be his best. The way it blends in with the last chorus, gives me chills every time.

Yes, The Quickening is far and away the best Baker solo. 

Jay- Turn on the light

Brett- Skyscraper. It is so sloppy and feedback-laden and has that two handed slide thing he does every so often. 

Hetson- I *think* he did the outro solo on Generator but I'm not sure. I've seen him do it live very accurately. 

Even though Baker is by far the best soloist, I enjoy Brett's sloppy, more simplistic solos the best. Brian's solos have mad skill, but Brett's have so much FEELING to them. Better off Dead and Sorrow are good examples. Not complex. but lots of feeling and fit the songs great. 

Edited by Chainofslowdecay - 07/12/2019 at 15:48
Metmass View Drop Down
Automatic Man
Automatic Man

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Metmass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/13/2019 at 06:32
First thing that came to my mind is that The Quickening solo is a brilliant showcase of Brian's skills, so I'm glad some of you agree as well.

Can we quickly talk about the worst solos in BR catalogue? I love Recipe for Hate but that solo is AMAZINGLY bad. I assume that's Hetson?

If yes, then I always preferred Brett's solos, by a mile.

AnarchoDude View Drop Down
The Devil In Stitches
The Devil In Stitches

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AnarchoDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/13/2019 at 07:38
Turn On The Light is the best solo ever

Also, Past is Dead. That one's fucking great who did that?
Chainofslowdecay View Drop Down
Blenderhead
Blenderhead

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chainofslowdecay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/13/2019 at 08:02
Past Is Dead sounds like Brett to me, but I'm not sure. One distinct Brett solo trait seems to be holding a note and then doing a quick slide before going into the next part. Again, Better Off Dead comes to mind as an example, and Past is Dead has that. 

Yeah the Recipe for Hate "solo" is pretty bad, though I always thought of it as more of an interlude rather than a solo since it is so short and between verse parts. Sounds like Hetson.. A lot of the solos on that record sound like they were made up on the spot, sometimes for better, sometimes for worse. 

Edited by Chainofslowdecay - 07/13/2019 at 08:08
BFY View Drop Down
Staff
Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BFY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/13/2019 at 11:29
Greg Graffins synthesizer-solo on the Quality or Quantity demo.
"Growing Old, Growing Cold"
Turdferguson View Drop Down
Incomplete
Incomplete

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Turdferguson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/14/2019 at 12:17
Atomic Garden
torbar View Drop Down
The Same Person
The Same Person
Doctor of Doctored Photos

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote torbar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/15/2019 at 13:01
Originally posted by Chainofslowdecay Chainofslowdecay wrote:

Past Is Dead sounds like Brett to me, but I'm not sure. One distinct Brett solo trait seems to be holding a note and then doing a quick slide before going into the next part. Again, Better Off Dead comes to mind as an example, and Past is Dead has that. 

When they played it at the redbull record release party thing, which had Brett playing as well, Hetson played the 1st solo and Brian played the 2nd. As far as I know, usually when Brett plays live he seems to play his own solos, so I wonder if Hetson played on the record too
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic