Forum | The Bad Religion Page - Since 1995 Lose your head demo - The Bad Religion page forum
Quote of the day: "Yeah you waste your time with losers if you get stuck in a rock-n-roll band." - What Can You Do?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Lose your head demo

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groomits View Drop Down
Man With A Mission
Man With A Mission

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Groomits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Lose your head demo
    Posted: 09/13/2020 at 18:09
https://youtu.be/tw_3bNTY-uU

I haven't seen it posted on here, or maybe I didn't look well.

With a double beat, makes it more punky. I'm not sure I like it better than the final version though.
walder View Drop Down
Henchman
Henchman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote walder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/13/2020 at 18:32
I like the cover mostly. The album version sounds harder and gloomier, so much better.
Different lyrics, that’s what will turn true fans on.

Edited by walder - 09/13/2020 at 18:35
No equality
No opportunity
No tolerance for the progressive alternative
coop View Drop Down
Infected
Infected
woman finnisher

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/13/2020 at 19:36
Was not turned on. But back when i was a true fan, i would have been.
box55 View Drop Down
Lost Pilgrim
Lost Pilgrim

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote box55 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/13/2020 at 20:54
Don't like the album version. This is better but still should've been a b-side.
Chainofslowdecay View Drop Down
Hippy Killer
Hippy Killer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chainofslowdecay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/13/2020 at 23:59
I like it a bit better. I do like the verses on the slower album version, with the muted guitars. But overall the song is just so damn poppy in slow form, it almost needs the double-time beat to keep the punk edge.

At either speed, not one of the better songs on AoU IMO. 
Warstub View Drop Down
The Same Person
The Same Person
Biggest brpage Tool... Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Warstub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/14/2020 at 03:55
The vocals are so ...meh. Real boring.

But yeah, the tempo is way better.
~//~
Warstub View Drop Down
The Same Person
The Same Person
Biggest brpage Tool... Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Warstub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/14/2020 at 03:58
Oh my god. I just listened to the album version. It sucks. Speed it up 50% - it's now passable.
~//~
hetson87 View Drop Down
Blenderhead
Blenderhead

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hetson87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/14/2020 at 04:26
I created a Spotify Playlist replacing the album version by the demo version of Lose Your Head. 

It creates a different album due to much more pace in the common feeling of the album. This made me thinking about changing the track order into this (Keep in mind, that Lose Your Head is the demo version):

1. What tomorrow brings
2. Chaos from within
3. Downfall
4. Lose your head
5. Faces of Grief
6. Age of Unreason
7. Since When
8. Big Black Dog
9. Paranoid Style
10. Old Regime
11. The Approach
12. My Sanity
13. Candidate
14. End of History 
coop View Drop Down
Infected
Infected
woman finnisher

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/14/2020 at 09:53
Bit off topic, but what person above me said, made me think about AOU and it's track order, there is something really strangely wrong with it. There are many good songs on the album, but it feels like a mess. Makes me not want to listen it any more. It begins with the worst song and then comes the best. Both feel out of place. And the rest seems odd too.  I don't know, maybe it's just me.
marvthezombie View Drop Down
The Devil In Stitches
The Devil In Stitches

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote marvthezombie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/14/2020 at 12:20
Truth be told, I'm glad they stuck with the album version. The atmosphere on the verses is brilliant, but the chorus still gets a bit too poppy for my taste. It's at least enough to break it up from the rest of the album. The demo version just doesn't distinguish itself from anything else and blends in as an average BR tune.
Procreation without gain or purpose/ Languid wills and torped minds/ Catapulted ever faster by the arrow of time/ You take yours and I'll keep mine.
walder View Drop Down
Henchman
Henchman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote walder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/14/2020 at 13:54
However, the word causality just stuck in my mind. The word of the month.
No equality
No opportunity
Priesterseminar View Drop Down
Billy Gnosis
Billy Gnosis

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Priesterseminar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/14/2020 at 15:11
The order of the tracklist is something that bothered me on a lot of br records.. 

Shades of truth shouldnt have been the second track on No Substance, i like it but it just drags the whole thing down coming in so soon.

NMOH running order as it was originally intended (including new chapter) also has a much nicer flow. Fields of mars seems like an obvious choice as a closing track.. but having it as third track breaks up the monotony of new dark ages/heroes and martyrs/germs of perfection.. all great and fast songs but coming one after another always felt a bit redundant to me.. to the point where they all sound the same..

Since i like the non album tracks of AoU and felt they are totally out of place on the cd version, i experimented with the running order as well and made this my almost perfect( at least for my taste) variant version:

01. Profane rights of man
02. The age of unreason
03. Old regime
04. Chaos from within
05. The kids are altright
06. Since when
07. Faces of grief
08. The approach
09. Do the paranoid style
10. End of history
11. Candidate
12. Downfall
13. My sanity
14. Lose your head
15. Big black dog
16. What tomorrow brings

Profane woudld have been a great opener, very recognizable and cachy, nice riff.. nothing to far from the ordinary, rather classic way to start the album off..

I really like the ending of lose your head followed by the brutal hammering intro of big black dog. Give it a try ;)

A lot of people complained about since when and downfall being the worst songs.. at first i felt almost the same. Having those songs so close together and just before the final track wasnt the best decision.. (kinda same issue like DOM)
So mixing those two songs somewhere in between really helps bringing some more variety to the overall experience..

Guess all of that is highly subjective.. but it helped me to find some more enjoyment in some of brs records that a good to great but still leave you with the feeling that they could be greater ;)

Edited by Priesterseminar - 09/14/2020 at 16:52
"with nothing better to do"
Chainofslowdecay View Drop Down
Hippy Killer
Hippy Killer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chainofslowdecay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/14/2020 at 15:50
Most song order preferences are dictated by how much people like or dislike a song, and there seems to be a very wide range of opinions on AoU as to what the good songs and not so good songs are. 

I think it generally follows the playbook BR has used since Recipe. A few fast songs to start, a slow jam/radio song, some experimental stuff in the mid to late section, a couple filler songs, then a good ender. Most albums might stray from one of those, but in general I find it to be true.  What Tomorrow Brings seems like a natural ender, even though I think it's pretty weak compared to a lot of other enders. 

priest, I totally agree with your NS and New Maps takes. 
hetson87 View Drop Down
Blenderhead
Blenderhead

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hetson87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/15/2020 at 02:13
Especially the track order of AoU can change a lot the perception of these songs and finally of the entire album perception. Putting together Downfall and Since when at the end of the record is like a downgrade. E.g. Age of Unreason as penultimate song wouldn´t feel like that. Equally the last three songs in my proposal of the track order are deviated by the TESF track order, where some slower songs end a turbulent album. And nobody mentions TESF as a bad album...
Groomits View Drop Down
Man With A Mission
Man With A Mission

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Groomits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/15/2020 at 09:37
Off topic but just a little love for Since Now. It has great lyrics and one of the best chorus on the album in my opinion. It comes at you like a brick wall in four parts : back vocals, wall of sound from the guitars, oozin aahs and then Greg's voice. Cool solo too.

I never skip it even if the verses are boring musically.
coop View Drop Down
Infected
Infected
woman finnisher

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/15/2020 at 10:31
Off topic, but since when is almost ruined by it's chorus. It feels like.. i don't know.. that not a lot tought went to it.

Verses are one of the highlights on the album.
walder View Drop Down
Henchman
Henchman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote walder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/15/2020 at 12:03
Originally posted by Groomits Groomits wrote:

Off topic but just a little love for Since Now. It has great lyrics and one of the best chorus on the album in my opinion. It comes at you like a brick wall in four parts : back vocals, wall of sound from the guitars, oozin aahs and then Greg's voice. Cool solo too.

I never skip it even if the verses are boring musically.

Couldn’t agree more. And What Tomorrow Brings comes as a logical follow-up to Since Now. I perceive them as one double song. Their order on the album is alright.
No equality
No opportunity
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic