Forum | The Bad Religion Page - Since 1995 Rank and rate the following albums - The Bad Religion page forum
Quote of the day: "Yeah you waste your time with losers if you get stuck in a rock-n-roll band." - What Can You Do?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Rank and rate the following albums

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
barrelman View Drop Down
Hippy Killer
Hippy Killer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote barrelman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rank and rate the following albums
    Posted: 09/09/2020 at 17:55
I'm curious what the perception of the more recent(ish) albums are, as there seems to be a lot of mixed opinions regarding the latest albums.

How would you guys rank the following albums: True North, The Dissent of Man, Age of Unreason and New Maps of Hell (It seems that this album isn't hugely popular, but I prefer it to Empire, which seems to be a very popular album).

I think my initial ranking/rating is:

1 New Maps of Hell - 8.5/10
2 True North - 7/10
3 The Dissent of Man - 6/10
4 Age of Unreason - not too keen but i give it a 5/10

Edited by barrelman - 09/09/2020 at 17:58
frod79 View Drop Down
Generator
Generator
Frod Almighty

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frod79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/09/2020 at 18:51
hmm...

i think mine is almost backwards

True North (tend to skip In Their Hearts is Right, Popular Consensus) 
Age of Unreason (Tend to skip  Faces of Grief, Big Black Dog,  Downfall)  
Dissent of Man (Tend to skip turn your back on me, where the fun is, i won't say anything) 
New Maps of Hell (Tend to skip murder, scrutiny,  grand delusion, submission complete) 

I'm basing my ranking on the following scale -
If i am in my  car with the album playing, how many songs do i end up skipping on average.  The higher the ranking the fewer songs skipped. Songs aren't bad i just feel like with these songs ommitted the album is stronger.  Quite a few good songs on NMOH but never really fell in love with this album for one reason or another 

Edited by frod79 - 09/09/2020 at 19:07
"Some claim there was no great shoeman in the sky, others say the answer won't be known until the other shoe drops" - Al Bundy
coop View Drop Down
Infected
Infected
woman finnisher

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/09/2020 at 19:14
On a scale of 1-10

Dissent: 10/10
New maps: 8/10
AOU: i can't really say but better than TN
TN: 3/10

Seems like lately my interest in the band has been getting almost non-existent. So I tend to skip all but Gray Race, Empire, New maps and Dissent (the albums). Sad times.
Chainofslowdecay View Drop Down
Hippy Killer
Hippy Killer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chainofslowdecay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/09/2020 at 23:02
New Maps: 7
Dissent: 7
True North: 5
AoU: 6

New Maps has some great songs but it is too long and has filler. Dissent also has great songs but a couple stinkers. Has it's own vibe too. True North...just a ton of mediocre songs and no greats IMO. AoU is back to some really good songs but a few not so great too. The fall off in drumming has become more noticeable to me over time as well, which is weird because I thought I'd get used to it. 
Mjd78 View Drop Down
Lost Pilgrim
Lost Pilgrim

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mjd78 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/10/2020 at 00:52
New Maps 8/10
True North 8/10
Age of Unreason 7/10
Dissent of Man 5/10
Warstub View Drop Down
The Same Person
The Same Person
Biggest brpage Tool... Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Warstub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/10/2020 at 05:12

1. New Maps of Hell - 8.5/10: Great album, the last of their best work. Except for Honest Goodbye and Prodigal Son. Those two songs can burn in hell.
2. True North - 3/10: 3 songs I like
3. The Dissent of Man - 5/10: half the album is good. Which songs depends on who you ask.
4. Age of Unreason - 0/10: There aren't any songs I like. Worse than Into the Unknown, and coming from me that's saying a lot!
~//~
Priesterseminar View Drop Down
Billy Gnosis
Billy Gnosis

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Priesterseminar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/10/2020 at 06:09
the "how many songs do i usually skip" method is a good one i guess.

1. True North 9/10 (Robin Hood + Dep. of false hope)
2. The Dissent of Man 8,5/10 (Devil, Hominem, Fun)
3. Age of Unreason 7.5 /10 (My Sanity, Paranoid, Age of Unreason)
4. New Maps 7/10 (Honest Goodbye, Murder, 52 Seconds, Dearly Beloved)

Edited by Priesterseminar - 09/16/2020 at 06:09
"with nothing better to do"
coop View Drop Down
Infected
Infected
woman finnisher

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/10/2020 at 09:24
Hey priest, you skip all the best tracks! I agree on hominem, murder and 52 seconds.
marvthezombie View Drop Down
The Devil In Stitches
The Devil In Stitches

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote marvthezombie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/10/2020 at 10:05
1. New Maps (I legitimately can't find anything wrong with this album — yes, even the bordering-on-hammy Prodigal Son counts. Those oozin' ahs kill me every time)
2. True North (TN came out at a dark time in my life and those lightning-fast tunes brought a lot of light in)
3. Age of Unreason (It's not Dissent of Man)
4. Dissent of Man (It's not Age of Unreason)
Procreation without gain or purpose/ Languid wills and torped minds/ Catapulted ever faster by the arrow of time/ You take yours and I'll keep mine.
hetson87 View Drop Down
Blenderhead
Blenderhead

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hetson87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/10/2020 at 10:11
1. NMOH (No skip necessary) 9/10
2. AOU (After a long time of listening now i´m sometimes skipping Big Black Dog, not because of the lyrics, because of the acoustics) 8,5/10
3. TN 6/10 (No real skips but i don´t like the sound of the tunes. They sound like the band played with plastic instruments. Like Brooks played on a blimp and the guitars were almost wrecked. I don´t know. The sound of AOU is so much more convenient)
4. TDOM 5/10 (I´m skipping all Brett songs except Only Rain and Ad Hominem)

Billy Gnosis
Billy Gnosis

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Priesterseminar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/10/2020 at 11:40
Originally posted by coop coop wrote:

Hey priest, you skip all the best tracks! I agree on hominem, murder and 52 seconds.

i do?
well you know how it is.. sometimes songs or records grow on you or you reconsider after you put them into new context.. happened to me with DOM (which i didnt like at all at release) or even NS or NA.. 

but those couple of songs remain on my stinker list constantly.. 
Mjd78 View Drop Down
Lost Pilgrim
Lost Pilgrim

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mjd78 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/10/2020 at 16:59
New Maps 8/10
True North 8/10
Age of Unreason 7/10
Dissent of Man 5/10
nropevolI View Drop Down
Infected
Infected
pr0n Jeremy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nropevolI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/12/2020 at 05:21
TDOM. 9/10 good songs. Good production
NMOH 6/10 probably good songs if album had suffer or generator production instead of metal producer.
True North 5/10 only interesting thing is that Brett sings a song and some good songs near the end like Island, Ghost and changing tides.
AoU 4/10 no excellent songs at all. Only stuff they did before but better. 
Billy Gnosis
Billy Gnosis

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Priesterseminar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/12/2020 at 06:00
Wasnt every record from tpob to tn produced by the same guy? 

Like them or not but AoU has a couple of songs that differ a lot from their "regular" style.. i am thinking about big black dog, candidate, lose your head, downfall or tkaar..
Gay Luigi View Drop Down
Blenderhead
Blenderhead

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay Luigi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/12/2020 at 08:00
1. New Maps of Hell - 9/10
2. Age of Unreason - 8/10
3. True North - 7/10
4. The Dissent of Man - 5/10
You know what they say - all toasters toast toast!
box55 View Drop Down
Lost Pilgrim
Lost Pilgrim

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote box55 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/12/2020 at 20:49
1 new maps of hell (the 5 best songs from this album are better than the best 5 of most BR albums)
2 true north
3 age of unreason (I like 7-8 songs from this a lot tho)
3 dissent (wjere the fun is long and boring, and the side B of the album is long, slow and boring)

Pac View Drop Down
Lost Pilgrim
Lost Pilgrim

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/14/2020 at 09:14
1. New Maps of Hell - 9/10 (So sad that the best songs on this album have never being played live)
2. Age of Unreason - 8.5/10 (Just the fact that this was out after 40 years as a band is tremendous)
3. The Dissent of Man - 7.5/10 (Unfortunately an uneven album, although a very mature one)
4. True North - 7/10 (I really really tried to like this album more; Nothing to dismay is a good anthem and The Island sounds like good ol' BR)
Harbortown View Drop Down
The Devil In Stitches
The Devil In Stitches

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Harbortown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/16/2020 at 03:57
Originally posted by marvthezombie marvthezombie wrote:

1. New Maps (I legitimately can't find anything wrong with this album — yes, even the bordering-on-hammy Prodigal Son counts. Those oozin' ahs kill me every time)
The oozin' ahs make the song, they're amazing! Well that and other things, but they really are good.
https://soundcloud.com/johnzackarias/
Groomits View Drop Down
Man With A Mission
Man With A Mission

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Groomits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/16/2020 at 10:16
1. Age Of Unreason 8/10 : My Sanity, The Approach, AoU, Candidate, Old Regime are some of their best songs since TPoB. Jamie brought simplicity to drums, and it sounds like the band was less trying to make Brooks happy, and more focused on making good overall songs.

2. The Dissent of Man 6/10 : Sounds like a B-Sides album, where every song was written and recorded at a different time, different place. (Meeting of the minds is clearly a left over from New Maps). No guidelines or common theme. Slower songs have grown on me tough, like Turn Your Back, Cyanide, I Won't say Anything. It's not a good "Bad Religion" album, but I think it is "A" good album generally speaking.

3. New Maps 4/10 : The production kills it. Way too much fillers songs. Grand Delusion is my favorite (and some would consider that one a filler as well), and looking at the track list, I'm not interested in listening to any other songs.

4. True North 1/10 : The "we'll take no risks with this one" album. Every song is at best a mediocre version of something they did better before. Only song with a little soul is Dept. of False Hope. Bland album that I don't see the point of listening to.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic