Forum | The Bad Religion Page - Since 1995 Not really feeling this book - The Bad Religion page forum - Page 2
Quote of the day: "Don't tell me about the answer 'cause then another one will come along soon." - The Answer
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Not really feeling this book

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
ikillkenny View Drop Down
The Devil In Stitches
The Devil In Stitches

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ikillkenny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/25/2020 at 19:51
Originally posted by Chainofslowdecay Chainofslowdecay wrote:

Originally posted by Priesterseminar Priesterseminar wrote:

btw. what about bobby? did he got interviewed for the book or participated in any way?

his departure from the band almost struck me more than hetsons.. guess it depends on when you got into BR but both hetson and bobby defined the image of the band in an iconic way when i first got into BR almost as much as graffin.. which was around gray race but i got the big bang and along the way vhs pretty soon afterward..
all of them didnt seem "cool", or "punk" just some rather shy guys who didnt care about fitting in and i am probably not the only one that could relate to that while growing up..

Totally agree. I was into grunge and punk in the early 90s but a lot of that still seemed very style-oriented. I wasn't into mohawks or bondage pants, but I liked the music. Hearing and seeing BR- just a bunch of average looking guys doing songs on impossibly deep subjects compared to their wilder-looking peers...that really spoke to me. 

And yeah I still think the mid-90s Brian-Jay-Bobby-Hetson-Graffin was the peak live Bad Religion lineup. Greg's voice was perfect and it just sounded great. Not sure why they almost never discuss Bobby anymore, since he left on good terms via injury. 

Almost all of the band's drummers are interviewed in the book. Bobby gets a pretty sympathetic portrayal in it. He's presented as studious (learning the band's entire catalogue for his audition, caring about the music history of places the band travels to). There aren't any indications in the book that his departure was due to anything other than his injury.

From what I remember, he mostly has positive things to say about the band in his quotes.

Pete Finestone comes in for more criticism--some it from Pete himself. It talks about how he wasn't up to snuff for Into the Unknown and had to use a click track to get the beat right for Sanity. His departure is still presented in a relatively positive light. It pins his leaving to a combination of not being told a gig had been cancelled and getting an offer with another band.
-Mike, Former Host of the Bad Religion Podcast
coop View Drop Down
Infected
Infected
woman finnisher

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/25/2020 at 19:53
Why was Hetson kicked out after that brett-show?
coop View Drop Down
Infected
Infected
woman finnisher

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/25/2020 at 20:01
And yeah. Bobby was great, but with Hetson leaving, live shows lost huge amounts of energy and impact so to speak. So that really hurt more than Bobby leaving.
Watcho! View Drop Down
Billy Gnosis
Billy Gnosis
BrettOnTour #1 Supporter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Watcho! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/25/2020 at 21:30
Yeah the live show lost energy big time. They replaced the bouncy guy with someone who just stands there chewing gum.
I think this is a post we can redo In every language of every country we go to
markust5775 View Drop Down
Lost Pilgrim
Lost Pilgrim

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote markust5775 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/25/2020 at 21:48
I had to go look at a review I wrote for the last time I saw Bad Religion, which was one of Hetson's last shows;

I've seen video footage of shows since, but it's not quite the same with Greg H. rocking out on stage left, playing that famous SG halfway up the fretboard.
Priesterseminar View Drop Down
Billy Gnosis
Billy Gnosis

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Priesterseminar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/26/2020 at 04:02
Got my copy today, plus the coloring bootleg book.

My short review of the coloring book: its crap! 
Contains badly xeroxed images of the band, artwork and posters but not edited in a way that you could actually color it with a pencil.
I dont know if the publishers have ever seen a real coloring book.
Avoid at all cost!
"with nothing better to do"
ocotes View Drop Down
Blenderhead
Blenderhead

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ocotes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/26/2020 at 12:37
What's that bootleg book?
Is it a companion to released one?
Billy Gnosis
Billy Gnosis

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Priesterseminar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/26/2020 at 12:54
I thought everyone was aware and anticipation for this release:

https://www.amazon.de/Bad-Religion-Adult-Coloring-Book/dp/170769267X/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=bad+religion+coloring&qid=1598460765&sr=8-1
Lost Pilgrim
Lost Pilgrim

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote markust5775 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/26/2020 at 14:03
That colouring book came up when I was searching Amazon for the new book, and the reviews said all you need to know.  :)
ikillkenny View Drop Down
The Devil In Stitches
The Devil In Stitches

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ikillkenny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/26/2020 at 14:16
Originally posted by coop coop wrote:

Why was Hetson kicked out after that brett-show?

Poor playing, but I think the implication is that the poor playing came from some root cause not mentioned that Hetson wasn't dealing with.
-Mike, Former Host of the Bad Religion Podcast
coop View Drop Down
Infected
Infected
woman finnisher

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/26/2020 at 21:01
So best way to help him was to kick him out. Seems odd to me.
Robo Pilgrim View Drop Down
Generator
Generator
linkage robot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robo Pilgrim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/27/2020 at 03:23
They kicked him out to give him time to sort his shit out.
Go on take a swig of that poison and like it
Billy Gnosis
Billy Gnosis

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Priesterseminar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/27/2020 at 03:50
The book would have been a good chance to bring some closure into that issue but guess we also have to accept that some things are kept in between those guys for a reason. 
Everyrhing else are just assumptions.. 

Mjd78 View Drop Down
Lost Pilgrim
Lost Pilgrim

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mjd78 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/30/2020 at 23:00
My biggest head scratcher was that they claimed to have 400 songs, but I only have 300, including all the demos. I am wondering what the extra 100 songs are that I am not counting!
coop View Drop Down
Infected
Infected
woman finnisher

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/31/2020 at 11:25
I'm not really feeling the band anymore.
Joe Dawson View Drop Down
Lost Pilgrim
Lost Pilgrim

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe Dawson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/31/2020 at 13:38
 Well...  I'm not gonna told you my penis size and i'm not gonna told you my bank account number.

Some things just have to be a secret.

If you thought that they're gonna told You everything then you're aaa ... naive ... yeah, a naive !

Hypothetically, if i would be old - popular singer and some guy would make the book about me
  i wouldn't  tell him everything !
  I wouldn't  tell YOU about my ex wife, the problems with the police or the girl that i have the sex with now ...

At first i was disappointed too...  

You want it or not, but the Guys are gonna end ( COVID etc )  sooner or later.
   Watch them, while You still can ! ! !

It's really Super that The Book was made.

Maybe  it's not all ideal but You can really learn something about the band's history. 

Enjoy it !  While They still exist   :)  ... 

coop View Drop Down
Infected
Infected
woman finnisher

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/31/2020 at 15:28
Yeah, they sell you lies! Just kidding. Will probably get the book at some point in time. Not in a hurry though.

Feels like there is not much new stuff and lots of inaccuracies.
Lost Pilgrim
Lost Pilgrim

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote markust5775 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/31/2020 at 23:41
I got the Sick of it All book at the same time....I'm only a quarter of the way into it, but it's entertaining the hell out of me, which is more than I can say about the BR book.  
Chainofslowdecay View Drop Down
Hippy Killer
Hippy Killer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chainofslowdecay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/01/2020 at 19:32
I haven't obtained the book yet, but I find it curious that a band of such well-read individuals would have a sloppy author do their book. I always envisioned a BR book to be long, poetic, and having lots of footnotes. I mean look at Brett's book list in the Answer section here for christ sake. 
Watcho! View Drop Down
Billy Gnosis
Billy Gnosis
BrettOnTour #1 Supporter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Watcho! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/03/2020 at 00:28
Originally posted by Chainofslowdecay Chainofslowdecay wrote:

but I find it curious that a band of such well-read individuals would have a sloppy author do their book. 

I kept thinking this too.

Hetson had a problem with pills and it was affecting his performance. The band decided to kick him out and offered to pay for rehab. He went to rehab (successfully) but the band never followed through with their end of the offer. When the book was being written, Hetson asked for nominal pay for contributing, but the band said no so he declined to participate for free.

The way the book compresses time makes it seem like the band’s lineup was constantly changing, which I think is probably on purpose. We all love the guys in the band, but some of them are dicks at times and none of them are going to let an erratic member drag things down.
I think this is a post we can redo In every language of every country we go to
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic