Print Page | Close Window

Videogames

Printed From: The Bad Religion Page
Category: Miscellaneous
Forum Name: Only Entertainment
Forum Description: Discuss books, movies, games, television, etc.
URL: http://www.thebrpage.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=4978
Printed Date: 08/18/2019 at 13:18
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 10.11 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Videogames
Posted By: atheist peace
Subject: Videogames
Date Posted: 08/11/2009 at 04:52
I was reading the posts about E3, and this reminded me that one of the things that made me discover BR was when I heard "You" on Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2 (I think) when I was 16-17. That alone is a good reason for me to like videogames :D 
Well, I've been playing them all my life,I started when i was 5, thanks to my father, and I haven't been able to completely stop playing ever since. I guess i'm something in between a casual and hardcore gamer. Sometimes i stop playing for a while, then I start again. 
At least, I think it's better than being addicted to TV, cause at least you get to interact with something, and not just stare at a screen. Of course, it's not a good thing when you play 24/7, but that can be said about everything.
So ,what do you think? Like them or not? What's your favourite genre?

-------------
..because we're animals, with golden rules, who can't be moved by rational views

Replies:
Posted By: ProdigalSonBR
Date Posted: 08/11/2009 at 05:04
I love strategy games and some rpg's (strange for a mad pacifist i guess), but about a year now i'm bored ever with my favourites (TW, AOE and WC series). I heared BR at Crazy taxy, but back then i wans't into punk at all.

-------------

Posted By: Anti-
Date Posted: 08/11/2009 at 05:19
I used to LOVE AOE and AOE II.

-------------
Sometimes It Feels Like... *?!%+!*#@+¤

Posted By: UbiqueDaemon
Date Posted: 08/11/2009 at 05:24
Yeah, video games! I too discovered Bad Religion through Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2 when it came out! (I was at 5th or 6th grade back then so I was something like 10? Don't remember exactly)
I started playing at age of 5 or 6. My mom bought me a Sega Megadrive II and Lion King (awesome game btw). I'd consider myself a casual gamer. If I'm bored and there's nothing better to do, I might as well start playing something.

I play almost all kind of games. If it has good game playing/plot and I enjoy it, I play it. Graphics don't mean nothing to me. I have PS2, PS1 and Mega Drive II and of course PC. DOS-games are also the best. There are so many good old games that beat the new ones arse.

All time fave game is NHL '94. You just can't beat it. Other faves are: Doom, Companions of Xanth, Sonic series (especially first two), Gran Turismos, Diablos, Half-Life, Final Fantasies, Silent Hills etc. etc. List goes on :D

-------------

Posted By: MichaelB
Date Posted: 08/11/2009 at 05:24
resident evil series is a classic (except for the awful movies).

-------------
'Jesus/why'd you have to go and do that/Jesus/where'd you go and get those strange ideas'

Posted By: Anti-
Date Posted: 08/11/2009 at 05:34
I've played a lot of the football manager series. ..a lot! I'm a huge fan of Half-Life too and I can't wait for the Episode 3 to come out. 

Oh and Pro Evolution Soccer is so much fun to play with friends while drinking.

-------------
Sometimes It Feels Like... *?!%+!*#@+¤

Date Posted: 08/11/2009 at 05:37
Originally posted by Anti- Anti- wrote:

I've played a lot of the football manager series. ..a lot! I'm a huge fan of Half-Life too and I can't wait for the Episode 3 to come out. 

Oh and Pro Evolution Soccer is so much fun to play with friends while drinking.

That's true. NHL, PES and GH in the drunk mode rule :D
I need to buy racing wheel for PS2 so I can play GT4 when drunk, hehe.

-------------

Posted By: Kavo
Date Posted: 08/11/2009 at 05:50
Although I officially became a Bad Religion fan about last year, I've been listening to BR in my youth. Playing games like TH:Underground and Crazy Taxi and I didn't even know. Surprisingly, Big Bang was one of my favorite song on TH:Underground, even back then. I still play video games (if you read my signature you can tell that). 

-------------
Bad Religion Fan Since August 2008. Xbox Live Gamertag - BRFan94

Date Posted: 08/11/2009 at 06:17
Yeah, i've played many of the games you mentioned. I play almost all kinds of games, it depends on my mood. Love the AOE series, although I guess I suck a bit in multiplayer.. When someone else reaches the modern age, I might still be at the stone age, more or less :D I'm too slow.
I like first person shooters, they're fun to play when you need to kill someone but don't want to get the death penalty :P i'm not a violent person at all, they're just games. 
And I too used to play PES with friends.. It was fun to see them shouting at each other when someone scored a goal. 
I grew up with point and click adventures, especially the Monkey Island series. 
Right now my favourite genre probably is RPGs. I liked the final fantasy series since when i was a kid, as well as chrono trigger/cross. I enjoyed Xenogears, which isn't as popular as FF, but probably has the best story out of all the rpgs i've played. I think it was banned in the USA because of the mature contents. Has anyone played it? On the PC i liked Neverwinter Nights and similar games.
Maybe it's just me, but it seems that the quality of the videogames is getting lower with time. I haven't enjoyed many new games in the last years. 

-------------
..because we're animals, with golden rules, who can't be moved by rational views

Posted By: ThiagoPD64
Date Posted: 08/11/2009 at 06:20
Originally posted by atheist peace atheist peace wrote:

.. and this reminded me that one of the things that made me discover BR was when I heard "You" on Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2 (I think) when I was 16-17.
  The same here, but I was just 13 when this happened.

I don't have a favourite game, but I love to play Call of Duty 4, Counter-Strike, Age of Wonders, Age Of Empires 2, Age of Mythology, The Sims, Roller Coaster and many others. Talking about videogames, I don't have any experience with the sixth and seventh generations of videogames so my favorite videogames are Crash Bandicoot, GoldenEye 007, Mario Kart 64, and Tony Hawk's Pro Skater.

-------------
Sun's coming up and I can't decide, to spill my emotions or keep them inside..

Date Posted: 08/11/2009 at 06:35

Yeah, i've played many of the games you mentioned. I play almost all kinds of games, it depends on my mood. Love the AOE series, although I guess I suck a bit in multiplayer.. When someone else reaches the modern age, I might still be at the stone age, more or less :D I'm too slow.
If you get faster, you will see the best game mode is the multiplayer. It's amazing when you see the first troops attacking your village but if you can overwhelm them, it becomes even more amazing. Suggestion: Try 1x2 at easy or 1x1 at moderate difficult mode.

-------------

Date Posted: 08/11/2009 at 06:36
The original THPS rules so much. I used to go to my friend just to play it and Heroes of Might and Magic III. You can complete the game 100% in ~20mins with one character. Love it hehe :D

-------------

Posted By: JakkoztaR
Date Posted: 08/11/2009 at 07:29
The Mega Man games on NES are the best games ever made, period.

-------------
Faith alone won't sustain us anymore.

Posted By: n1ckb0n3z
Date Posted: 08/11/2009 at 07:33
I also discovered bad religion through video games. THPS2 - you, THUG1 - big bang, THAW - we're only gonna die, THP8 - social suicide. Tony hawk was all i played. Now all i play is skate 2 and Rock band 2. 

-------------
I want BR to play Anesthesia in every language at every country they go to.

Posted By: calrockx
Date Posted: 08/11/2009 at 07:46
Despite all the fancy new consoles, my favorite system remains SNES.
And on that, I will rock any of you at Super Mario Kart. You know, in case you were wondering.

-------------

Posted By: GillesDeRiceKrispies
Date Posted: 08/11/2009 at 11:07
I discovered Bad Religion because of Crazy Taxi on the Dreamcast when I was 8, and rediscovered them 2 years later when I got Crazy Taxi 3.

I love video games. Favorite genre is stealth (which is odd, because none of my favorite games are stealth games), but since I can't find that many great stealth games, I tend to play FPS a lot and just play in a stealthy manner. RPGs are also fun, but I have to stay away from MMOs, I get addicted too easily. If anyone here plays on Xbox Live, my GamerTag is the exact same thing as my username here, so send me a friend request or game invite. It would be fun to play sometime.

Favorite games:
Team Fortress 2, Crackdown, Rock Band, Saints Row 2, Left 4 Dead, Half-Life series, Deus Ex, Psychonauts, Dead Rising, and Fable.

-------------

Posted By: The Fault Line
Date Posted: 08/11/2009 at 13:39
Yeah growing up I played videogames all the time, I still play them now, but I don't really play very many current generation titles other than some sports games. I just don't feel real motivated to try out new games (other than some rpgs) so I usually just keep going back to the classics. Whether that be stuff on the first playstation, NES or even the ol' Atari 2600.

-------------
(notyoursavior78)

Date Posted: 08/11/2009 at 18:42
Originally posted by Brmarlin Brmarlin wrote:

I discovered Bad Religion because of Crazy Taxi on the Dreamcast when I was 8, and rediscovered them 2 years later when I got Crazy Taxi 3.

I love video games. Favorite genre is stealth (which is odd, because none of my favorite games are stealth games), but since I can't find that many great stealth games, I tend to play FPS a lot and just play in a stealthy manner. RPGs are also fun, but I have to stay away from MMOs, I get addicted too easily. If anyone here plays on Xbox Live, my GamerTag is the exact same thing as my username here, so send me a friend request or game invite. It would be fun to play sometime.

Favorite games:
Team Fortress 2, Crackdown, Rock Band, Saints Row 2, Left 4 Dead, Half-Life series, Deus Ex, Psychonauts, Dead Rising, and Fable.

Have you ever played No One Lives Forever? It's kinda old now, but that was a fun game to play..I guess one of the best in the genre.. FPS with a lot of stealth.. And love scenes.. like this one:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OlZ0G0XgFIo&feature=related - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OlZ0G0XgFIo&feature=related
And.. monkeys:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r4BDoUx33SU&feature=related - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r4BDoUx33SU&feature=related

-------------

Date Posted: 08/11/2009 at 19:39
No, I haven't, but I'll check it out - it looks interesting, and Monolith is one of my favorite devs - I absolutely adored FEAR and Condemned. Their sequels were not quite as good, but still fun. Condemned 2 up to and including the bear chase was fantastic....after that, not so much.

-------------

Posted By: Baird
Date Posted: 08/13/2009 at 17:44

I am a hardcore gamer, but that's just because a lot of the games I play have great music on them.

-------------
He who can not think, can not know.

Date Posted: 08/14/2009 at 01:37
I really hope your username isn't after the Gears character....

-------------

Date Posted: 08/14/2009 at 01:41

No, it's not, it's from the Irish word for "bard".

Why Bard? Because my favourite game is The Bard's Tale.

-------------

Posted By: badrelgnsf
Date Posted: 08/14/2009 at 15:06
bards tale original.. or the crappy remake?

i love the origi...
im a hardcore gamer.. and a classic one...
nothing beats old games, as new games have lost their soul in sacrifice for visuals... character depth for bloom and hdr... wee...

fallout 3 is a prime example of a failing community of droning zombie pushing game devs..

-------------
" Oprah, Why Can't I Fly Even If I Believe I Can?!"

Date Posted: 08/14/2009 at 16:22

Original AND the crappy remake.

I love 'em both, actually.

Indeed, modern games are quite idiotic and goalless, while games like Mario and Tetris train your brain.

-------------

Date Posted: 08/14/2009 at 19:11
Btw, a lot of videogames have some of my favorite music. :)

I don't agree all modern games are idiotic, but I do favor the older games in general. It's not like Doom involved a lot of thought, but I love that game!! Halo?? Pfffft it wishes it was as cool as Doom ;)

-------------
(notyoursavior78)

Date Posted: 08/15/2009 at 02:15
Originally posted by Baird Baird wrote:

Yay, I learned a new Irish word! thanks.

-------------

Date Posted: 08/15/2009 at 03:40

Originally posted by Baird Baird wrote:

Yay, I learned a new Irish word! thanks.

Are you interested in Ireland?

I'm originally from Ireland. I was born there, but when I was 5, we went to Belgium. =/

OT:

It's true that a lot of videogames have awesome music on them, for example: the tetris themesong! It's on my ipod in 5 different versions (rock version, drum 'n bass version, original, metal version and rockabilly version)

-------------

Date Posted: 08/15/2009 at 11:28
Nope, not really. I mean, I guess it's an interesting enough country. I was very tired and that response made perfect sense in my mind at the time.

-------------

Date Posted: 08/15/2009 at 14:57
barid thats not the genre im talking of... and you know it..

pong anyone.. thats brain function zero..

(wasnt speaking of console classics mate)

and doom the game.. good? really.. .. hmm... fooled me..
pointless pda... no scares when you can save and load on will.. just save.. run.. know whats happening.. load.. and walla... that kills most games like FEAR and such.. FEAR part 1.. much better game than doom .. fear 2.. uber bad..

-------------

Posted By: LV97
Date Posted: 08/15/2009 at 15:15
I've been playing Nintendo game at 6 years olds. Have had many different periods in my life regarding videos games and styles of games. Sometimes I could have said video games suck, sometimes I could have said I'm a hardcore gamer. But I think they're just part of culture now.

My best video game memories are Zelda III (Snes), X-wing, Tie Fighter, Dune 2, Waracraft 2, Day of the Tentacles, Syndicates, Civilization series/Colonization, ... I probably forget some ...

More recently I've been making videos in World of Warcraft, tested Eve Online, and sometimes been 'addicted' to Civilization IV.

I'm not playing anything right now, but the only thing I'm really expecting to test is Starcraft II.

(Never played a game for the music !)

-------------
http://lv97.net/ - Approximately retired D.I.Y.-punk-private/jokes creations.

Date Posted: 08/15/2009 at 17:37
I was talking about Doom on the old PSX. You coudn't save and load like that. On the PC versions you could, but you are just taking the challenge outta the game there yourself. 

Playing classic games on new systems really take the challenge of the old games since a lot of times they let you save anywhere. That's dumb because people just then tend to abuse that stuff.

-------------
(notyoursavior78)

Date Posted: 08/15/2009 at 18:00
Originally posted by badrelgnsf badrelgnsf wrote:

pointless pda... no scares when you can save and load on will.. just save.. run.. know whats happening.. load.. and walla... that kills most games like FEAR and such.. FEAR part 1.. much better game than doom .. fear 2.. uber bad..

Which classic games do you like?
As for Doom, well, I played it when it first came out, and FPS were still a new thing, so I guess it was good at least for its time, although now it may look rudimentary. 
FPS aren't my favourite games, but they can be fun to play. I haven't played many of the recent ones, especially because they become repetitive.. I played Crysis and I didn't really enjoy it.. It's almost the same thing as Far Cry, only with slightly better graphics (unless you have a super computer and can play it with all details set on High) and it's really short.. Nothing special in my opinion. I prefer Bioshock.. at least the storyline is a bit more original than the one of other FPS. 
What I usually don't enjoy much about FPS is the storyline..And some of them are plainly military propaganda..Don't like that..although they're just games.
What I dislike about recent PC games is that I noticed that too often developers rush to release them when they can still be considered "beta" material.. then, when it comes out,  you get an extremely buggy game which needs tons of updates to run OK, a game that is not really optimized and will run slowly even on the fastest computer in existence, or a game with a really bad ending (cause the company decided they had to release it quickly).. It's all done to make you spend money on the newest pc.. with the newest graphics card.. with the latest system.. Screw that.. I'd rather stick with the older stuff.
And another thing that sucks is that some games get too much publicity, while some good games don't. 

-------------

Date Posted: 08/15/2009 at 18:25
Originally posted by The Fault Line The Fault Line wrote:

I was talking about Doom on the old PSX. You coudn't save and load like that. On the PC versions you could, but you are just taking the challenge outta the game there yourself. 

Playing classic games on new systems really take the challenge of the old games since a lot of times they let you save anywhere. That's dumb because people just then tend to abuse that stuff.

That's true, although probably one of the biggest challenges i took in videogames, was when i played an old game, the original Prince of Persia (the one in 2D).. You had 1 hour time to finish the game and couldn't save. If you died you had to restart the level. Maybe it seemed a challenge to me because i was just a child, but I remember getting upset when I died and realized there were a few minutes left to finish the game.
The traps scared me. 
Fun times.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cuF8cwvoZ8g&feature=related - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cuF8cwvoZ8g&feature=related

-------------

Date Posted: 08/15/2009 at 18:59
Man I dunno I played pretty much every game on the NES, a lot of Atari 2600 games (I actually have a Atari 7800 on the left side of my LCD tv and a PS3 on the right side of my tv). Talk about a huuge generatation gap there. Then yeah I played a whole bunch of Genesis/Snes/PSX/Ps2. As far as PS3 games though I mostly just play sports games on it ha, that's most of my collection for the PS3 anyway.

I remember that name and I'm sure I played it, but I never really got into it. I'm pretty big on RPGs too so I know a lot of obscure rpgs before Final Fantasy VII hit big and still others after it hit.

-------------
(notyoursavior78)

Date Posted: 08/15/2009 at 19:18
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pFlcqWQVVuU- 9721989 views

-------------

Date Posted: 08/15/2009 at 21:29
There are some shooters with good stories...Deus Ex, System Shock, BioShock...Condemned: Criminal Origins had a good one as well even if it isn't really a shooter.

-------------

Date Posted: 08/16/2009 at 02:06
Originally posted by ThiagoSF87 ThiagoSF87 wrote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pFlcqWQVVuU- 9721989 views

haha, i've seen that before, too funny

-------------

Date Posted: 08/16/2009 at 02:54
Prince of Persia is one of my all time favorites. I hated the first fight with the swordman when I was young and I still hate it :D
I even downloaded the game to my webfolder in high school so I could play it from every computer in there. I remember when I was playing it when we had a substitute teacher in health education and we held presentations in groups. Of course I was playing Prince of Persia with those beeping DOS-sounds, haha.
The substitute teacher said we can play if we don't talk and disturb others. I loved the face of people when I opened for example doors in the game. BEEP, BEEP, BEEP. Talk about dying...

-------------

Date Posted: 08/16/2009 at 08:44
oh ok so the original POP :P nice

i love lucasarts and sierraonline games... talk about dying..try space quests.

i used to work in oakhurst at the main sierra online building under roberta williams and ken (her hubby)
now retired..

old advents and rpgs are my bag.. but pop is a classic.. and they even did a nice job on sands of time remake but the rest are shat.
as for the bards tale re go.. its not a remake and its got some generic top down dnd angle.. but you add carey ewles.(SP) from princess bride  and ill buy anything he is in :P

even old shooters rocked.. ROTT... rise of the triad for you non geeks..
hexen... blood.. blood 2.. etc and yes DEuS EX is great.. part 1 anyway part 2 is well meh
and another FPS RPG that got passed over is ArX Fatalis
RPG .. anachronox... i also know tom hall.. and american mcgee.. well used to know american before he got bigger.. back when he and tom were programing levels on doom..

which they have both said was the worst game and experience of their lives

tom also made comander keen.. for those that know it :P

-------------

Date Posted: 08/16/2009 at 10:15

Well, I guess it all depends on your taste on games.

I really love games like pong and tetris! You know, the games that you can keep on playing forever, because there's no end to them.

When I play tetris on my old NES, I put it on pause when I go to bed and when I want to play again, I just turn it on again.

And I'm absolutely in LOVE with the old marios! Not the new 3D ones, fuck that shit. 

And Sonic is great too.

-------------

Date Posted: 08/16/2009 at 10:32
badrelgnsf, have you tried Companions of Xanth. It is an adventure/point & click/rpg kind of game. It's not that difficult game but it sure is too damn witty. Starting from the begin when you have to choose your companion in the adventure...

-------------

Date Posted: 08/16/2009 at 11:23
have i tried xanth! i own it and love it, i also used to do in house testing with westwood studios before its doom...which i bring up due to kyrandia (if you liked xanth)

i own the insane box sets for all might and magic as well..... :P
all sierra lucasarts and westwood games.. like lands of lore.. even the newer buggy 12 disc ones..
stuff like planescape torment and baldurs gate 1 and 2.. etc
thief... 1 2 and if i try hard 3 ..
all the old eidos stuff..
and SYSTEM SHOCK 1 .. was the best.. 2 blew me out of the water as well but for its time .. 1 was insane..
cybershock .. all fps with rpg styles

and baird.. i love tetris and marios.. check the ds and wii remakes of the 2d ones.. they are still 2d with some 3d effect..

and i cant agree with you ,.. mario 64 is the uber rox;... but all after that fall short.. even sunshine..

-------------

Date Posted: 08/16/2009 at 12:11
I never like Mario 64 myself, but I never owned a N64 when that game came out either, but it was also a time periodwhen I felt game makers were being forced to make 3D games and a lot of times they just weren't very good. I'm sure Mario 64 was good, but it wasn't my bag.

Those old Sonic games were good and I always loved stuff like, Frogger heh I'll post a link since someone else did so I don't feel like a tool.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vCrCWRYOFS4 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vCrCWRYOFS4

My favorite internet game review show, it has been rapidly gaining popularity and is international too :)

-------------
(notyoursavior78)

Date Posted: 08/16/2009 at 13:53

oh ok so the original POP :P nice

i love lucasarts and sierraonline games... talk about dying..try space quests.

i used to work in oakhurst at the main sierra online building under roberta williams and ken (her hubby)
now retired..

old advents and rpgs are my bag.. but pop is a classic.. and they even did a nice job on sands of time remake but the rest are shat.
as for the bards tale re go.. its not a remake and its got some generic top down dnd angle.. but you add carey ewles.(SP) from princess bride  and ill buy anything he is in :P

even old shooters rocked.. ROTT... rise of the triad for you non geeks..
hexen... blood.. blood 2.. etc and yes DEuS EX is great.. part 1 anyway part 2 is well meh
and another FPS RPG that got passed over is ArX Fatalis
RPG .. anachronox... i also know tom hall.. and american mcgee.. well used to know american before he got bigger.. back when he and tom were programing levels on doom..

which they have both said was the worst game and experience of their lives

tom also made comander keen.. for those that know it :P

I loved lucas arts games.. especially monkey islands (don't like the 4th one much anyway, it just isn't the same thing), loom, indiana jones and the fate of atlantis, etc. I think I haven't liked the humour in a game as much as I did with the one of those games. Speaking of point and click games, i also liked Broken Sword 1 & 2. As for Sierra games, i think i just played King's Quest V, which seemed kinda hard when it came out, i was still a kid. 
Yeah, the original PoP managed to create an atmosphere even with the 8-bit sounds. It was great. 
Sands of time was cool, but i can say the same thing i said about Escape from monkey island.. It just doesn't seem like the same game, in 3D. But i enjoyed it anyway. 
I remember Rise of the Triad, i liked it. It was pretty gory though, it shocked me as a child :D
I know it sucks, but I've never finished Deus Ex. It ran slowly on my computer when it came out. I think i'll replay it soon.
And I remember Commander Keen, i played the 4th one. Nice platform game. I think it was an Apogee game. It looks like I played almost all of the Apogee games of that time (Wolfenstein 3D, Keen, Bio Menace, Blake Stone, Monster Bash, etc.)

-------------

Date Posted: 08/16/2009 at 14:06

I loved lucas arts games.. especially monkey islands (don't like the 4th one much anyway, it just isn't the same thing), loom, indiana jones and the fate of atlantis, etc.

Yeah me too, discovered them with Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade, but my favorite scenario was Day of the Tentacle.
Another great adventure game, though not Lucas, so it was more serious was Shadow of the Comet (in HP Lovecraft universe, Cthulhu etc ...)

-------------

Date Posted: 08/16/2009 at 14:06

Oh, just for the people here who'd like to Play Deus Ex on their laptops or their Vista computers:

Deus Ex works on Vista.

-------------

Date Posted: 08/16/2009 at 14:42
vista is dead .. has been since day uno.. if you have it.. format to xp or get win 7 when things start supporting it :P

and yes.. it does work on vista.. if you know what to do.. and dont have screwy codecs

-------------

Posted By: Warstub
Date Posted: 08/18/2009 at 02:00
Casual gamer, but a big fan of Prince Of Persia. Haven't played Two Thrones yet though. Waiting for holidays.

-------------
http://warstub.weebly.com/novels.html" rel="nofollow - http://warstub.weebly.com/novels.html
Nothing can bring a person into adulthood except their own sense of self and the personal responsibility that accompanies that.

Posted By: Viktor
Date Posted: 08/18/2009 at 02:47
I'm very casual gamer. I haven't played for three years.

-------------
They said that islands were solid as bedrock standing firm forevermore, but over time even basement wastes away to the unrelenting shore

Posted By: che sus
Date Posted: 08/18/2009 at 06:34
Originally posted by LV97 LV97 wrote:

I loved lucas arts games.. especially monkey islands (don't like the 4th one much anyway, it just isn't the same thing), loom, indiana jones and the fate of atlantis, etc.

Yeah me too, discovered them with Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade, but my favorite scenario was Day of the Tentacle.
Another great adventure game, though not Lucas, so it was more serious was Shadow of the Comet (in HP Lovecraft universe, Cthulhu etc ...)

Damn Last Crusade was a hard game, they don't make them like that anymore.

-------------

Date Posted: 08/18/2009 at 08:07
Something i noticed. I was logged from the pc at work, and could vote again there for the poll, which was strange since had voted and ofc i didn't vote again. Now at home it seems like i have voted, won't allow me. So is it something with the adresses/can it be fixed to work on account basis?

-------------

Posted By: Marty
Date Posted: 08/18/2009 at 08:20
Although the option to vote appears to be available when you login on a different computer (or a different browser on the same system even), the forum will not allow you to do so. When you try to vote for a second time you will see a message about having voted already.

-------------

Date Posted: 08/18/2009 at 08:39
I see, thanks for explaining.

-------------

Date Posted: 08/18/2009 at 09:35
Originally posted by che sus che sus wrote:

Damn Last Crusade was a hard game, they don't make them like that anymore.

I don't remember it was so hard and I was really young, like 9 or 10.
But there was a really difficult part on my copy, it was somewhere in the end of the catacombs when it said something like "Disk failure, could not read .... file" ...

(I think I finished it later when I've been able to download it fron an "abandoned softwares" site.)

-------------

Date Posted: 08/18/2009 at 09:40
9 or 10 .. ack...
you use real disks still??
let me know the games recently came back on STEAM under a new ver of scummvm..

all lucasarts might follow... including the SE of monkey island that just came out..

abandoned softwares? indiana jones never has been on that list mate.. LOL its  copyrighted from here to tomorrow.. never ever ever been abandoned ware.. or free ware...

underdogs DID have it on for a while.. but lucas demanded it back ( for obvioious reasons now) .. steam...

-------------

Date Posted: 08/18/2009 at 10:14
I have no idea if it was "abandonned ware", but it was on such a site (a swiss if I remember well)

-------------

Date Posted: 08/18/2009 at 10:56
haha yea.. no worries... lucas wont come after you.. in fact they didnt really care until recently as steam is putting the oldies back...

i have a scummvm set on DVD made long time ago.. with 3 versions of like every game.. FM towns of zak mckracken and others ... sam n max etc... every game made..

full throttle isnt to be missed btw... nor is grim fandango.(one of my all time fav games but least fav controller schemes on keyboard)

-------------

Date Posted: 08/18/2009 at 11:30
Yeah fighting the nazis in the castle was so damn hard

-------------

Date Posted: 09/21/2009 at 08:57
Jay Bentley reminds me of Solid Snake from Metal Gear Solid.

-------------

Date Posted: 09/21/2009 at 09:59
Only Metal Gear I played is Snake's Revenge on NES, pretty hard game.

-------------

Date Posted: 09/21/2009 at 14:00

Never heard of it

-------------

Date Posted: 09/21/2009 at 14:44
metal gear... the original.. you never heard of metal gear?

back in the day it was sorta top down.. like GTA was before it went 3rd person..
ok more a top/3rd person.. still that game rocks harder than its original... metal gears for consoles now just stinko

double dragon anyone?

-------------

Date Posted: 09/21/2009 at 15:22
Oh yeah. I played it for the game boy.

-------------

Posted By: tommy
Date Posted: 09/21/2009 at 15:49
I played Simcity 4 a couple of weeks ago. For 1 week I thought it was good entertainment. I only play games when I have absolutely nothing to do. When my internet fails, I play a game sometimes. When I was a kid I played Wolfenstein 3D, Duke Nukem 1, 2 and 3D. Need For Speed 2,3,4 and 5 and I like all GTA's. So I vote for option number 2

-------------

Date Posted: 09/21/2009 at 17:03
Originally posted by tommy tommy wrote:

I played Wolfenstein 3D

That game was insane.

-------------

Posted By: HomerSapien
Date Posted: 09/21/2009 at 23:39
Originally posted by n1ckb0n3z n1ckb0n3z wrote:

I will never play a Metal Gear Solid game the same way ever again...

-------------
One Nation Under God: One man against a nation

Date Posted: 09/22/2009 at 10:26
Originally posted by HomerSapien HomerSapien wrote:

I will never play a Metal Gear Solid game the same way ever again...

good!

-------------

Posted By: HugeFanOfBadReligion
Date Posted: 09/22/2009 at 12:30
I love video games. I considered myself a hardcore gamer in the poll, but I think I'm in between hardcore and casual. I don't go to video game conventions or anything, but I'll play video games when I have the time. Lately, I only have time to play video games on weekends and on some weekdays when I don't have lots of homework, but me not having homework is very rare. My favourite game is Fallout 3, I just love it because it is somewhat shooter-ish, but not really, but you can be whoever, whatever, however you want to be. I have done everything possible in Fallout 3, every single option in the story line, every single mission, found every weapon (including the Experimental MIRV), and everything else. Right now I'm playing Saints Row 2, and I am planning on getting Batman: Arkham Asylum soon (Man that game is epic). I prefer shooters. I didn't find out about Bad Religion through Tony Hawk though. I played those games when I was probably in grade 2, but I never looked up Bad Religion or any other bands from that game.

-------------
20 million starving, and writhing in pain: Let them eat war!

Date Posted: 09/23/2009 at 12:30
grade 2? wow.. im old... thanks ! love that reflection haha..

game is sorta new in terms of games,
i programmed games on my c64 and loved my amiga... know what those are? lol

aahhh.

-------------

Date Posted: 09/23/2009 at 13:04

It might not have been during grade 2, I have a bad memory, but probably grade 2 to grade 4.

-------------

Date Posted: 09/23/2009 at 17:03
I'm pretty big on games... So much so, that I run a website dedicated to skits, videos, and music surrounding them.

All in a comedic fashion, of course. Because anything serious in that field just sucks.

-------------

Date Posted: 09/23/2009 at 21:15
someone said video games suck lol

i bet that poll is a person born before vid games :P jkjk

-------------

Posted By: nropevolI
Date Posted: 09/24/2009 at 04:22

I think I voted for that. I did play some games, but now I haven't played a game for years. Music is a way better hobby

-------------

Date Posted: 09/24/2009 at 06:29
Originally posted by nropevolI nropevolI wrote:

Music is a way better hobby

I don't even think video games is a hobby anymore. It's safe to say that it's an addiction.

-------------

Date Posted: 09/24/2009 at 06:39
badrelgnsf, Amiga was the BEST! My friend's older brother had it and man did we spend time with it? Too much...My favorite games were Lotus Turbo Challenge -series and Wayne Gretzky Hockey :P

-------------

Date Posted: 09/24/2009 at 09:01

Never heard of it

It's sorta what ITU is for BR, it's not recognized as a true game in the series or whatever but it had awesome music.

-------------

Date Posted: 09/24/2009 at 09:22
Sometimes I like to play old games. At the moment I'm playing Jagged Alliance 2 for the PC.

-------------

Date Posted: 09/24/2009 at 12:17
you using the JA2 update packs with language patch? some russian or something made a bug fix pack for JA 2 so lemme know if you want and or need it :P

love the ja series... hehe

interesting comparing metal gear to itu... it would be more like hchbaw as its the first.. but i get your point.

music is a better hobby? ok well you wont get arguement there, in the morale sense, esp these days with this music and these cruddy games.
but back in the day it was reversed... better tunes(not as much about killing oneself over a woman or rapping about bling)
to me I am starting to come to the realization that its better to only listen to bands that are dead or never playing again just to avoid drama :P
so i vote games... vs music ... and our capatilistic nature would agree... music makes what 1/10 of what games do (mainly due to console sales)

-------------

Date Posted: 09/24/2009 at 15:40
Originally posted by UbiqueDaemon UbiqueDaemon wrote:

badrelgnsf, Amiga was the BEST! My friend's older brother had it and man did we spend time with it? Too much...My favorite games were Lotus Turbo Challenge -series and Wayne Gretzky Hockey :P

yeah we had it too.. not a single original game wich pretty much meant they were all bugged as hell:D
The best were Oil Imperium, Dogs Of War, North & South, Lemmings, PP Hammer, Rick Dangerous 2, James Pond 2, Sim City, King's Quest, Rainbow Islands, Kick Off and of course IK Karate+..

-------------

Posted By: nropevolI
Date Posted: 09/25/2009 at 03:23

but back in the day it was reversed... better tunes(not as much about killing oneself over a woman or rapping about bling)

LOL . very true

-------------

Posted By: Gravel
Date Posted: 09/26/2009 at 11:57
I've put 107 hours thus far into Final Fantasy Dissidia and I anticipate many more.

-------------
The greats weren't great because at birth they could paint; the greats were great because they paint a lot!

Date Posted: 09/26/2009 at 14:49
sadly gravel i dont own psp :( i do own the game though, as well as ps3 and 360 games without owning those consoles either..
call me nuts, but i wont open the games ever... EVEN THE CELLOPHANEEE lol

107 hours.. wow... my top played hrs wise would be morrowind + expansions for a total of 468 hrs on one character without mods, later with mods (me making houses and doors that lead everywhere, it was cut to like 100 ish doing everything the same. but I made roads in the sky and doors in the ground that lead you to shops of major cities lol.)

console wise .. im pushing for something like suikoden series for hrs being maxed.. just due to the ammount of people you can attain max and upgrade
180+ hrs easy..

-------------

Date Posted: 09/28/2009 at 09:13
My friend has had dissidia since the day it came out and already logged 260+ hours and counting.  Unreal.

I think Morrowwind and Oblivion are shit games.  Though I did spend a good amount of time modding both, and had fun with that part.  The actual games suck ass.  So does Fallout 3.  I really dislike Bethesda.

I don't know how many hours I've put into it, but I have been playing Warcraft 3 online more or less daily since the Frozen Throne came out, and I've probably put hundreds if not thousands of hours into it.  Hell, I *still* play it online almost every day.

-------------
The greats weren't great because at birth they could paint; the greats were great because they paint a lot!

Date Posted: 09/28/2009 at 12:59
morrowind.. never ever sucked ass...

ever... it was a HUGE EXPANSIVE WORLD.. where as ill agree about oblivion.
you dislike bethesda... odd as they made some of the best oldies around.

as for BLIZZARD and warcraft 3, you are obviously brainwashed and biased sorry gravel

without hereos warcraft 3 would have rocked.. add them.. game is ruined... wc1 and 2 rock..

FALLOUT 3 BLOWS... morrowind .. does NOT.. same with daggerfall, arena.. (ok yea redguard sucked) but if you dont know these games you cant judge beth'

at least you modded the games tho

RTS online players usually ... well hate everything else but sports and or rts...

-------------

Date Posted: 09/28/2009 at 13:02
Why is everyone saying Fallout 3 is bad? I loved Fallout 3, probably my favourite game of all time. Game of the Year Edition is coming out soon, which comes with all the DLC's so I've gotta get it. Has anyone played Arkham Asylum? I just got it this weekend and it's amazing.

-------------

Date Posted: 09/28/2009 at 13:08
fallout 3 was just oblivion with crapped dumped into it.
the main plot can be beat in less than 6 hrs if you know how to build characters, and there is no real point to explore the other areas as they dont net you much you cant live without.

also a huge fact you cant continue your game after main quest line is over nor cutsomize your character in any way shap or form.
they game is a huge world that makes you walk miles to get to one place that had nothing there.. much like oblivion, only larger.. and it didnt work for oblivion. (more quests, open it for mods, and tadaaaa the game will ROCK) GOTY .. spit!!!
all these shit games getting game of the year makes me sick

for the arkham asylum... look in the arkham thread... that game was also a major disappointment.. though far better than warcraft 3... and we shouldnt restart the flame in this thread lol

-------------

Date Posted: 09/28/2009 at 14:24
Fallout 3 have none of the originals charms or atmosphere, and only an empty shell of the formers gameplay. it plays just like any other dime-a-dozen dumb shooter out there. The story was not impressive to say least. As a standalone game it's ok but not more.

Morrowind I thought was pretty good actually, because it felt as they had done some effort to add uniqueness to places. Like in the first town you could find a magic dagger and some coins in a stump, you could always find little places like that and unique items an whatnot. In Oblivion all is just copy pasted, level-scaled generic boredom, you never find any special places with unique stuff. The gates were boring as hell.

-------------

Date Posted: 09/28/2009 at 14:35

they game is a huge world that makes you walk miles to get to one place that had nothing there.. much like oblivion, only larger..
I can see why you guys don't like the game for the reasons that you explained, but it's still a good game for me. Like you said badrelgnsf the game is huge and you have to walk long distances, and most people would not like that, but I enjoy games like that because I can be obsessive sometimes and most games won't let me do small things that take forever but Fallout does. Also I enjoy the whole Karma thing and how you can have your own sense of morality rather than the main characters morality in first person shooters.

-------------

Date Posted: 09/28/2009 at 14:55

morrowind.. never ever sucked ass...

ever... it was a HUGE EXPANSIVE WORLD.. where as ill agree about oblivion.
you dislike bethesda... odd as they made some of the best oldies around.

as for BLIZZARD and warcraft 3, you are obviously brainwashed and biased sorry gravel

without hereos warcraft 3 would have rocked.. add them.. game is ruined... wc1 and 2 rock..

FALLOUT 3 BLOWS... morrowind .. does NOT.. same with daggerfall, arena.. (ok yea redguard sucked) but if you dont know these games you cant judge beth'

at least you modded the games tho

RTS online players usually ... well hate everything else but sports and or rts...

I'm very familiar with Bethesda - I've played through Morrowwind a couple times trying to find the magic that people always refer to, and I've played around with Daggerfall a bunch, though never completed it.  I hate hate hate "open world" games - I prefer the pace created by deliberately stated goals and stages.  I have a similar complaint about shooters that allow you to save anywhere - it definitely removes the focus laid out by a development team.  [edit:  Bethesda games are also brutally buggy, they have terrible quality control]

And even if Morrowwind has an "open, expansive" world, you're still limited by atrocious dialogue and shoddy role-playing.  I'll stick to Torment...

As for WC3, I agree fully - heroes changed the game drastically and not in a good way.  However, I have never been a ladder player - I'm a huge DOTA player and so forth.  Custom maps ftw.

As for your final comment, I'm hurt that you'd make such a blanket assumption about my tastes. :(  RTS isn't even my favorite genre, I'm a 2d platformer to the core.  And I generally prefer the flavor of indie games to the big blockbusters.

-------------

Date Posted: 09/28/2009 at 22:06
gravel you  just said you only like linear gameplay, only with 2 paragraphs instead of one sentence lol

you like linear non open play, you might as well stick to microsofts consoles... and pc ports from them.. those are the only FAKE linear games (like assassins creed... people say its non linear, but it really is) dont know about 2..

also you claim to have info on how games are developed and the intent of the developers... I have some experience in this arena working for small names like sierra online and lucasarts, and even tested for bethsoft..ahem bethesda
morrowind while buggy had an open mod set (for pc) as well as commands to give you so NO bug could EVER bother you.
at this rate, like the future of fallout 3, USERS will be fixing the bugs, not the devs. its not lazy, its just .. faster.. lol  but maybe you dont know about this area of game dev idk
I do however agree the later titles, after firing most of the original staff, TWICE, bethesda has gone downhill.
Hope good in the future but yeaa not lookin pretty.

It just seems you want the what i call, pop me off games.. meaning, you do X and then it saves at a
checkpoint vs anywhere.
this is lame... and redundant... if a game has CHECK points, its the same AS save anywhere ONLY adding the horror of doing 100 times the work to get back to the near end of the check point every time.

tsk tsk..

as for my last comment.. notice i said USUALLY :P and not something like ALWAYS...

-------------

Posted By: MONOLITH
Date Posted: 09/29/2009 at 12:24
My 1st post on this thread..
 The only console I've got at home is an old NES with none of any good games on that one..
Mostly (I've got MKombat1 on a controller that you can directly plug into the TV too) that I play on is my cpu.
 My fave games would be HL1&2, Max Payne1&2. I usually don't follow the new trends in gaming so I barely know what the fuck WoW stands for. I could play games like Serious Sam and Unreal Tournament until everyone drops dead. I've been hooked on MKombat games too forever, I could blame Street Fighter II on Amiga for that one... -:D

-------------
Bombarded by multiple choices 24/7 - Navigating a tangled web of logic and passion...

Date Posted: 09/29/2009 at 14:03
max payne 2? woah, thats a first... i loved one, same with half life ..1 rocked 2 was just.. ok

serious sam as well... new one blew old original rocked,   mkombat was fun but i was a killer instinct lover,

-------------

Posted By: MONOLITH
Date Posted: 09/30/2009 at 12:08

max payne 2? woah, thats a first... i loved one, same with half life ..1 rocked 2 was just.. ok

serious sam as well... new one blew old original rocked,   mkombat was fun but i was a killer instinct lover,

MP2...Fffwaaah!! Mona Sax was fuckin' hot!! *drool*
<3 ( : -

-------------
Bombarded by multiple choices 24/7 - Navigating a tangled web of logic and passion...

Date Posted: 09/30/2009 at 12:27
I agree with badrelgnsf, the sequels were just okish. Best things were Mona Sax and Gravity Gun :D

-------------

Posted By: Marty
Date Posted: 10/01/2009 at 10:53
I also had a lot of fun playing both Max Payne games. I hope there'll be a good third one.

Just finished Bionic Commando on PS3 (great game.. and definitely worth a sequel) and have now started on Ghostbusters and IL-2 Sturmovik, both on PS3.
I absolutely can't wait for the new Ratchet & Clank game... soooooo addictive :s

I used to be a die-hard PC gamer (and actually making fun of people who were only playing consoles), but ever since I bought my own house and moved my computer stuff to a separate room, I switched to playing PS3 games only. Am I now "one of them"?

-------------

Date Posted: 10/01/2009 at 13:53
i actually hope they RE DO max payne as well.. part 2 just didnt do the game justice,
and yes mona was hot, does that make the game rock.

ghostbusters BLEW on wii, and on other consoles it was just far to short and to predictable to be any use.
(dont know why you had to revisit the old areas, but it seemed to... over produced)

marty .. one of them? lol you like a ps3, its pretty much a pc,
if you liked 360 wed have a talk lol

-------------

Date Posted: 10/01/2009 at 15:25
I thought HL1 & MP1 was best too.. HL2 was just a tech demo with non existant story
also both Max and Mona were uglier in MP2 imo lol

Originally posted by Marty Marty wrote:

I also had a lot of fun playing both Max Payne games. I hope there'll be a good third one.

I read that Max Payne 3 will have max being old fat and bald(!) in warmer climate.. sounds retarded.

and what Bionic commando do you mean? The original platformer or the third person abomination ?

-------------

Date Posted: 10/01/2009 at 17:56
a bloated out max payne! omg fat and bald!
then i would vote for it LOL

call it,

Im in Payne
the max story... lol

-------------

Date Posted: 10/01/2009 at 21:01
Originally posted by Marty Marty wrote:

Just finished Bionic Commando on PS3 (great game.. and definitely worth a sequel)

Agreed, but there is no hope for a third game, as the studio who developed it, Grin, closed down.

Also, Half-Life 2 was amazing! What are you guys talking about? I mean, the first will never be surpassed, but the sequel definitely did the first one justice.

-------------

Date Posted: 10/01/2009 at 22:05
the 2nd was a falsely lead non linear world, it wanted you to think it was open, but it was confined.
the plot was wank wank, and the whole GAME itself just didnt make much sense on how it played out.
the only part i liked was the intro when you get brought into the world, but after that its all just flares bells and whistles that are just there to distract you from the fact that the game is just plain ole.. plain.

even the AWESOME or said awesome AI fails at almost every point in the game.. sit in distance.. snipe.. watch them run around.. snipe... run around.. repeat forever..
zzzz

-------------

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 10.11 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2012 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk