Forum | The Bad Religion Page - Since 1995 The most misunderstood BR song - The Bad Religion page forum
Quote of the day: "Here labeled as a lunatic, sequestered and content. There ignored and defeated by the government." - Against The Grain
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

The most misunderstood BR song

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Priesterseminar View Drop Down
Billy Gnosis
Billy Gnosis

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Priesterseminar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The most misunderstood BR song
    Posted: 09/07/2020 at 14:31
Do what you want.

Is it pro doing what you want or contra? 

I always thought it was clever twist to subvert that anarchy ethos.. 

Maybe i was overthinking it the whole time.. i always took away the notion that we habs human beings are not capable to really contribute to our well being by doing what we want.. 

My only argument: Do what you want, but dont do it around me.

Granted not much else in the lyrics is supporting of my claim.. hearing even the guys who wrote it tall about it in a way like "do what you want" is the perfect title for the book because simply put "we always did what we want" got me wondering about that again..
"with nothing better to do"
Chainofslowdecay View Drop Down
Hippy Killer
Hippy Killer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chainofslowdecay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/07/2020 at 20:14
Interesting take. I agree the song is somewhat ambivalent about rules and freedom. I always thought that was the general theme, encompassed in that opening line. Humans tend to have a "live and let live" attitude until it is in their face. The "not in my backyard" syndrome. And I think it also means that by saying "do what you want" that means you have to live with people doing things that you may disdain, like being unproductive slobs. 

I dunno, judging from other Brett songs like Hooray for Me, I think he believes in freedom, but with freedom comes baggage, ala Damned to be Free or that line in The Lie. 

As for misunderstood songs, probably Better off Dead, even though it isn't a hit. Too many people I have talked to take it literally. 
Billy Gnosis
Billy Gnosis

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Priesterseminar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/10/2020 at 17:18
Originally posted by Chainofslowdecay Chainofslowdecay wrote:

As for misunderstood songs, probably Better off Dead, even though it isn't a hit. Too many people I have talked to take it literally. 

Well i also took better of dead quiet literally.. same sentiment as pity the dead.. didnt read any other layer of meaning or sarcasm in both songs..
Hippy Killer
Hippy Killer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chainofslowdecay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/10/2020 at 18:50
Originally posted by Priesterseminar Priesterseminar wrote:

Well i also took better of dead quiet literally.. same sentiment as pity the dead.. didnt read any other layer of meaning or sarcasm in both songs..

I always took it as a a tongue-in-cheek take on people who complain all the time, but make no effort to change, understand, or accept. A lot of people I knew- especially in the prozac-laced mid-90s when it came out- thought it was about depression or suicide or literally saying we are all better off dead. At that time there were lots of songs like that so maybe that is why.  
coop View Drop Down
Infected
Infected
woman finnisher

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/10/2020 at 20:24
What is better off dead about? God apologizing for creating this world for us ungrateful idiots?

Edited by coop - 09/10/2020 at 20:53
Warstub View Drop Down
The Same Person
The Same Person
Biggest brpage Tool... Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Warstub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/10/2020 at 22:39
Television is sooooo misunderstood! All this hate for a good song, eet joost bloos me moined!
~//~
noparadigm View Drop Down
Henchman
Henchman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote noparadigm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/11/2020 at 01:50
The most misunderstood BR song has to be The Resist-stance. I kept seeing people claiming it's a resistance song. A "prototypical punk anthem" or whatever bullshit they would say. While, in a way, it's the exact opposite and precisely what the world of "punks" and "alternative people" and activists needs (but unsurprinsigly wouldn't be able to grasp). A song about using your brain throughout the impulse to take up a stands of resistance and not letting it turn you into the babbling, slobbering mindless idiot that many of these so-called "freethinkers" (who can't even spell words  such complexity and nuance) are. 
It's somewhat ironic actually. 
If this were just another resistance song I don't think I'd be the Bad Religion aficionado I am. 
Hippy Killer
Hippy Killer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chainofslowdecay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/11/2020 at 18:37
Originally posted by noparadigm noparadigm wrote:

The most misunderstood BR song has to be The Resist-stance. I kept seeing people claiming it's a resistance song. A "prototypical punk anthem" or whatever bullshit they would say. While, in a way, it's the exact opposite and precisely what the world of "punks" and "alternative people" and activists needs (but unsurprinsigly wouldn't be able to grasp). A song about using your brain throughout the impulse to take up a stands of resistance and not letting it turn you into the babbling, slobbering mindless idiot that many of these so-called "freethinkers" (who can't even spell words  such complexity and nuance) are. 
It's somewhat ironic actually. 
If this were just another resistance song I don't think I'd be the Bad Religion aficionado I am. 

Good take, and I agree. BR has always had a strong stance on consensus and zealotry.

This is the EXACT reason why I hated Alt-right so much. It's not that have anything but distain for the "alt right" it's that the lyrics were simplistic, on the nose, and politically partisan in a mainstream way.   
Billy Gnosis
Billy Gnosis

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Priesterseminar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/11/2020 at 19:01
Yeah well i also never got that resist stance is about anything more than resisting and taking a stance against the status quo.. 
I found that rather simplistic and never a big fan of the song for this reason. 
Would love to have misunderstood it the whole time, but after looking at the lyrics again i couldnt find much to back up your point.. 

And i actually grew to like tkaar.. agreed the message is straight forward, but the critique of the alt right blending into main stream holds up and is valid.. not only but especially in the american context.. song structure wise its a fresh take on the formula, catchy and recognizable.. maybe too catchy or simplistic for some, i can see that too, but to me a way more interessting piece of music than for example my sanity..

markust5775 View Drop Down
Lost Pilgrim
Lost Pilgrim

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote markust5775 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/11/2020 at 20:48
Originally posted by coop coop wrote:

What is better off dead about? God apologizing for creating this world for us ungrateful idiots?

I always just took it as a narcissist who thinks he's responsible for everything and goes on an overindulgent tirade of sarcastic apology lol. It's the Kids in the Hall fan in me.
markust5775 View Drop Down
Lost Pilgrim
Lost Pilgrim

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote markust5775 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/11/2020 at 20:51

Do what you want.

Is it pro doing what you want or contra? 

I always thought it was clever twist to subvert that anarchy ethos.. 

Maybe i was overthinking it the whole time.. i always took away the notion that we habs human beings are not capable to really contribute to our well being by doing what we want.. 

My only argument: Do what you want, but dont do it around me.

Granted not much else in the lyrics is supporting of my claim.. hearing even the guys who wrote it tall about it in a way like "do what you want" is the perfect title for the book because simply put "we always did what we want" got me wondering about that again..

I think Do What You Want starts off in that vein...do what you want...over there....make your unfamiliar stand while I sit on my ass and do nothing over here. 

In the second verse, "My moniker is man and I'm rotten to the core" I think he's validating it; you might think I'm bad, but I'll wreck everything you've built up to get answers.  and that's kinda supported by the chorus....you may be identified in one light, but you're really tearing shit down to get to the truth, breaking all the fuckin rules, etc. Sadly, in the end it won't mean a damn thing.  
Warstub View Drop Down
The Same Person
The Same Person
Biggest brpage Tool... Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Warstub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/12/2020 at 03:05
Originally posted by markust5775 markust5775 wrote:

Do what you want.

Is it pro doing what you want or contra? I always thought it was clever twist to subvert that anarchy ethos...

I think Do What You Want starts off in that vein...do what you want...over there....make your unfamiliar stand while I sit on my ass and do nothing over here. 

In the second verse, "My moniker is man and I'm rotten to the core" I think he's validating it; you might think I'm bad, but I'll wreck everything you've built up to get answers.  and that's kinda supported by the chorus....you may be identified in one light, but you're really tearing shit down to get to the truth, breaking all the fuckin rules, etc. Sadly, in the end it won't mean a damn thing.  
I think he was just being cynical and sarcastic at the same time.
~//~
Groomits View Drop Down
Man With A Mission
Man With A Mission

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Groomits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/16/2020 at 14:11
Originally posted by coop coop wrote:

Smarti had a good interpretation of this song, in the discography section, and it's what I've always understood as well : 

"I think this song is completely sarcastic. It's saying, "I'm SO SORRY the world doesn't meet your exacting specifications. Next time I'm in charge of creating the universe, I'll be sure to consult with you, so you aren't so HORRIBLY disappointed. In the mean time, I guess you have no choice but to kill yourself, because the world isn't exactly what you want."
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic