Forum | The Bad Religion Page - Since 1995 A thought on our Discography - The Bad Religion page forum
Quote of the day: "Judgment's not tomorrow, its today (yes now it's here). But no it isn't Jesus, take a look at all your peers" - Best For You
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

A thought on our Discography

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Marty View Drop Down
Admin
Admin
I'm with her

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: A thought on our Discography
    Posted: 07/18/2019 at 12:02
Just a brainwave....

How much added value does our database of releases and versions have compared to what's already on Discogs.com?
E.g. do we have more? Better?

https://www.discogs.com/artist/17479-Bad-Religion
BringBRTotheUK View Drop Down
Billy Gnosis
Billy Gnosis
demonomaniac

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BringBRTotheUK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/18/2019 at 17:33
Is it fair to compare given they probably lifted a lot of their data from this site? 
Alice View Drop Down
Staff
Staff
12 hours wiser

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/18/2019 at 20:40
It's a mutual sharing of data (that's what I like to think of it as!) Discogs do seem to have a fairly comprehensive set of releases, mainly because it's got a huge number of people providing data - crowd sourcing, basically.

Personally, I find Discogs has the main stuff, the big releases. Where they fall down is details, especially things like the American Jesus single where there's a pile of different coloured labels. Discogs has 7 versions of the 7", we have 15. They will have all the colours of a vinyl release, but not the barcode or matrix details. Many people don't care about that level of detail, but it becomes of interest when something is reissued or if two versions have been found that appear to be different due to vinyl colour variations, but the matrix/barcode show they're the same.
All in all, while our discography need to be updated, I still feel it's the point of truth. I trust the data in here.
Marty View Drop Down
Admin
Admin
I'm with her

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/18/2019 at 23:08
Thanks guys! That's what I needed to hear.
Jesse View Drop Down
Staff
Staff
I'm with him

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jesse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/18/2019 at 23:18
Imo it should stay the way it is. I've always seen the brpage as a kind of encyclopedia of Bad Religion. A downgrade of the discography would feel as a downgrade of the whole page, because it simply won't be complete anymore. A simple discography would feel out of balance compared to the extensiveness of the other sections (collectibles, tours & shows, the answer, etc.). I know it's hard to get a section as the discography mobile friendly, but just like Alice said, the data in here is often more detailed and accurate than on discogs.
Gotta use your brain, it's the most important part of your equipment.
the torso View Drop Down
Blenderhead
Blenderhead

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the torso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/19/2019 at 04:23
did you found another  discography editor?
Marty View Drop Down
Admin
Admin
I'm with her

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/19/2019 at 04:34
Originally posted by the torso the torso wrote:

did you found another  discography editor?
Yes we have. Two even!
http://www.thebrpage.net/about/
Alice View Drop Down
Staff
Staff
12 hours wiser

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/19/2019 at 05:16
All I can think of, is if anything is changed in the discography to downgrade it, it'd be Incomplete...
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic