Forum | The Bad Religion Page - Since 1995 My BR album ranking - The Bad Religion page forum - Page 1
Quote of the day: "Here labeled as a lunatic, sequestered and content. There ignored and defeated by the government." - Against The Grain
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

My BR album ranking

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Mediocre Mind View Drop Down
Hippy Killer
Hippy Killer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mediocre Mind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: My BR album ranking
    Posted: 04/13/2020 at 13:25
Just been curious if anyone would respect my rankings. Just for reference, I’ve been a fan since I heard “You” in THPS2 in 2000, like a lot of people I’m sure.

1. The Gray Race
2. The Empire Strikes First
3. The Process of Belief
4. New Maps of Hell
5. Against the Grain
6. Suffer
7. Stranger Than Fiction
8. Age of Unreason
9. No Control
10. Recipe for Hate
11. True North
12. Generator
13. The Dissent of Man
14. The New America
15. Into the Unknown
16. How Could Hell Be Any Worse?
17. No Substance

Just to be clear, I do NOT dislike any of them. But I feel Generator is the worst of the best and Dissent is the best of the worst.
Also, I struggle with the order Unreason and Control, I know that may be heresy but hey...
coop View Drop Down
Infected
Infected
woman finnisher

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/13/2020 at 15:34
Dissent should be higher. And No Substance. And Generator.
friteman View Drop Down
Henchman
Henchman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote friteman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/22/2020 at 00:32
Totally unable to provide such a ranking! Mine is always changing. Given my mood, general or personnal context... But yeah, there are constants. Rather agree with Coop on those three. On the other hand, TNA and HCHBAW are often at the bottom of my list.
Warstub View Drop Down
The Same Person
The Same Person
Biggest brpage Tool... Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Warstub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/22/2020 at 03:34
I know a lot of people like The Grey Race, but it's hard to respect a list that puts it higher than AtG or No Control. :-p

But hey, props to Empire being so high. I love the album as well, it actually ranks 3rd on my list! :-)
~//~
nropevolI View Drop Down
Infected
Infected
pr0n Jeremy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nropevolI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/22/2020 at 03:41
New maps of hell, true north and age of unreason are bad albums compared to Recipe for hate and Empire.
coop View Drop Down
Infected
Infected
woman finnisher

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote coop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/22/2020 at 15:47
One thing is for sure and that is that True North is on the bottom of the list.
Chainofslowdecay View Drop Down
Hippy Killer
Hippy Killer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chainofslowdecay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/29/2020 at 12:32
I don't think there is a "bad" album but there are certainly albums with songs that are not so hot. The trinity is the trinity because those albums have little to no filler in my opinion. I love Stranger Than Fiction to death, but I'd be lying if I didn't admit Television and What It Is are not very good songs. I like No Substance, but Hippy Killers and Mediocre Minds kinda stink. And so on. 

Luckily, the filler never overtakes the killer on any BR record. 
sigmund freud View Drop Down
Incomplete
Incomplete

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sigmund freud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/10/2020 at 08:43
I do agree  : True North is on the bottom of the list, right there with The New America and Recipe For Hate...
Chainofslowdecay View Drop Down
Hippy Killer
Hippy Killer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chainofslowdecay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/19/2020 at 17:40
True North is the outlier in the catalog for me, in that it doesn't have a ton of stinkers but it doesn't really have any great songs either. Just a bunch of ok songs. I mean, what is the "hit" from that record? Fuck You? That is one of my least favorite BR songs. The title track is decent. I just don't get the urge to listen to True North very often. 

No Substance and New America have aged better for me. They still would probably be lower end of my list, but they both have a weird "mood" to them that makes them stand out. No Substance is so somber, with an almost defeatist tone to it lyrically. And obviously it's super slow. A depressing record, but in a good way, if that makes sense. New America does a 180 and is poppy and strangely positive. I didn't love either record when they came out because they were kind of out there and different than the standard BR playbook, but that is why I like them more now. Same with Into The Unknown, although that is a whole other ballgame. 
Incomplete
Incomplete

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sigmund freud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/20/2020 at 01:20
Pretty interesting and pretty agree with you. Except still that the "True North" song is for me an outstanding song, just as "You've got a chance" was an outstanding opener for "The New America". On my least favorite albums, the great tracks are few. On my good list, great tracks alternate with average. On my top list, great tracks rule it all.
Priesterseminar View Drop Down
Billy Gnosis
Billy Gnosis

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Priesterseminar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/28/2020 at 13:20
been thinking about this thread for some time.. rankings have been done to death and who cares about mine.. but since its always shifting and as an exercise in reevaluation i give it a shot.

counting down seems impossible to me, so i'll try tiers.. but still had a hard time to decide..

top tier (flawless)
the process of belief
the gray race
recipe for hate
generator

honoable mention:
tested

upper tier (close to perfection)
true north 
the dissent of man 
stranger than fiction (including bsides would be top tier)
suffer 

middle tier
age of unreason
the empire strikes first
against the grain
no control

lower tier
christmas songs
30 years live
new maps of hell
the new america
no substance
all ages
into the unknown
how could hell be any worse
the original bad religion

bottom of the barrel:
punk rock songs

"with nothing better to do"
torbar View Drop Down
The Same Person
The Same Person
Doctor of Doctored Photos

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote torbar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/28/2020 at 14:24
This is my list(based on full length studio albums)

The Empire Strikes First
Generator
Stranger Than Fiction
Suffer
No Control
Age of Unreason
The Gray Race
The Process of Belief
How Could Hell Be Any Worse?
Recipe for Hate
The New America
True North
New Maps of Hell
Against The Grain
No Substance
The Dissent of Man
Into the Unknown
Billy Gnosis
Billy Gnosis

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Priesterseminar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/29/2020 at 05:10
Thats really low for dissent.. album took its time to grew on me.. but a couple stinkers aside i find it rather excellent
coop View Drop Down
Infected
Infected
woman finnisher

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/29/2020 at 05:54
There is no stinkers on dissent.
Billy Gnosis
Billy Gnosis

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Priesterseminar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/29/2020 at 07:45
Ad hominen & where the fun is break the flow towards the end.. not a big fan of devil in stiches either but this could be overlooked as in betweener..
coop View Drop Down
Infected
Infected
woman finnisher

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/29/2020 at 09:23
Well, ad hominem i kinda agree..
Also empire and new maps are too low tiers in your list. Fix it!
Incomplete
Incomplete

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sigmund freud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/31/2020 at 01:05
I do agree : The Dissent Of Man, despite a small weakness at the end, is a high ranking album, so much better than True North for example.
Billy Gnosis
Billy Gnosis

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Priesterseminar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/31/2020 at 03:46
The reception of true north seems rather divisive but i never understood why.. i would agree that it has abput thw same amount of songs that do not thrill me as much as dissent has.. and in comparission rather plays it safe.. still both albums rank very high for me.

Please elaborate :)

coop View Drop Down
Infected
Infected
woman finnisher

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/31/2020 at 13:34
Both empire and dissent should be in the top tier. With gray race.

Bottom tier: true north and maybe how could hell..

Rest are in the middle tier and quite impossible to be put in any order.

Age of unreason was very close to being in the top tier, but somehow it has not aged well.

New maps is at the moment closest to being top tier.
Billy Gnosis
Billy Gnosis

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Priesterseminar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/02/2020 at 10:22
Two things that prohibit new maps for ranking higher for me are the production and the running order of the songs (plus i dont like the artwork too much)
You might consider those points minor but to me it factors in with the overall appreciation.

The production of TN reminds me a lot of TPOB which probably does have the best sounding mix next to RFH.. at least to me..

Pretty early to say how AOU will age.. with TN i would have actulally been satisfied if it would have turned out to be their last record.. AOU still leaves my curious for what might be coming next.. AOU is more like the first step in a possible slightly new direction.. even that late in their game..
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic