Print Page | Close Window

3 Perfect Albums: Choose

Printed From: The Bad Religion Page
Category: General
Forum Name: Bad Religion
Forum Description: Come join us! Talk about all things BR related here.
URL: http://www.thebrpage.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=8816
Printed Date: 09/17/2019 at 07:53
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 10.11 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: 3 Perfect Albums: Choose
Posted By: Watcho!
Subject: 3 Perfect Albums: Choose
Date Posted: 06/20/2019 at 23:41
Gimme three totally unfuckwithable BR records;

- zero complaints
- 100% awesome song ratio
- no debate
- ready to defend every song to the death

I mean, y’all can debate it, but there’s no debate for the poster. This BR fan will die on the hill of the 3 perfect albums.

Go:’

-------------
I think this is a post we can redo In every language of every country we go to

Replies:
Posted By: coop
Date Posted: 06/21/2019 at 02:11
There is always that one song.. won't somebody, 10 in 2010, chaos from within. I quess empire strikes first is closest to perfection.

-------------

Posted By: dv802
Date Posted: 06/21/2019 at 05:11
Stranger Than Fiction (perfect album to me)
No Control 
Process of Belief

-------------

Posted By: Groomits
Date Posted: 06/21/2019 at 05:17
Originally posted by dv802 dv802 wrote:

No Control 
Process of Belief

Same.

-------------

Date Posted: 06/21/2019 at 05:41
No control has sanity. Stf has What it is and Television. Process is maybe there with empire

-------------

Posted By: n1ckb0n3z
Date Posted: 06/21/2019 at 05:50
It's tough because every album has one song that I can do without. I'm going say that these three albums are the ones I would be stoked to see live in their entirety without getting bored in the middle of the set. It's different when you're listening to a record through headphones or in your car. It's easy to mentally take yourself somewhere else to deal with the filler songs on an album. 

1. No Substance
2. ATG
3. No Control

-------------
I want BR to play Anesthesia in every language at every country they go to.

Posted By: MichaelB
Date Posted: 06/21/2019 at 06:54
I don't think there's any album by any band that I think is completely perfect. BR-wise, I would probably say TESF, No Control and The Process of Belief are the ones that are closest to being flawless.
Then there are albums like True North that have one song that I usually skip (Popular Consensus).

-------------
'Jesus/why'd you have to go and do that/Jesus/where'd you go and get those strange ideas'

Posted By: torbar
Date Posted: 06/21/2019 at 07:32
Suffer
Empire
No Control

-------------

Posted By: Joe Dawson
Date Posted: 06/21/2019 at 09:02
 1. Age of Unreason
 2. Age of Unreason 
 And the third, now that's a tough one...
 3. Age of Unreason

Date Posted: 06/21/2019 at 11:03
Close to perfection, but Big Black Dog...

-------------

Posted By: Robo Pilgrim
Date Posted: 06/21/2019 at 14:35
Generator
Suffer
Process

-------------
Go on take a swig of that poison and like it

Posted By: Warstub
Date Posted: 06/21/2019 at 20:23
Well, here's the thing. STF, Empire, & AtG have always been my favourites, but yeah they do have their weak songs. Over the years, I've found the one album that I have found the most listenable as a full album, is Suffer. I think Suffer's one weakness is that it is too consistent - all the songs pretty much sound the same.

-------------
http://warstub.weebly.com/novels.html" rel="nofollow - http://warstub.weebly.com/novels.html
Nothing can bring a person into adulthood except their own sense of self and the personal responsibility that accompanies that.

Posted By: Chainofslowdecay
Date Posted: 06/21/2019 at 20:43
No Control is the closest to perfect IMO. I agree Sanity may not be an A+ song but I don't think it is an awful song either. The rest of that album is relentlessly amazing. 

If Markovian Process and News From The Front were used rather than Television and What It Is on STF, I'd call that album near perfect. Still can't believe those songs got voted down.

Honestly anything from HCHBAW to Gray Race are "non skip" records for me. Are there a couple "B" songs on most of those records? Sure. Anything post GR has several B and/or sub-B songs on it, and for me, some skips. 

So that is my long-winded answer: there aren't 3. 

Date Posted: 06/21/2019 at 21:07
Also I noticed a lot of mention of TPoB and TESF. I love those records, but personally I think songs like Destined For Nothing, The Lie, Broken, even Kyoto Now!... and All There Is, To Another Abyss and even Los Angeles Is Burning or the title track on Empire are kinda "meh" songs. Certainly compared to the other, stronger songs on those records. None of those are "this is where the fun is" skip-worthy bad, but they keep those records from perfection IMO. 

Posted By: CleverScreenName
Date Posted: 06/22/2019 at 02:31
Suffer
Generator
TPoB

Posted By: barrelman
Date Posted: 06/22/2019 at 02:46
Originally posted by dv802 dv802 wrote:

No Control 
Process of Belief

Yup.

I always sight them 3 albums and Recipe for Hate as the "Tier A" albums.

-------------

Posted By: Marty
Date Posted: 06/22/2019 at 02:50
Easy...

Against The Grain
Stranger Than Fiction
The Gray Race

Posted By: Viktor
Date Posted: 06/22/2019 at 04:32
Generator is the only album on which I do not skip any songs.

-------------
They said that islands were solid as bedrock standing firm forevermore, but over time even basement wastes away to the unrelenting shore

Posted By: Priesterseminar
Date Posted: 06/22/2019 at 06:25
Tpob
Generator
Recipe

-------------
"with nothing better to do"

Posted By: punkrockjustin
Date Posted: 06/22/2019 at 12:05
No Control
Suffer
Against the Grain

Honorable mention: Christmas Songs

-------------
   \m/.(><).\m/
┌∩┐(◕_◕)┌∩┐

Date Posted: 06/22/2019 at 13:53
Originally posted by n1ckb0n3z n1ckb0n3z wrote:

It's tough because every album has one song that I can do without. I'm going say that these three albums are the ones I would be stoked to see live in their entirety without getting bored in the middle of the set. It's different when you're listening to a record through headphones or in your car. It's easy to mentally take yourself somewhere else to deal with the filler songs on an album. 

1. No Substance
2. ATG
3. No Control

I always forget about No Substance!  Not in my top three, but I really like how the guitars sound on that record.  Heavy.  It's Bad Religion's metal album.

-------------
   \m/.(><).\m/
┌∩┐(◕_◕)┌∩┐

Posted By: BFY
Date Posted: 06/23/2019 at 13:10
No Control
Against the Grain
Stranger Than Fiction

you'd better believe it, cause it's written all over my face

-------------
"Growing Old, Growing Cold"

Date Posted: 06/24/2019 at 01:17
Atg, faith alone. Yuck.

Empire
Process
Generator

That's it.

-------------

Date Posted: 06/24/2019 at 05:59
Originally posted by coop coop wrote:

Atg, faith alone. Yuck.

Empire
Process
Generator

That's it.
No. Operation Rescue and unacceptable - meh and skippable. And for a long time Misery and Famine was skippable as well. The Lie on TPoB is boring as fuck.

But I do agree about Empire, it is the closest to perfection. With the variety of songwriting, it still maintains consistency in quality (even if the title song is kinda stupid), whereas I don't feel any other album does that. STF and Suffer are the most consistent with having great songs, but there's basically no variety (Not saying that's a bad thing - STF is my fav with ATG, but as an argument for this subject, containing little variety).

-------------
http://warstub.weebly.com/novels.html" rel="nofollow - http://warstub.weebly.com/novels.html
Nothing can bring a person into adulthood except their own sense of self and the personal responsibility that accompanies that.

Posted By: Bad_Brett
Date Posted: 06/24/2019 at 12:13
Empire
Recipe for Hate
Process

Honorable mention: New America

-------------

Posted By: Amoeba
Date Posted: 06/25/2019 at 02:35
The Gray Race
Against The Grain
Process of Belief...

Almost made the top 3 : No Substance

Seriously, no Gray Race for anyone ? It's the best record of all time !

-------------
I'm on a boat that doesn't float and i can't swim...

Posted By: MichaelB
Date Posted: 06/25/2019 at 04:02
Originally posted by Amoeba Amoeba wrote:

The Gray Race
Against The Grain
Process of Belief...

The Gray Race is probably in my BR top five. 

-------------
'Jesus/why'd you have to go and do that/Jesus/where'd you go and get those strange ideas'

Date Posted: 06/25/2019 at 05:44

The Gray Race
Against The Grain
Process of Belief...

10 in 2010 ruins the perfect 100% song ratio whatever that means.

-------------

Date Posted: 06/25/2019 at 08:17
2nd half of The Grey Race is weak. The album sounds great production-wise, but the songs aren't consistently as good as STF or Empire.

-------------

Posted By: Guns
Date Posted: 06/25/2019 at 10:56
No control
Suffer
True North

-------------

Date Posted: 06/25/2019 at 12:09
Originally posted by Guns Guns wrote:

No control
Suffer
True North
Acceptable

-------------

Posted By: DaymanVersusNightman
Date Posted: 06/25/2019 at 14:03
True North
True North 
New Maps of Hell

-------------

Posted By: fantasticthepan
Date Posted: 06/25/2019 at 15:35
disagree - cease is a classic br tune. and streets of america, drunk sincerity and spirit shine are pretty good. ten in 2010 and victory are decent. 

i love gray race's production. 

-------------
"bad religion: a faster, more distorted, more political, beatles."--an unknown 21st century poet

Date Posted: 06/26/2019 at 09:16
New maps is also very much close to perfections.

-------------

Date Posted: 06/27/2019 at 03:59

The Gray Race
Against The Grain
Process of Belief...

TGR is one of my top 5 BR Albums.
I love the sound of it!

But I skip Nobody Listens, Spirit Shine, and sometimes 10 in 2010 and The Streets of America, so that 100% song ratio in the OP is not satisfied :)

-------------
They said that islands were solid as bedrock standing firm forevermore, but over time even basement wastes away to the unrelenting shore

Date Posted: 06/27/2019 at 04:05

New maps is also very much close to perfections.

Agree, my favorite BR album after the Atlantic years with 3 fillers ( 52 seconds, Honest Goodbye and Murder)

-------------

Posted By: SPORK
Date Posted: 06/27/2019 at 08:21
1. No Control
2. The Process of Belief
3. The Empire Strikes First/Against The Grain

-------------
I'm not going to stop the wheel
I'm going to break the wheel

Date Posted: 06/27/2019 at 08:51
 My Candidate is Age of Unreason. End of History!

Posted By: Metmass
Date Posted: 06/29/2019 at 08:25
Interesting that people call ATG a perfect album. IMO it has more subpar/filler songs than either Suffer, No Control or even Generator. Blenderhead, Positive Aspect, Faith Alone (sorry, I'd choose Sanity any day of the week), Misery or Famine... All of these don't do much for me. 

Suffer is great. Aside from maybe Part IV, which I never seem to remember, every single song is memorable - no matter how similar they all sound to each other.

My three picks would be:

1. No Control - pretty much a perfect punk record
2. Empire
3. NMOH - may not be a popular opinion but I think I actually love every single song.

I also love Stranger Than Fiction, but I used to hate Television and Hooray For Me. I still think this is not Brett's strongest material (to put it lightly) but they both bring different kind of energy and color to the table, which I grew to enjoy. As for What It Is, I actually like this song a lot, so no problem here.

Date Posted: 06/29/2019 at 08:36
Originally posted by Metmass Metmass wrote:

Interesting that people call ATG a perfect album. IMO it has more subpar/filler songs than either Suffer, No Control or even Generator. Blenderhead, Positive Aspect, Faith Alone (sorry, I'd choose Sanity any day of the week), Misery or Famine... All of these don't do much for me.

Well... we did have to choose 3 perfect albums.  Per the rules given in the OP, I do not accept your dismissal of AtG.

Blenderhead - the story of my life
Positive Aspect - to not like this song is... unacceptable
Faith Alone - heavy riffs, oozin ahs, what's not to like?
Misery and Famine - maybe I like it because I am compelled by a force I cannot see

-------------
   \m/.(><).\m/
┌∩┐(◕_◕)┌∩┐

Date Posted: 06/29/2019 at 09:33
   When i was like 20 - something about 90 % of the fans that i meet
   was saying that  Against The Grain is their favorite album. I was in that rest 10 %.
   28 years old kids have different fashion.
   Now i'm in a little shock that all of you guys are stating that you like all that
   other albums from the 90's.
   Oh well, the times are changing.

Posted By: SPORK
Date Posted: 06/29/2019 at 12:11
ATG..filler songs..GTFO.

-------------
I'm not going to stop the wheel
I'm going to break the wheel

Date Posted: 06/29/2019 at 17:28
Faith alone. Boring as fuck.

-------------

Date Posted: 06/29/2019 at 19:37
Originally posted by Joe Dawson Joe Dawson wrote:

When i was like 20 - something about 90 % of the fans that i meet
   was saying that  Against The Grain is their favorite album. I was in that rest 10 %.
   28 years old kids have different fashion.
   Now i'm in a little shock that all of you guys are stating that you like all that
   other albums from the 90's.
   Oh well, the times are changing.
Isn't this thread about "perfection"? ATG/STF/TESF are my favourites, but I still think ATG lags in the second half with Operation Rescue and Unacceptable being the weakest of the bunch, and although I like Television, it's also pretty weak compared to the rest and the addition of 21st Century Digital Boy ruins an otherwise killer album. TESF is pretty close to perfection in my opinion, but then so is Suffer since I find the songwriting across the board the most consistent. I differ with TPoB as I've always found the second half annoying - The Lie just straight out sucks, and some of the melodies are a bit meh.

So, yeah ATG and STF are still my favourite albums, but no, I don't think they're "perfect" (though STF (with all four b-sides) is close (and minus 21st Century Digital Boy) is perfect).

-------------

Posted By: Harbortown
Date Posted: 06/30/2019 at 02:14
I don't think they have a perfect album, but here are the top contenders:

1. No control
The only bad song here is Sanity. How it even made the album in the first place is beyond me. Even if it were a typical uptempo Bad Religion song, it still wouldn't be that good. Other than that, though, the album is pretty much perfect. Except for the major chords where they should be minor, of course.

2. Empire strikes first
This one has no bad songs, but I feel like the title track is a little weak for a title track, and Live again is kind of a weak closing song. Other than that, it's ridiculous how consistently good this album is.

3. New maps of hell
It was sort of a tie between Stranger than fiction and this one, but ultimately I think NMOH is more or less a perfect record. I could do without Before you die, and I usually skip the title track (Edit: New dark ages) , but I think the songwriting on this record is absolutely phenomenal. 

-------------
https://soundcloud.com/johnzackarias/

Date Posted: 06/30/2019 at 06:33
Misery & Famine never quite did it for me, but Faith Alone is far from boring. 

-------------

Date Posted: 06/30/2019 at 06:43
Originally posted by Robo Pilgrim Robo Pilgrim wrote:

Misery & Famine never quite did it for me, but Faith Alone is far from boring. 
AGREED!!!

Misery & Famine did eventually catrch me though. I like those kicks right before the 3rd verse.

-------------

Date Posted: 06/30/2019 at 07:05
I guess I can sort of see why someone would find Faith alone boring. I think a drummer like Brooks would make it more dynamic and interesting. 

However, I think it's one of the best songs of their career. There's a type of classic rock-vibe to the chord progressions and melodies and the whole song is just this perfect blend between darkness and beauty. At least that's how I see it. 

-------------

Date Posted: 06/30/2019 at 07:47
Misery and famine rules! And what is the title track on new maps?

-------------

Date Posted: 06/30/2019 at 08:11
New Maps has Honest Goodbye and that song sucks almost as much as Prodigal Son.

-------------

Date Posted: 06/30/2019 at 09:29

Misery and famine rules! And what is the title track on new maps?
uhhhhh I meant New dark ages, for whatever reason it's synonymous with a title track in my head

-------------

Date Posted: 06/30/2019 at 09:38

Faith alone. Boring as fuck.

It's more interesting than "You Don't Belong"....

-------------
   \m/.(><).\m/
┌∩┐(◕_◕)┌∩┐

Date Posted: 06/30/2019 at 09:40
I don't really see much of people defending the top 3 to the death in this thread.  Oh well.  It's still a fun thread.

Also.  Anyone who would dare talk shit about AtG, No Control, or Suffer, meet me at the flagpole after school... if you're not too chicken.

-------------
   \m/.(><).\m/
┌∩┐(◕_◕)┌∩┐

Date Posted: 06/30/2019 at 09:41
Originally posted by Marty Marty wrote:

Easy...

Against The Grain
Stranger Than Fiction
The Gray Race
I totally agree.

Date Posted: 06/30/2019 at 09:54
Originally posted by Warstub Warstub wrote:

Those are great songs!

-------------

Date Posted: 07/01/2019 at 08:33

Those are great songs!
No they're not!

-------------

Date Posted: 07/01/2019 at 08:36

Those are great songs!
No they're not!
Actually, I was listening to Honest Goodbye the other day to remind that that yes I still hate it. And I recognised that it had the potential to be a really great song, but it devolves into Brett's formulaic cheesiness. There's a really good guitar part in it, but it sort of flounders and never gets better.

-------------

Date Posted: 07/01/2019 at 09:00

To be honest i'm sorry but to me this topic is just dumb cuz "de gustibus non est disputandum"

(type it in google). One guy likes this album and the other fan another.

It's like asking about the favorite song. it's just your subjective opinion.

Not all the people have to like the same things ( Well, not yet. But wait 10 years... )

Date Posted: 07/01/2019 at 09:11

To be honest i'm sorry but to me this topic is just dumb cuz "de gustibus non est disputandum"

Not all the people have to like the same things ( Well, not yet. But wait 10 years... )

This point is tired. Fans like to discuss. We like to hear (and sometimes don't like to hear) other people's opinions. The whole point of all these threads is to discuss our differing opinions. So it's actually your comment about the thread being dumb that's actually dumb. And pointless.

-------------

Date Posted: 07/01/2019 at 09:13

Have you ever been on an online forum before? Blurting out subjective opinions is like 99% of  what they're for

-------------

Date Posted: 07/01/2019 at 09:27
So I shouldn't share my opinion because someone else will have a different one?

-------------

Date Posted: 07/01/2019 at 09:39
You guys have your opinions. I've got the facts.

-------------

Date Posted: 07/01/2019 at 11:50
    Oh well, i have better things to do than reading your Einstein stuff about Bad Religion in this place...
     It's all very Einstein...

Like P.S. or something...  You all are not share your opinion - your doing "i'm right and you're stupid".
    Guess what,  "i'm right and you're stupid" IS NOT sharing your opinion... 

Date Posted: 07/01/2019 at 11:55
Almost 25 years in and some things never change on this site.

Posted By: friteman
Date Posted: 07/01/2019 at 12:27

This point is tired. Fans like to discuss. We like to hear (and sometimes don't like to hear) other people's opinions. The whole point of all these threads is to discuss our differing opinions. So it's actually your comment about the thread being dumb that's actually dumb. And pointless.

Basically, the "de gustibus" comment is also an opinion... Is it more pointless than any other?

Posted By: friteman
Date Posted: 07/01/2019 at 12:35
Originally posted by Marty Marty wrote:

Almost 25 years in and some things never change on this site.

Admins?

Date Posted: 07/01/2019 at 17:57
Originally posted by friteman friteman wrote:

Basically, the "de gustibus" comment is also an opinion... Is it more pointless than any other?
Yes. It's more pointless, and it's more other.

-------------

Date Posted: 07/01/2019 at 19:33
Aw.  Joe*, this thread is just what I would call a forum game.  It's like a thought exercise, playing devil's advocate... of course we all know there's no "perfect" album.**  We're supposed to choose three "unfuckwithable" records and "defend" them "to the death".  It's pure sarcasm, and also a chance for us to learn a bit about our fellow Bad Religioners.  As for the Einstein bit, I sort of think it takes a modicum of intelligence for anyone to appreciate Bad Religion in any meaningful way--and with intelligence frequently comes a tendency toward intellectual arrogance, I admit.  But again, we are Bad Religioners...  "Mediocre Minds" is one haughty, condescending song, and I suspect there's at least a bit of that in every single one of us here.

One of my other favorite forum games is making a thread where everyone has to "talk" in a pirate dialect.  Avast!  It be downright fun t' be sendin' scallywags down ta Davey Jones Locker!  Arr.  An' what be wrong wi' havin a bit o' fun, ey?

By the way, I didn't see you at the flagpole after school.  Your girlfriend showed up though, and we held hands all the way home.***

I wonder...if video killed the radio star, did twitter kill discussion boards?

----------
*I did do a search for Joe Dawson, but the Hendrix song still gets in my head.
**Except for No Control, Suffer, and Against the Grain.  And Christmas Songs.
***That was also sarcasm.  Your girlfriend didn't hold my hand, she kicked my ass and stuffed me in a trash can full of original pressings of AtG.

-------------
   \m/.(><).\m/
┌∩┐(◕_◕)┌∩┐

Date Posted: 07/02/2019 at 00:06
Originally posted by punkrockjustin punkrockjustin wrote:

It's pure sarcasm
The only reason I come back to this website

-------------

Date Posted: 07/02/2019 at 00:31

Originally posted by punkrockjustin punkrockjustin wrote:

It's pure sarcasm

The only reason I come back to this website

You were away?

-------------

Posted By: Amoeba
Date Posted: 07/02/2019 at 01:26
My opinion is the only one that matters, for one undisputable reason : the world is holographic and you all only exist in my own perception, therefore, your opinions are irrelevant.

#redpill

-------------
I'm on a boat that doesn't float and i can't swim...

Date Posted: 07/02/2019 at 05:49
Originally posted by Harbortown Harbortown wrote:

2. Empire strikes first
This one has no bad songs, but I feel like the title track is a little weak for a title track, and Live again is kind of a weak closing song. Other than that, it's ridiculous how consistently good this album is.

To me, Los Angeles is Burning and Let Them Eat War are weak. Lyrics wise, they are good, but the music is booooring. Live again is one of their worst closer. The Empire Strikes First is another 21st century, where the fun is type of song. Social suicide is blend.

I like the album because you have some gems on it. But it's a very uneven album.

And Joe, why?

-------------

Date Posted: 07/02/2019 at 19:12

My opinion is the only one that matters, for one undisputable reason : the world is holographic and you all only exist in my own perception, therefore, your opinions are irrelevant.

#redpill

Can you take the blue pill now so I can get out of this shit please?

-------------
   \m/.(><).\m/
┌∩┐(◕_◕)┌∩┐

Posted By: Watcho!
Date Posted: 07/10/2019 at 20:59
Thanks for playing, everyone. The correct answer is:

Suffer
Recipe
TPoB

-------------
I think this is a post we can redo In every language of every country we go to

Posted By: miamichael2
Date Posted: 08/05/2019 at 19:40
I'm surprised reading how many people don't like Sanity. One of my favorites, and it's played live every few years it seems.

No Control
Against the Grain
Stranger Than Fiction

-------------

Date Posted: 08/06/2019 at 03:41
Originally posted by Groomits Groomits wrote:

Originally posted by Harbortown Harbortown wrote:

2. Empire strikes first

To me, Los Angeles is Burning and Let Them Eat War are weak. Lyrics wise, they are good, but the music is booooring. Live again is one of their worst closer. The Empire Strikes First is another 21st century, where the fun is type of song. Social suicide is blend.

I like the album because you have some gems on it. But it's a very uneven album.
Ok I will agree that LA is burning is a pretty boring song. It took me years to even stop skipping it and even now it's hardly a favorite. Let them+Live again aren't their strongest efforts but I think those three songs are good enough for me to consider the album to be consistently good. 

-------------

Date Posted: 08/07/2019 at 11:35
I consider LA is Burning and Fuck You the weakest songs on those respective albums, I can't understand why they are considered "hits" and played at almost every show. 

Posted By: CleverScreenName
Date Posted: 08/07/2019 at 13:28
Suffer
STF
TPoB

Game over, go home 

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 10.11 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2012 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk