Forum | The Bad Religion Page - Since 1995 New UTOPIA NOW album out today - The Bad Religion page forum
Quote of the day: "As we outwardly deny that they have something to say, and if we don't confront them they will never go away" - Tiny Voices
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

New UTOPIA NOW album out today

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
noparadigm View Drop Down
Henchman
Henchman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote noparadigm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New UTOPIA NOW album out today
    Posted: 12/03/2012 at 14:20
Hey guys,

since there always was encouragingly positive feedback here on the site with past releases, and since by far most UTOPIA NOW fans are huge Bad Religion fans (and the band has always been compared to BR), I thought some of you might be interested to hear that a "new" album (a collection of hitherto unreleased B-sides) has been released today.

You can stream and download it (and all the other albums/EPs) either via the music tab on the UTOPIA NOW Facebook page (https://www.facebook.com/pages/Utopia-Now/374050797107  – honest "Likes" are always welcome) or via Bandcamp (http://utopianow.bandcamp.com/album/besides). It's a name-your-own-price kind of deal, and this DOES include zero! However, needless to say that people are encouraged to put, say, a 1 or a 2 instead ;)

The next album is set for 2013.

Have fun and pass it on.

Stephan

Music of the almost extinct Bad Religion School of Punk: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Utopia-Now/374050797107?ref=ts
dv802 View Drop Down
Hippy Killer
Hippy Killer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote dv802 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/03/2012 at 14:41
It's good there's a quite a few good amount of songs on here, that I wouldn't believe would be bsides.
Viktor View Drop Down
Billy Gnosis
Billy Gnosis

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Viktor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/03/2012 at 15:13
Good album Stephan. 
They said that islands were solid as bedrock standing firm forevermore, but over time even basement wastes away to the unrelenting shore
-Fatal- Apocalypse View Drop Down
Infected
Infected
Hail!raiser

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote -Fatal- Apocalypse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/03/2012 at 15:37
Good stuff, it's easy indeed to see the link with BR, it's mostly in the drums, reminds me of the way Methadones reminded me of BR, except that you guys are more like modern BR. The singer should rise his testosterone levels a bit though, he sounds like a kindergarten kid.

You might want to check this out, just in case you didn't know already;

*I Remember The Future.*
paulopilha View Drop Down
The Devil In Stitches
The Devil In Stitches
Paulosthesia

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote paulopilha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/03/2012 at 18:30
Very good!
"Finally there's someone to believe".
BringBRTotheUK View Drop Down
Billy Gnosis
Billy Gnosis
demonomaniac

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote BringBRTotheUK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/04/2012 at 08:42
Love Equal Inequality.
drunk-sincerity View Drop Down
Hippy Killer
Hippy Killer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drunk-sincerity Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/04/2012 at 09:39
At work at the moment Stephan but look forward to hearing these tunes when I get home!
Henchman
Henchman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote noparadigm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/04/2012 at 13:19
Thanks for the kind words, guys! They're much appreciated.

As for the singing: Keep in mind that I wrote and recorded most of those songs about 8 years ago (except for the drums and bass) and, more importantly, those songs were merely demos recorded to show the tunes to the band (that's why much of the guitar work is sloppy too). So the singing was never intended to be on a final recording. However, if you feel the same way about all the other albums (check out songs such as "The meaning" on the album "Myopia" or even the really early stuff, such as "The competition" on the EP "Out of the cradle -endlessly rocking") then it's true, and I DO sing like a kindergarten kid ;-)

As for the Business suits and combat boots song: Yeah, someone brought that to my attention once. I'm just glad that this other song was released in 2007, while I wrote my version around 2003/04 (and first released a different version of it on the 2007 album "Myopia" ;-) Otherwise I'd have to seriously ask myself if I had unconsciously been ripping it off...
Music of the almost extinct Bad Religion School of Punk: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Utopia-Now/374050797107?ref=ts
BringBRTotheUK View Drop Down
Billy Gnosis
Billy Gnosis
demonomaniac

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BringBRTotheUK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/04/2012 at 13:42
Talking of your older stuff, I really like the song 'Destroy Me' though the re-recording has overly loud guitar which is a shame as it seems to drown what is a powerfully melodic vocal line. There's definitely more emphasis on the vocals in your newer recordings which is good.

I have a question whilst you're on this forum (as you'll be gone again until next UN release soon) about the song Youniverse. The chorus, in which I presume you're listing the elemental constituents of man, includes Helium. There's no Helium in any organic compound I can think of. Am I missing something?

Thanks for the music.
Henchman
Henchman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote noparadigm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/04/2012 at 14:18
Hey,

you're right, the "Myopia" album was mixed pretty badly, and it bothers me every time I listen to it. There's a lot that's wrong about that production (voices too soft, bass too loud and too metallic with too little actual bass, horrible sounding hihat, kick drum and snare don't really go together well, toms sound like cardboard, and the list goes on and on...). I tried not to allow this to happen to the recordings I'm in control of. That's why voices are considerably louder on any album that followed.

As for "Youniverse", you're spot on again. Helium is chemically inert (although I hear that traces of it can be found in human blood). It doesn't do anything. But it's the second most common ingredient in the universe. I was just juxtaposing the five most common ingredients of the universe and the  human body. So I listed them all.

But I'm no chemistry major (far from it). I'm completely relying on one of my "heroes", astrophysicist Neil deGrasse Tyson, for this one ;)
I Dont Belong View Drop Down
Man With A Mission
Man With A Mission

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote I Dont Belong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/06/2012 at 03:03

Good job with the album.

"The Democratic Party never was, nor ever will be, a true opposition party"
frod79 View Drop Down
Generator
Generator
Frod Almighty

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote frod79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/06/2012 at 15:15
first song vocals had somewhat a 'Progress' sound in the pre-chorus, definitely BR inspired! good stuff.
"Some claim there was no great shoeman in the sky, others say the answer won't be known until the other shoe drops" - Al Bundy
Henchman
Henchman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote noparadigm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/11/2012 at 06:18
Oh, now that's interesting. Haven't listened to "Progress" in ages. Maybe it's high time I do :)

What's funny though: I've received tons of feedback from all over the world, but I'm still waiting for the occasional accusation of being a bad religion rip-off, even though, for the first time in my life, I have actually "ripped something off" of Bad Religion (well, the song was, from the outset, said to be an open tribute to "Anesthesia"), namely the ending of "King for a night" (not the chords or anything, just the specific style) :)

I currently have a problem with a verse on a song for the next EP. I've recorded the demo and then realized that the vocal melody of the verse is the main guitar melody on the main riff of "American Jesus" (even though the chords are different!!!), and now I'm trying to find a way around that that still sounds equally good... I kinda had a similar problem in 2000 or 2001 when I recorded a song with a band. But then I realized it and completely re-wrote and re-recorded the song. But with this one I can't do it, cause it's already (in my view anyway) the best "slow" punk song I've ever written.

What a quandary...
frod79 View Drop Down
Generator
Generator
Frod Almighty

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frod79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/11/2012 at 07:12
Well in this case it's not a rip off....just treat it as a "homage"
"Some claim there was no great shoeman in the sky, others say the answer won't be known until the other shoe drops" - Al Bundy
n1ckb0n3z View Drop Down
Universal Cynic
Universal Cynic
Bass boss but still a n00b

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n1ckb0n3z Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/11/2012 at 09:14

I listened to the album all the way through and to be honest, I wasn't really into it as much as your others. But maybe it will grow on me like all the other new songs that my favorite bands produce. Power of a Desperate Mind will always be in my top favorite songs list.

I want BR to play Anesthesia in every language at every country they go to.
dv802 View Drop Down
Hippy Killer
Hippy Killer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dv802 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/11/2012 at 11:58
Any news on Therapy? Do you think you'll still complete that album?
Marty View Drop Down
Admin
Admin
I'm with her

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/11/2012 at 12:07
I checked out all the songs earlier this week, but I really had a hard time making it through to the end. Although pretty solid production-wise I'm personally missing the 'catchyness'; I hate that word, but you know what I mean... There's nothing that really sticks.
Graffinius View Drop Down
Modern Man
Modern Man

punk bunny in a man suit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graffinius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/11/2012 at 13:42
I listened to the first track, sounds pretty good to me. The drums are great, I like the half time break that happens a few times. 
this thing changes a lot
Henchman
Henchman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote noparadigm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/12/2012 at 02:02
@n1ckb0n3z: Frankly, that's EXACTLY the kind of reaction I was anticipating, since it's my personal view. I mean, there's probably a reason these songs were never released, right? ;) So you can imagine my surprise at the overwhelmingly positive response so far. Oops, what happened to the font? And btw, TPOADM is still one of my absolutely favorite songs (of my own).

@dv802: Yeah, "Therapy" (and hopefully a subsequent 6-song EP) will be finished in 2013, if it's the last thing I'll ever do ;) They're both completely done instrumentally and only lacking vocals. At some point, I just MUST find the time (and recording room)!

@Marty: Yeah, as I said initially, I can totally see that. Even though I thought some of those tunes were "catchy" (and soft) to the point where it hurts – which was one of my personal negatives about it. But well, different strokes for different folks :)

@Graffinius: Thank you very much indeed.
Henchman
Henchman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote noparadigm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/24/2020 at 08:57
Originally posted by dv802 dv802 wrote:

Any news on Therapy? Do you think you'll still complete that album?

Howdi! I don't know if you will ever actually see this - and I can't believe it's 8 years later - but I'm finally finishing that album (16 songs are done recording-wise). There were two EPs released since your original post (one released this very year). But yeah... I just saw this and thought I'd drop a line. Since I doubt anyone who was waiting for "Therapy" (although the title will be different - it#s still a song on the album thoug) was still expecting it to ever see the light of day :D
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic